SEL Instruments dive watch

Dedicated to Dive watches

SEL Instruments dive watch

Postby koimaster » October 17th 2017, 11:05am

In 2013, we set out with a vision: deconstruct the traditional dive watch, challenge every traditional embodiment, build the toughest, most accurate, daily wearable instrument dive watch in the world. Our guiding doctrine was simple: function and performance would be the absolute impetus behind all design decisions. We would insist that tradition and convention are not absolute; we should challenge and defy both when necessary – nothing was sacred.

Decide for yourself...

Four years of R&D, guided by our function first doctrine, has yielded four patent’s pending, and our first watch offering: the MKI OmniDiver™. We designed our diver to function in the most extreme environments we know: from the edge of space to the depths of the Marianas Trench, and everywhere in-between. With our proprietary Titanium casework, bracelet, and clasp engineered to real-world size, we extend true extreme performance to daily wear. The MKI OmniDiver™ just might be the world’s toughest instrument dive watch. It’s up to you to decide for yourself.

http://selinstrument.com/

http://selinstrument.com/pricing/

Marathon JSAR - https://www.marathonwatch.com/product/s ... aglo-jsar/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: SEL Instruments dive watch

Postby conjurer » October 17th 2017, 11:22am

Or, you could buy an Orient OS300 for about a grand, or a Seiko Marinemaster for about two, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand. Or, for the same money, you could buy a Rolex Deepsea, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 17th 2017, 12:07pm

conjurer wrote:Or, you could buy an Orient OS300 for about a grand, or a Seiko Marinemaster for about two, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand. Or, for the same money, you could buy a Rolex Deepsea, and tell SEL Instruments to pound fucking sand.

Aye. Amen to that.

So, it's a big chunk of metal, with most of its "capabilities" being completely redundant - the deepest SCUBA dive ever was to the depth of slightly above 332 metres (1090 ft). 11 000m sounds like some product of Nazi megalomania - like the Schwerer Gustav railway gun, the ill-fated Maus super-heavy tank prototype... Yes, it's all fun to look at in some documentaries, but in reality these things are completely useless. And the part about it being perfect for everyday wear? It's like building a fucking battleship, and then saying that it's the perfect gondola for everyday use in Venice.

Not to mention the quartz movement. Intentionally chose not to use a COSC-certified automatic? For almost 11 grand? Damn good deal! Maybe I'll just start selling some frozen burgers at $30 each, and tell people that I could have made them fresh, with the best ingredients, but I have intentionally chosen not to. And then tell them that it's a good deal.

11 grand for a quartz piece of megalomania from a microbrand, fuck me... Maybe if they'd throw in a few bottles of some great single malt, one of champagne, a dozen cans of Russian caviar, a truly stunning hooker, and an espresso. Wait, no, that's still too pricey.

There's a lot of better alternatives to this joke of a watch - the Rolex Sea-Dweller (and the Deepsea Sea-Dweller), Tudor Pelagos, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega Seamaster Ploprof...

Fuck SEL.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 17th 2017, 12:29pm

Aside from the fact that there's too much shit on the dial,the hour hand is uglier than John Bobbitts dick, the crown is placed where it is certainly a pain in the ass to access,the stupid looking date, and the amount of unmitigated bullshit spewed forth in their descriptions (WTF is COSC feasible??), it looks like a fine watch.

Then there's the price

Dear SEL-a word to the wise

FTF'nW

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Rusty » October 17th 2017, 1:04pm

At that price, some sexual favors would have to be added to the price of the SEL. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 17th 2017, 1:30pm

Rusty wrote:At that price, some sexual favors would have to be added to the price of the SEL. :mrgreen:

They do.

Anyone who buys one is getting screwed.

foghorn

Postby AntFarm » October 17th 2017, 2:33pm

I love how they dance around the movement... Yet they have a partnership with ETA. I bet it's inhouse... :lol:
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 17th 2017, 7:34pm

I read the price, I read the specs, I absorbed the hype, I laughed out loud.

That's SeL (prounced "seal," how clever) is the butt-ugliest diver ever. I don't care that it's expensive - even Croton's faux divers are less comical than that fucking thing.

That's what a Hummer-driving dolt wears on a first date.

That watch is so fucking ugly that pacerguy would consider it.

If I saw that thing on someone's wrist next to a guy wearing, say, a Seiko Turtle, I would assume the Turtle was the more expensive of the two watches.

It is so unspeakably unrefined and over-the-top garish that Lady Gaga would consider it "loud."

