The fishy world of Jacques Cousteau

Dedicated to Dive watches

The fishy world of Jacques Cousteau

Postby koimaster » January 15th 2014, 12:26am

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 02346.html

Thanks to Gerdson for this link. Well worth reading. Another fictional legend bites the dust.

Worse, new evidence revealed this month by the newspaper France-Soir suggests that the "saintly brother" - at least at one stage in his life - shared some of the same racial opinions as the "frere maudit", the accursed brother. In a letter he wrote to his best friend in May 1941, Cousteau complained that he and his family could not find a decent apartment in Marseilles because of all the "ignobles youpins" (vile yids) pouring into the city.

The letter was written at a time when thousands of French Jews were fleeing to the south to escape persecution by the Nazi occupiers of northern France; it was written after the Vichy government had promulgated anti-Semitic laws which led, within months, to the rounding-up of tens of thousands of Jews and their deaths in concentration camps. Defenders of Cousteau have pointed out in recent days that his sentiments were widely shared in the France of that period: that the letter says more about France in 1941 than it says about Cousteau.

Maybe. It does, however, cast a powerful beam of light on one submerged wreck - Vichy France - that Cousteau preferred in later life to leave unexplored. The world's favourite Frenchman often claimed that he had served in the Resistance and that his Legion d'Honneur had been awarded for his wartime activities. It was, but for wartime activities on behalf of Vichy, spying on the Italians in 1941. The rest of the war Cousteau, although nominally still a naval officer, spent launching his own career, using his collaborationist brother's connections to acquire the materials he needed to perfect a revolutionary method of diving and to acquire raw film.

His first work - Par Dix-Huit Metres de Fond (Eighteen Metres Beneath the Waves) - was given its premiere in 1943 by a German association, Internationaler Kultur Film, before an audience of German officers and Vichy officials at the Theatre de Chaillot in Paris (contrary to his later reputation as a conservationist, the film was about underwater hunting and fishing, Cousteau's obsession at the time).

All of these facts, save the revelation of the anti-Semitic letter, were first revealed in 1993 in an excellent biography of Cousteau - by no means entirely negative - written by one of the best French investigative biographers, Bernard Violet. His book produced new evidence to back up earlier allegations that the Cousteau team had - under pressure from Hollywood to produce neat, anthropomorphic story lines - mistreated, and even accidentally killed, some of the sea creatures that his television series transformed into international celebrities.

It also explored some of Cousteau's less known activities, including his work for, and subsidies from, international companies which "le Commandant" simultaneously attacked as "the biggest polluters on the planet".

Now some of the myths about the man

The years of World War II were decisive for the history of diving. After the armistice of 1940, ( the surrender by traitor Petain and the Vichy Govt) the family of Simone and Jacques-Yves Cousteau took refuge in Megève, where he became a friend of the Ichac family who also lived there. Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Marcel Ichac shared the same desire to reveal to the general public unknown and inaccessible places — for Cousteau the underwater world and for Ichac the high mountains. The two neighbors took the first ex-aequo prize of the Congress of Documentary Film in 1943, for the first French underwater film: Par dix-huit mètres de fond (18 meters deep), made without breathing apparatus the previous year in the Embiez islands (Var) with Philippe Tailliez and Frédéric Dumas, using a depth-pressure-proof camera case developed by mechanical engineer Léon Vèche (engineer of Arts and Métiers and the Naval College). ( one has to note that the films were paid for by the Nazis, premiered in front of the Nazis and the awards presented by Nazis)

In 1943, they made the film Épaves (Shipwrecks), in which they used two of the very first Aqua-Lung prototypes. These prototypes were made in Boulogne-Billancourt by the Air Liquide company, following instructions from Cousteau and Émile Gagnan. When making Épaves, Cousteau could not find the necessary blank reels of movie film, but had to buy hundreds of small still camera film reels the same width, intended for a make of child's camera, and cemented them together to make long reels.

(Long before this Jacques Cousteau had returned to civilian life in German-occupied Paris. The French Navy had scuttled most of the fleet in Toulon in 1942. Some French sailors and ships had regrouped outside France to form the Free French Forces of the Exterior, but Jacques Cousteau never participated in the fight against the Nazis to free France.

Instead, living in Paris he had ample idle time to commute to the coast and perfect his free diving skills. He had married the daughter of the chairman of the board of Aire Liquide,a powerful French industrial company which, during the war, produced liquid gas for the Nazi forces.)

Having kept bonds with the English speakers (he spent part of his childhood in the United States and usually spoke English) and with French soldiers in North Africa (under Admiral Lemonnier), Jacques-Yves Cousteau (whose villa "Baobab" at Sanary (Var) was opposite Admiral Darlan's villa "Reine"), helped the French Navy to join again with the Allies; he assembled a commando operation against the Italian espionage services in France, and received several military decorations for his deeds. At that time, he kept his distance from his brother Pierre-Antoine Cousteau, a "pen anti-semite" who wrote the collaborationist newspaper Je suis partout (I am everywhere) and who received the death sentence in 1946. However, this was later commuted to a life sentence, and Pierre-Antoine was released in 1954.

An operation for the Vichy against the Italians, not for the allies or the Free French, his medals all given to him by the Vichy Govt.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The fishy world of Jacques Cousteau

Postby 3Flushes » January 15th 2014, 2:07am

Excellent read!

