The beautiful dive watch: Armand Nicolet JS9

Armand Nicolet & SWI

The beautiful dive watch: Armand Nicolet JS9

Postby Racer-X » September 23rd 2018, 8:49pm

"Armand Nicolet is a Swiss company you might not have heard about, but one you should know. They do things a bit differently in Tramelan. It’s time to answer the question, what do you get with a large thin dive watch that has more in common with a Royal Oak than a Submariner? This is the JS9, powered by the Calibre AN2846-9. Its a beautiful blue dial wrapped in 316L stainless steel capped with the blue ceramic turning bezel.

Let’s get this part out of the way. Why would I compare Armand Nicolet’s JS9 with a Royal Oak or Patek? It comes down to the mid-case shape and lugs. The side profile of the case and lugs are completely flat under the bezel, with sharp edge lugs that angle down to the bracelet."

https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/09/23/the-beautiful-dive-watch-armand-nicolet-js9/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The beautiful dive watch: Armand Nicolet JS9

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 23rd 2018, 9:05pm

Not bad, but way too big.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 24th 2018, 3:08am

44m is a good case size, but the lugs are too long. That bezel might be interesting to try and turn with gloves on.

Yet another diver with micro-watch bezel disease.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby foghorn » September 24th 2018, 5:25am

Great size for 'neath the waves but for the solid grounders it's tantamount to wearing flippers in lieu of shoes.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2018, 8:51am

bedlam wrote:44m is a good case size, but the lugs are too long. That bezel might be interesting to try and turn with gloves on.

Yet another diver with micro-watch bezel disease.

If worn over a dive suit, presumably it's not really obtrusive. In lugless designs or with very short lugs, probably the same rules apply. As for the bezel... If it's not really marketed as ISO-compliant pro equipment, guess you can assume that the manufacturer knows full well that the watch will be only exposed to water, when the wearer will be doing the dishes or swimming. Besides, most owners of these things will likely never use the bezel in any way, save perhaps turning it just for fun. In all likelihood, they won't even use it as an egg timer.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » September 24th 2018, 9:16am

Feh
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 24th 2018, 3:46pm

I'm an AN fan, but that watch just looks uncomfortable, and the blue is garish. It just doesn't work, tho I'm sure the quality is there.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » September 24th 2018, 4:07pm

TemerityB wrote:I'm an AN fan, but that watch just looks uncomfortable, and the blue is garish. It just doesn't work, tho I'm sure the quality is there.

My "feh" rating was strictly design speakin'. Looks uncomfortable and is kind'a uncomfortable to look at. Like you I like Armie, but this one's not their best work.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Armand Nicolet