Once again: Rich clueless fucks need watches too, apparently, and since this diver is the top o' the tippy tippy top, according to the hype sheet, I hope that whoever is dumb enough to buy one posts a keen unboxing video somewhere. Good times.

And is it just me or does that monstrosity state both "Swiss Made" and "U.S.A. Made" on the dial? That's gotta break every FH rule about seven times.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 17th 2017, 7:45pm

TemerityB wrote:That watch is so fucking ugly that pacerguy would consider it.

Dang. Fuck.

That pretty much says it all.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SēL Instrument » June 29th 2018, 2:40pm

Thought we would update this thread with a photo of the actual OmniDiver (that’s a prototype mock-up pictured above) so you guys can criticize the real thing! Also, here’s some info to correct some of the misinformation above:

Price: The OmniDiver is NOT $11,000. It starts at $4,100.

Depth Rating: Is 6,000m not 11,000m. Our MIL-DIVER is 11,000. We’ll be the first to admit no one needs either of those ratings for any practical purpose but no one really needs a 600hp sports car either.

Automatic movement: Yes. We do now offer the OmniDiver with a Swiss made automatic movement we just haven’t officially released this version/details yet because we’re still making parts. We plan to price it identically to the Precidrive quartz version.

COSC Feasible: This is the term used by ETA for movements that are guaranteed to meet or exceed chronometer standards but are not actually certified by COSC. Because we are non-Swiss company, and do our manufacturing and assembly in the US, we can only buy COSC feasible movements from ETA right now.

The “big chunk of metal” (i.e. the casework and bracelet): is actually 292 chunks of Titanium and weighs only 168 grams. The case is actually 2 cases comprised of a shock isolated inner case and the outer case. The inner case (patent pending) is dynamic to allow the case to be fluid filled (standard OmniDivers are not fluid filled but can be) while the outer case seals are all two-stage meaning they have separate low pressure and high pressure seals. The high-pressure seals (not o-rings) only engage when the dynamic case reacts to high pressures (higher than 1000psi).

The 6H crown position: Even when I was traveling constantly for work, I rarely had to set my watch more than a few times per month. But I was constantly annoyed with the 3h position crown digging into the back of my hand dozens of times per day especially when I had other stuff on the same arm like a Garmin foretrex that would force the watch down. Moving the crown to 6h position solved that problem AND protected it from impact. Not a brilliant innovation, just an obvious solution to a real problem I faced. Our ETA Precidrive’s timekeeping accuracy (+/- 10 sec/year according to ETA) means the only time you’ll need to change the time is DST or time zone changes so it’s really been no inconvenience at all.

“Too much shit on the dial”: Most of the markings o the dial and bezel chapter ring are MIL SPEC/ISO, the rest - illumination type, company logo, and American flag – just kinda made sense.

“Swiss Made USA Made”: No, the dial states very clearly “SWISS MVMT - USA MADE”

Our “ugly” hand set: follows ETA’s guidance for chronometer feasibility (mass, balance, and inertia optimized) and use vastly different geometries for faster acquisition in low vis. Other than that, beauty is subjective.

Fire away!

SēL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SēL Instrument
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » June 29th 2018, 3:27pm

What I said in my initial post times 100.

foghorn

Postby artman » June 29th 2018, 5:47pm

Dammit I saw TB's post and was about to welcome the old bastard back. Then I saw the date on his post. Dammit! And damn you SEL for getting my hopes up! I second the sand pounding. POUND EM HARD.
artman
Master of Time

Postby artman » June 29th 2018, 5:57pm

And fuck their ugly ass overpriced hunk o junk stoopit looking shit watch too.
artman
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 29th 2018, 11:07pm

SēL Instrument wrote:Thought we would update this thread with a photo of the actual OmniDiver (that’s a prototype mock-up pictured above) so you guys can criticize the real thing! Also, here’s some info to correct some of the misinformation above:

Price: The OmniDiver is NOT $11,000. It starts at $4,100.

Depth Rating: Is 6,000m not 11,000m. Our MIL-DIVER is 11,000. We’ll be the first to admit no one needs either of those ratings for any practical purpose but no one really needs a 600hp sports car either.

Automatic movement: Yes. We do now offer the OmniDiver with a Swiss made automatic movement we just haven’t officially released this version/details yet because we’re still making parts. We plan to price it identically to the Precidrive quartz version.

