Yema Watches

Watches from Other EU countries

Re: Yema Watches

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 4th 2019, 5:48am

Vintage Yemas are nice. Still, if you'd look at the movements, you'd be disappointed no less than with the shoddy perlage on this one. Movements by French ebaucheries like Cupillard, Jeambrun, Hippolyte Parrenin, Lorsa and others were technically good, and often they can still be fine-tuned to run within 0 to +10 spd. However, the finishing was...well, rather industrial, and that's putting it mildly.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on February 4th 2019, 10:16am, edited 1 time in total.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » February 4th 2019, 8:40am

Here is my Yema. This was when Seiko owned them and this has the 4s15 movement.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby kevco » February 4th 2019, 12:24pm

s-l1600.jpg

Nothin' fancy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » February 4th 2019, 1:03pm

conjurer wrote:Interestingly, the perlage on the Yema movement reminded me of seeing, some years back, Eyal of Invicter boosting of a buttload of 7750's he scored from ETA--presumably at night, when the back door of the factory was left open. Anyway, he actually produced a bill of lading from ETA to some convenience address in--where else?--Florida. He then showed some appalling Subaqua Homer that was using the 7750, and through the display back showed very similar perlage that might have been applied by Chris Burke after a couple of six-packs. I've owned a couple of watches with ETA applied perlage, and it was extremely well done, obviously by a master. After this, I figured that Eyal actually wrote a big-ass check to ETA (that didn't bounce), and sent the movements to Hong Kong, for some drone to apply the decoration. Naturally, I have no evidence of this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Given what's been exposed over the last several years we've got speculation bordering on plausible probabiity: Eyal, being the lazy fuck that he is, simply wrote a big ass check to Heromex and let them buy the 7750s and most likely DD modules as well. Heromex or similar would, in my estimation, cheerfully purchase DD chrono modules and attempt to hammer them into a case without the required offset between pushers and crown giving us … the infamous DD Speedway, subsequent claims of loud conversations, the domestic DD rep wearing a look of puzzled exasperation and the whole thing.

Sometimes things just fit together too well.

Millionsmart had a page showing that around 15% of thier movements were purchased from Switzerland. Seems reasonable they (and whatever name Heromex is operating under, etc.) simply combine Eyal with a couple dozen basement-dwelling mushroom brands and buy the stuff on behalf of their clients - and cheerfully mark "Swiss Made" on the dial if so directed.

I don't like relying on my memory but millionsmart's website isn't loading right this minute - but 15% should be close enough for the girls we go with.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby robatsu » February 4th 2019, 2:05pm

svaglic wrote:Here is my Yema. This was when Seiko owned them and this has the 4s15 movement.

Interesting, reminds me of blue Orient Beast. I had one of these, really interesting:

robatsu
Master of Time

Postby robatsu » February 4th 2019, 2:53pm

And reminiscent of the coolio Alba auto divers:

robatsu
Master of Time

Previous

Return to European Watch Making