INVICTA & ZODIAC WATCHES WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Postby koimaster » February 22nd 2010, 3:38pm

I found this while researching some of the Zodiac watches out there. An interesting rant to say the least.

by: m1ghtyk0ng( 732)
23 out of 33 people found this guide helpful.
Guide viewed: 2889 times Tags: SUPPOSED SWISS WATCHES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When people are auctioning Invicta or Zodiac watches they tend to blab on about how certain models are swiss made. Invicta models that claim they are swiss made are assembled by Invicta with supposedly swiss parts. The same goes for Zodiac. Zodiac actually claims there watches are swiss made but they are not. They are assembled with supposed Swiss parts by Fossil. I found this out by calling their service line for a new watch that I bought, and was told this by the sales girl. I wanted three extra links installed on my Zodiac watch and they refused to send the links to me but instead had me mail my watch to them so they could install the links. Be careful buying any watch that claims it is swiss made on eBay because 90 per cent of them are made in china with swiss parts. Do your homework and you will see.

The post by Swiss watch boutique regarding the selling of non registered dealer watches is incorrect. CITIZEN, SEIKO, OMEGA, ROLEX, PATEK PHILLIPE, etc, etc, do not endorse their products being sold on the internet for one reason only. It kills the value of the watch. They only want you to be able to buy their watches at high prices via registered dealers and if any one tells you different, they are lying. Period. Want proof? Why dont you simply call Rolex and ask for your self and stop listening to these idiots trying to peddle inferior crap.

None of the high end watch manufacturers will honor their warranties if they know you bought the watch through a non registered dealer, and they will know because they know who their registered dealers are. Dont fall for the, we provide a sales receipt trick either, because if they are not registered dealers and you need warranty work, the manufacturer will not honor it. Simple. If someone is selling a 6000.00 Rolex on ebay for 3000.00 and claiming its new with box and papers, there is something wrong with the deal you can be absolutely sure. Follow this advice like the bible and you will not go wrong.

If you are going to buy a high end or high dollar watch of any name brand, please do some internet investigative work first. 90 per cent of watches being auctioned with swiss made movements are simply swiss parts assembled in china and you could potentially pay a couple grand for these junk watches. Look at the Invicta category for examples. Trust me, I have spent thousands of dollars on watches over the years and I have learned hard lessons. Learn from my mistakes. I hate to see people get rooked into buying a supposedly swiss made watch glorified seven ways to eaven with diamond bezels anbd so forth, for a couple grand when the watch cost about 150.00 to get.

Diamonds used in bezels are 90 per cent JUNK, CRAP, GARBAGIO! Plain english. They are worthless diamond chips that only shine because they use special lights to make them shine. Once you get them in the sunshine under certain times of the day, They look like the garbage they are. Think. No one is selling a 5000.00 watch for 1000.00 NO ONE! Unless there is a reason, and there usually is. Its garbage.

http://reviews.ebay.com/INVICTA-amp-ZODIAC-WATCHES-WHAT-YOU-NEED-TO-KNOW_W0QQugidZ10000000004053633

And some interesting warning guides he has posted.

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/members/m1ghtyk0ng_W0QQuqtZg

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: INVICTA & ZODIAC WATCHES WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Postby Watch Noob » February 22nd 2010, 4:19pm

Interesting perspective. I don't believe I agree with it 100% though. There are plenty of Authorized Dealers on the Web that carry some of the brands listed that are legit if warranty work is required. The whole diamond thing is common sense. Pave means scrap in Italian. :albino:
Watch Noob
Founding Member - WIS

Postby foghorn » February 22nd 2010, 4:20pm

This guy isn't completely right about Zodiac.
Fossil "owns" Zodiac-they don't make them.

from EuropaStar:

House Brands
Recently, Fossil has gone out and acquired two new house brands: Zodiac and Michele Watches. Zodiac was a calculated acquisit-ion to have a Swiss presence and the recent high profile purchase of Michele Watches (for $50 million) brings Fossil into another realm of distribution.
"Michele Watches has a very clean and very high level of distribution and that will continue," Bock says. "Fossil has a great ability to provide the behind the scenes support systems that a group like Michele will benefit from. In terms of representation and distribution to retailers, that's all done by the Michele people.
Zodiac, meanwhile, is a completely in-house brand. "Zodiac is its own brand within Fossil," says Bock. "We think it's very exciting. The evolution of the brand is now taking place and it was available on a global basis in June of this year. The Zodiac factory is in Switzerland and owned by Fossil, while the management of the brand is in Dallas and in Bienne.
"The excitement that we as a company can bring to the brand is what will make this a success," Bock continues. "Zodiac stands on its own two feet. It is a brand unto itself as are all the other brands we represent. It's important that it has its own DNA, its own marketing approach, its own positioning. It's purely a Zodiac position, the thought process that best represents the brand. It was established in 1882 and the heritage is very important to the brand. We want to understand and use the heritage and move the brand forward."
Despite being such a large company, Fossil is really a collection of smaller companies working independently under the Fossil umbrella. "Each of our brands is encouraged to have the flavour of their parent company and have unique styling that is appropriate for that brand," Gundy says. "It's done with the design for each of those brands, taking their cues and making it a saleable product. Every brand has its own silo - a group of people who are the artists, the product development people, the brand managers and that group deals with the brand independently. They look, feel and breathe that brand."