COSC Feasible: This is the term used by ETA for movements that are guaranteed to meet or exceed chronometer standards but are not actually certified by COSC. Because we are non-Swiss company, and do our manufacturing and assembly in the US, we can only buy COSC feasible movements from ETA right now.

The “big chunk of metal” (i.e. the casework and bracelet): is actually 292 chunks of Titanium and weighs only 168 grams. The case is actually 2 cases comprised of a shock isolated inner case and the outer case. The inner case (patent pending) is dynamic to allow the case to be fluid filled (standard OmniDivers are not fluid filled but can be) while the outer case seals are all two-stage meaning they have separate low pressure and high pressure seals. The high-pressure seals (not o-rings) only engage when the dynamic case reacts to high pressures (higher than 1000psi).

The 6H crown position: Even when I was traveling constantly for work, I rarely had to set my watch more than a few times per month. But I was constantly annoyed with the 3h position crown digging into the back of my hand dozens of times per day especially when I had other stuff on the same arm like a Garmin foretrex that would force the watch down. Moving the crown to 6h position solved that problem AND protected it from impact. Not a brilliant innovation, just an obvious solution to a real problem I faced. Our ETA Precidrive’s timekeeping accuracy (+/- 10 sec/year according to ETA) means the only time you’ll need to change the time is DST or time zone changes so it’s really been no inconvenience at all.

“Too much shit on the dial”: Most of the markings o the dial and bezel chapter ring are MIL SPEC/ISO, the rest - illumination type, company logo, and American flag – just kinda made sense.

“Swiss Made USA Made”: No, the dial states very clearly “SWISS MVMT - USA MADE”

Our “ugly” hand set: follows ETA’s guidance for chronometer feasibility (mass, balance, and inertia optimized) and use vastly different geometries for faster acquisition in low vis. Other than that, beauty is subjective.

Fire away!

SēL

OK, here goes. I can walk into a jewelers, with six grand in cash (a little more than you're asking), and ask for a prime example of a Rolex Submariner, slightly used, and they'd fall all over themselves to source me one and sell it to me. They'd size it for me, and give me a latte as I waited, and then I'd walk out wearing it. I could go into a nice bar, flash it around, and possibly get a nice looking cocktail waitress to give me a blowjob out back. Why? Because I'm wearing a fucking Rolex Submariner.

Or, I could spend a little less on an SeL Omnidiver La-La, and I'd look like a fucking clown wearing it, and wouldn't get a blowjob from a nice looking cocktail waitress.

Conjurer rests his case.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » June 30th 2018, 12:50am

Just to say, thanks for your update and mucho huevos coming here to defend your ouvré.
How does one operate the crown on that watch? It looks to be inaccessible without a case knife.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » June 30th 2018, 2:02am

SēL Instrument wrote:The 6H crown position: Even when I was traveling constantly for work, I rarely had to set my watch more than a few times per month. But I was constantly annoyed with the 3h position crown digging into the back of my hand dozens of times per day especially when I had other stuff on the same arm like a Garmin foretrex that would force the watch down. Moving the crown to 6h position solved that problem AND protected it from impact. Not a brilliant innovation, just an obvious solution to a real problem I faced.

Fire away!

SēL

How do I use a rubber NATO on this watch?

You called it a dive watch, but unless you have a way to put a dive strap on it your 'solution' looks like a fail.

Seiko solved the oversized crown problem long ago.

I get you are trying to push boundaries, but you can't push them successfully if you don't have a deep understanding of why they were there in the first place.
Last edited by bedlam on June 30th 2018, 2:15am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » June 30th 2018, 2:12am

Or at 9 o'clock would be out of the way too.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 30th 2018, 4:05am

bobbee wrote:Or at 9 o'clock would be out of the way too.

The following is the incredibly idiotic reasoning for making the crown a royal PITA to access and use.

"The 6H crown position: Even when I was traveling constantly for work, I rarely had to set my watch more than a few times per month. But I was constantly annoyed with the 3h position crown digging into the back of my hand dozens of times per day especially when I had other stuff on the same arm like a Garmin foretrex that would force the watch down. Moving the crown to 6h position solved that problem AND protected it from impact. Not a brilliant innovation, just an obvious solution to a real problem I faced. Our ETA Precidrive’s timekeeping accuracy (+/- 10 sec/year according to ETA) means the only time you’ll need to change the time is DST or time zone changes so it’s really been no inconvenience at all."

foghorn

Postby bobbee » June 30th 2018, 6:54am

Maybe he can use the tip of his diver's knife to tease out the crown?
Carl's excellent point means this watch has a virtual integral bracelet, a no-no for most people.
The dial "kinda made sense"? In which universe is such a busy dial any use in either a military or diving scenario?

