Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver

Dedicated to Dive watches

Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver

Postby koimaster » May 26th 2018, 10:52am

For 52 straight days this winter, Shannon Hovey woke up in the company of five other men in a metal tube, 20 feet long and seven feet in diameter, tucked deep inside a ship in the Gulf of Mexico. He retrieved his breakfast from a hatch (usually eggs), read a briefing for the day, and listened for a disembodied voice to tell him when it was time to put on a rubber suit and get to work. Life in the tube was built around going through these same steps day after day after day … while trying not to think about the fact that any unintended breach in his temporary metal home would mean a fast, agonizing death.

Hovey works in one of the least known, most dangerous, and, frankly, most bizarre professions on Earth. He is a saturation diver—one of the men (just about all have been men*) who do construction and demolition work at depths up to 1,000 feet or more below the surface of the ocean.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/w ... tion-diver

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver

Postby conjurer » May 26th 2018, 11:05am

And I thought my job sucked.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 26th 2018, 5:59pm

I could've sworn I saw 'The Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver" on a 42nd Street flea pit marquee around 1977, on the bill with "Eager Beavers" and "Hawaii Sex-O."
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 26th 2018, 6:47pm

TemerityB wrote:I could've sworn I saw 'The Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver" on a 42nd Street flea pit marquee around 1977, on the bill with "Eager Beavers" and "Hawaii Sex-O."

Indeed, you might well have seen it. It was one of the first adult films by John and Gregory Dark (aka the Dark Bros, Purveyors of Fine Filth). Starring John Leslie, it's the moving tail tale of an Irish "mud hog," or a laborer who toiled underneath New York City, building sewers and subway tunnels. Leslie's character, Paddy O'Cock, dreams of becoming a world renowned endocrinologist, but is too poor to go to NYC for pre-med, let alone medical school. His former high school guidance counselor, Mary O'Vulva (sensitively played by Aunt Peg), tries to give O'Cock some, well, guidance. "You want to become an endocrinologist?" says O'Vulva, in a particularly moving scene, "Well, that means you have to make a hormone. You know how to make a hormone? Lemme show you!" In an interesting take on the whole "saturation" thing, whenever O'Cock was climaxing on screen, he'd get the bends, and finally dies from an arterial gas embolism after a lewd anal scene with Loni Sanders.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » May 26th 2018, 7:38pm

Mmmm...not my cup of tea :shock:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 26th 2018, 8:02pm

conjurer wrote:
TemerityB wrote:I could've sworn I saw 'The Isolated Life of the Saturation Diver" on a 42nd Street flea pit marquee around 1977, on the bill with "Eager Beavers" and "Hawaii Sex-O."

Indeed, you might well have seen it. It was one of the first adult films by John and Gregory Dark (aka the Dark Bros, Purveyors of Fine Filth). Starring John Leslie, it's the moving tail tale of an Irish "mud hog," or a laborer who toiled underneath New York City, building sewers and subway tunnels. Leslie's character, Paddy O'Cock, dreams of becoming a world renowned endocrinologist, but is too poor to go to NYC for pre-med, let alone medical school. His former high school guidance counselor, Mary O'Vulva (sensitively played by Aunt Peg), tries to give O'Cock some, well, guidance. "You want to become an endocrinologist?" says O'Vulva, in a particularly moving scene, "Well, that means you have to make a hormone. You know how to make a hormone? Lemme show you!" In an interesting take on the whole "saturation" thing, whenever O'Cock was climaxing on screen, he'd get the bends, and finally dies from an arterial gas embolism after a lewd anal scene with Loni Sanders.

My Reiner to his Brooks again, with a touch of Gerard Damiano for spice. :wink:
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 26th 2018, 8:45pm

Fascinating read.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Dive Watches