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Datsun240Z71 » February 22nd 2010, 4:46pm

I love my Zodiacs, my Invictas, not so much.

And I truly believe my Zodiacs are Swiss made.

Also, there are online ADs that sell at internet prices and have full factory warranties on what they sell. My Accutron VX-200 came from GEMDAY, and Accutron repaired it under warranty with no hesitation for a defective screw-down crown issue. I saved over $500 by buying from GEMDAY (three years ago).
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Watch Noob » February 22nd 2010, 4:52pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:I love my Zodiacs, my Invictas, not so much.

And I truly believe my Zodiacs are Swiss made.

Also, there are online ADs that sell at internet prices and have full factory warranties on what they sell. My Accutron VX-200 came from GEMDAY, and Accutron repaired it under warranty with no hesitation for a defective screw-down crown issue. I saved over $500 by buying from GEMDAY (three years ago).

Exactly, thanks for sharing as I haven't had a warranty claim yet. There's plenty of reputable places on the Net to buy watches that are AD's and will the OEM's will honor any warranty issue. It almost sounds like the guy that write the Rant was an AD Owner trying to dissuade people from buying on the Net. When you can save 50% or more, why not?
Watch Noob
Founding Member - WIS

Postby foghorn » February 22nd 2010, 5:03pm

Mr. M1ghtyk0ng is a dope!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby Mark1 » February 22nd 2010, 5:09pm

I agree with a lot of what he says in principle. As noted there are some exceptions. He makes several bold statements that are not entirely true. Good or bad you can paint the entire industry or a segment of it with a broad brush-but very rarely is anything that black and white. Just my opinion.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1

Postby Aqua Homer » February 24th 2010, 5:45pm

Ridiculous assertion stated as fact regarding Zodiac. I'm actually surprised you posted this Alain.
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » February 24th 2010, 7:22pm

Aqua Homer wrote:Ridiculous assertion stated as fact regarding Zodiac. I'm actually surprised you posted this Alain.

Hmmmm from the first line of my post

"An interesting rant to say the least."

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Aqua Homer » February 25th 2010, 4:22am

Ooops. Sorry Koi, was looking for trouble last night. I thought it was a sticky giving the origins of Zodiac or something.
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Guest » March 7th 2010, 7:47am

I saw this nonsense about a year ago and it pissed me off because of this knucklehead presenting something like this as fact. There is a sliver of truth to what he says about the watch industry as a whole but not what he says about Zodiac.

Postby koimaster » March 7th 2010, 7:54am

Agent Orange wrote:I saw this nonsense about a year ago and it pissed me off because of this knucklehead presenting something like this as fact. There is a sliver of truth to what he says about the watch industry as a whole but not what he says about Zodiac.

I know and that is why I thought it would be interesting to read. Some people are just not all there. No research on their part I suspect. I think he just took rumors and put them together as fact.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby boscoe » June 1st 2010, 1:46pm

He learned everything he knows from Jaws.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby Ditchdoc » June 1st 2010, 5:13pm

Interesting read. I guess he could be right on some of what he claims. For some reason, Zodiac still has more credibility with me. I've only owned quartz zodiacs but never had a problem with them. Can't say the same for Invicta.
Ditchdoc

Postby eddiea » July 8th 2010, 6:47am

Ditchdoc wrote:Interesting read. I guess he could be right on some of what he claims. For some reason, Zodiac still has more credibility with me. I've only owned quartz zodiacs but never had a problem with them. Can't say the same for Invicta.

Indeed interesting...I think the main difference between the new Fossil/Zodiac and Invicta is probably the fact that Fossil don't make bombastics claims on TV or, in a web portal, like geeks.
I have only one Zodiac (a ZMX) whith a Ronda movement, it said Swiss Made on the dial and I have no reasons to dispute that but I will not be surprise(or disappointed) if is not, it is however the issue of the Claro movt. used in the Zodiac autos and the origins of the movement that it has been said, it have the soul of a Chinese Seagull.
Regarless, it is a huge difference between the pre-Fossil made Zodiac's and the new Fossil breed.
eddiea

Postby betterskills » July 8th 2010, 7:49am

I've contacted Mido for extra links for a classic Ocean Star Dat-o-date. What I got back was a request to send them the watch so they could verify that it was authentic - which I know it is based on my knowledge of the model and confirmation from a watchmaker who replaced the cannon pinion. They gave me the schpeal about how they don't support gray markets, sales by nonADs, blah, blah, blah. The truth is that their watches are priced differently depending on the market and they don't want you to pay less than full price. Might this be the Zodiac angle? I know i've seen Seiko and Citizen knockoffs on eBay along with the usual suspects.
betterskills
Senior Member & WIS

Postby boscoe » July 8th 2010, 8:43am

Fossil owns Invicta too!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » April 24th 2018, 8:54am

:D

1946-2006