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » June 30th 2018, 9:22am

I don't even know where to begin....a mishmash of some many different models.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 30th 2018, 10:16am

SēL Instrument wrote:Fire away!

I'm not quite sure if you're fully aware what does this mean here. Some people piss against the wind, but this is pissing against a hurricane. Nevertheless, I'm always delighted to deliver a barrage.

SēL Instrument wrote:Thought we would update this thread with a photo of the actual OmniDiver (that’s a prototype mock-up pictured above) so you guys can criticize the real thing!

Yes, well, it still looks like shit, so what's the difference?

SēL Instrument wrote:Price: The OmniDiver is NOT $11,000. It starts at $4,100.

This still blows. There's a lot of tool watches in this price range, which look better, are more practical, are made by established manufacturers, and don't look like a steaming pile of mierda. So, here's the good question: why would I spend the sort of money that buys a really nice Omega or Tudor (and if I'd go for Seiko, I'd still have lots left for good Scotch and purdy lasses) on a watch that does look like mierda, is even less practical than a Black Bay or a Pelagos, and is made by a microbrand?

SēL Instrument wrote:Depth Rating: Is 6,000m not 11,000m. Our MIL-DIVER is 11,000. We’ll be the first to admit no one needs either of those ratings for any practical purpose but no one really needs a 600hp sports car either.

Why, I'd make epic fucking doughnuts in a 600hp car at a shopping centre parking lot, can't see how this chunk of shite is gonna do the same thing. There's megalomania that's of any use, and there's useless megalomania, and it doesn't take Einstein to figure out just which of the two this watch is. No less, thank you for admitting that all these thousands of metres of water resistance are fuck-useless.

SēL Instrument wrote:Automatic movement: Yes. We do now offer the OmniDiver with a Swiss made automatic movement we just haven’t officially released this version/details yet because we’re still making parts. We plan to price it identically to the Precidrive quartz version.

And whatever option one goes for, it's still heavy, useless shit with fuck-useless lugs and an illegible dial. It's like a Greek tragedy - none of the choices is a good one.

SēL Instrument wrote:The “big chunk of metal” (i.e. the casework and bracelet): is actually 292 chunks of Titanium and weighs only 168 grams. The case is actually 2 cases comprised of a shock isolated inner case and the outer case. The inner case (patent pending) is dynamic to allow the case to be fluid filled (standard OmniDivers are not fluid filled but can be) while the outer case seals are all two-stage meaning they have separate low pressure and high pressure seals. The high-pressure seals (not o-rings) only engage when the dynamic case reacts to high pressures (higher than 1000psi).

The inner/outer case thing has been done ages ago, starting with the World War I era, by multiple brands. Nothing new.

SēL Instrument wrote:The 6H crown position: Even when I was traveling constantly for work, I rarely had to set my watch more than a few times per month. But I was constantly annoyed with the 3h position crown digging into the back of my hand dozens of times per day especially when I had other stuff on the same arm like a Garmin foretrex that would force the watch down. Moving the crown to 6h position solved that problem AND protected it from impact. Not a brilliant innovation, just an obvious solution to a real problem I faced. Our ETA Precidrive’s timekeeping accuracy (+/- 10 sec/year according to ETA) means the only time you’ll need to change the time is DST or time zone changes so it’s really been no inconvenience at all.

It's not a problem that a less idiotic relocation of the crown - or better, coming up with a decent design for the crown guards - wouldn't solve.

SēL Instrument wrote:“Too much shit on the dial”: Most of the markings o the dial and bezel chapter ring are MIL SPEC/ISO, the rest - illumination type, company logo, and American flag – just kinda made sense.

Wasn't there anything else that you could throw in to impair the legibility even further?

SēL Instrument wrote:Our “ugly” hand set: follows ETA’s guidance for chronometer feasibility (mass, balance, and inertia optimized) and use vastly different geometries for faster acquisition in low vis. Other than that, beauty is subjective.

Other than that, it's still ghastly. It doesn't have to be ghastly in order to be legible.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2018, 12:02pm

I guess he chose not to reply to some of our comments. :scratch:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby bedlam » July 11th 2018, 5:14pm

koimaster wrote:I guess he chose not to reply to some of our comments. :scratch:

Probably wise. It was unlikely to end well ;)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Return to Dive Watches