It is good to know that the rest of the world finally knows what the Jews and the French have known about those two pieces of shit since J first gained notoriety.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 15th 2014, 10:08am

Thanks for an excellent read. Things I was not aware of, for sure. Sharing.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby labman » January 15th 2014, 10:57am

Just goes to show that a person can have an appearance that is publicly percieved to be altruistc yet be a total scum bag, racist, egotictical asshole in reality.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » January 15th 2014, 1:07pm

Tale away the considerable bias and what this article shows more than anything else about Cousteau is that he was an individual focused almost entirely on his undersea research to the exclusion of almost anything else.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » January 15th 2014, 2:56pm

Falstaff wrote:Tale away the considerable bias and what this article shows more than anything else about Cousteau is that he was an individual focused almost entirely on his undersea research to the exclusion of almost anything else.

Felt the same way after reading it ...actually, is so biased (at times personal), that takes away from the narrative credibility....based on his rationale, I'm going to have to make a long list of people to hate from now on (not to mention, I'm probably would have to include most of my friends in it)
Last edited by eddiea on January 15th 2014, 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby catnap » January 15th 2014, 4:32pm

Gerdson, this is groundless piffle dreamt up and spread by Germany's own 'water man' Lutz Horn.

Lutz und familie in their TV show 'erfullen die Menschen wasser'.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » January 16th 2014, 2:35am

catnap wrote:Gerdson, this is groundless piffle dreamt up and spread by Germany's own 'water man' Lutz Horn.

Uh, what? :lol:
Unbeknownst to You, Cousteau is very popular in Germany (probably a subconscious thing, as we have now learned about his symphathies or collaboration with Nazi Germany), and while I did search in German media, the only substantial reference to his "evil past", I found in English language. French I can't read very well, so I don't know what they think about him.

There is a German counterpart to Cousteau - Hans Hass (actually he was Austrian, but at the start of his carreer it was all the same "Großdeutschland") . He was a pioneer in underwater photography.

I did by the way once live in a village called Lutzhorn. Funny...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby catnap » January 16th 2014, 3:41pm

gerdson wrote:
catnap wrote:Gerdson, this is groundless piffle dreamt up and spread by Germany's own 'water man' Lutz Horn.

Uh, what? :lol:
Unbeknownst to You, Cousteau is very popular in Germany (probably a subconscious thing, as we have now learned about his symphathies or collaboration with Nazi Germany), and while I did search in German media, the only substantial reference to his "evil past", I found in English language. French I can't read very well, so I don't know what they think about him.

There is a German counterpart to Cousteau - Hans Hass (actually he was Austrian, but at the start of his carreer it was all the same "Großdeutschland") . He was a pioneer in underwater photography.

I did by the way once live in a village called Lutzhorn. Funny...

Han Hass single handedly hunted Bonaire's local Atlantic Goliath Grouper population in to extinction. Always seeking a more effective means of killing, Hans perfected his fish slaughtering skills in the crystal clear waters of the Aegean sea in Greece. With the use of dynamite, Hans removed fish from the menu of every taverner in Crete for ever.
Pipe cleaners for legs, cock like a Bratwurst and full head of gold aryan locks, the fish hating Hans was everything the fish loving Jacques wished to be.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 16th 2014, 7:44pm

I simply cannot think of Jacques Cousteau without thinking of the Benny Hill sketch titled "The Underwater World of Jacques Custard," one of the funniest things he ever did.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus Fakeuus » January 21st 2014, 9:57pm

Good read, but like the Walt Disney piece, I don't want to believe it. It's amazing that his brother was spared and ultimately released; the French were not known for their post-war humanitarianism for Vichy collaborators...
Mortuus Fakeuus

Postby koimaster » March 18th 2015, 9:58am

The high-ranking freemason Jacques-Yves Cousteau said in an interview to The UNESCO Courier (November 1991, p. 13: "In order to stabilize world population, we must eliminate 350 000 people per day. It is a horrible thing to say, but it is just as bad not to say it."

In just one year it would amount to 128 million people. Cousteau meant that the world leaders had ten years to reduce the population, before it was time for drastic decisions.

One letter to Cousteau's best friend, Phillippe Tailliez, is dated May 1 1941. In it, the future captain of the Calypso complained bitterly of the problems he, his wife Simone and their two sons were having finding accommodation in Marseille, at that time a temporary haven for thousands of Jewish refugees trying to flee occupied France.

"We still have not found accommodation and are obliged to camp in the small pavilion of a family pension on the Corniche," he wrote. "It is not very much fun for Simone, but no suitable apartment will become available until we have booted out all the vile yids who are burdening us."

While Cousteau's brother, Pierre-Antoine, was a well-known Nazi sympathiser who edited the anti-semitic newspaper Je Suis Partout and had close relations with the wartime German ambassador to Paris, Otto Abetz, no evidence had previously come to light that Cousteau himself - who was honoured as a resistance hero - may have had Nazi sympathies.

After the war, Pierre-Antoine fled to Austria, living under a false name for several months before being arrested and sent back to France, where he was sentenced to death.

Cousteau, who later became so popular in France that he received 80,000 letters in 1981 asking him to run for president, gave evidence at the trial wearing his naval uniform and medals. He is said to have used his influence to get his brother's sentence commuted to life imprisonment.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/jun/18/jonhenley1

http://www.rense.com/general51/sdcu.htm

Since Captain Cousteau's death at 87, his reputation has suffered several blows, including the revelation that he held anti-semitic views and, during the 1939-45 war, enjoyed friendly relations, with the Germans and the Vichy regime. Two years ago, there were reports in the French press that the Cousteau Society and foundation might be forced to close, buffeted by financial problems and legal disputes within the Cousteau family over the rights to use the captain's name.

http://www.jta.org/1999/06/22/archive/c ... er-found-2

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Wasp » March 18th 2015, 1:06pm

Mother....... FUCKER. My red divers cap is now in the shitcan. I kid you not.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » March 2nd 2018, 10:31am

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Dive Watches