Essential Gear for DiveMasters

Dedicated to Dive watches

Essential Gear for DiveMasters

Postby koimaster » September 5th 2018, 9:55am

For divers, there’s a certain method to curating dive gear for a highly-anticipated excursion. You want to find the perfect blend of practicality, performance, and style. From basics like your mask and snorkel to more high-tech accessories, this list includes all the scuba diving gear you need to strike the perfect balance between the smart and stylish.

Note that it is not necessary to buy the majority of your scuba gear since many places offer it for rent or as part of excursion packages. However, the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) recommends investing in your own scuba gear as a safety precaution, since it ensures that you’re extremely familiar with your gear and that you get the perfect fit.

http://www.thetimebum.com/2017/07/plumb ... -gear.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Essential Gear for DiveMasters

Postby conjurer » September 5th 2018, 10:03am

What, now he's the Dive Bum??
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 5th 2018, 9:33pm

WTF? The "Dive Bum" is all over the place.

Mask - I have never seen a mask with a 'purge valve' in my entire dive career.

Snorkel - Few experienced divers use snorkels and almost no technical divers do.

Fins - Dive fins are not 'more agile and comfortable' than swimming fins. The opposite, in fact. Dive fins are bigger to maximise the water volume they can push, so are less agile. Also, they tend to be negatively buoyant to compensate for the wetsuit on your legs (neoprene floats). Divers in drysuits use quite heavy fins to ensure their legs stay lower than their heads as its hard to get your legs back down if the air in your suit gets into the legs.

Wetsuit - 'Steamers' don't have waterproof seals. That would defeat their core function. They let some water in which gets warm against your body and the seals restrict water flow so that you stay warm.

Tanks - There are no options for 'compact' tanks. You take the tank size with the gas volume you need for the dive duration.

Buoyancy Control Device (BCD) — mostly ok

Regulator — fair comments

Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPD) — kinda

Safety Equipment — brief, but not wrong

Watch Band - the band pictured would be useless for diving as it doesn't adjust to the changing compression on a wetsuit at depth. The watch band needs to be able to be stretched or have a self-adjusting clasp. I prefer a rubber NATO in case a lug pin comes loose.
Last edited by bedlam on September 5th 2018, 10:52pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby conjurer » September 5th 2018, 10:04pm

bedlam wrote:WTF? The "Dive Bum" is all over the place.

Mask - I have never seen a mask with a 'purge valve' in my entire dive career.

Snorkel - Few experienced divers use snorkels and almost no technical divers do.

Fins - Dive fins are not 'more agile and comfortable' than swimming fins. The opposite, in fact. Dive fins are bigger to maximise the water volume they can push, so are less agile. Also, they tend to be negatively buoyant to compensate for the wetsuit on your legs (neoprene floats). Divers in drysuits use quite heavy fins to ensure their legs stay lower than their heads as its hard to get your legs back down if the air in your suit gets into the legs.

Wetsuit - 'Steamers' don't have waterproof seals. That would defeat their core function. They let some water in which gets warm against your body and the seals restrict water flow so that you stay warm.

Tanks - There are no options for 'compact' tanks. You take the tank size with the gas volume you need for the dive duration.

Buoyancy Control Device (BCD) — mostly ok

Regulator — fair comments

Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPD) — kinda

Safety Equipment — brief, but not wrong

See, I knew if Carl got his teeth into this one, it'd be like me lobbing a Lew & Huey slowball to Temerity over the plate!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 6th 2018, 6:37pm

conjurer wrote:See, I knew if Carl got his teeth into this one, it'd be like me lobbing a Lew & Huey slowball to Temerity over the plate!!

What is it about watch related publications getting so much wrong about diving??? The popularity of dive watches means the topic comes up a reasonable amount but its never covered well.

I've been scouring the 'Net and still can't find those masks with 'purge valves' or the suppposed 'compact' tanks . Its one thing to make errors in your assumptions about an activity if you don't do it yourself, but making things up completely is a little strange.

:chump:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Return to Dive Watches