Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Watches from Other EU countries

Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby koimaster » May 7th 2018, 4:54pm

A little over six months into his role as CEO of Rotary Watches Ltd, Peter McKenna speaks exclusively to WatchPro about the direction he’s taking his brands, why the juice of Baselworld isn’t worth the squeeze anymore, and his emphasis on after sales service.



WatchPro: How have you found the first few months of your new role?

Peter McKenna: Exciting and interesting to say the least. My first task was to get out and listen to our customers, from the largest multiple to the one-store independent. The extraordinary thing was that they were all telling me the same things about Rotary, expressing some frustrations but most of all demonstrating the affection the trade and the public has for the brand.


http://www.watchpro.com/exclusive-rotar ... up-brands/
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 34914
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby conjurer » May 7th 2018, 6:57pm

They used to sell that shit on Urine.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26978
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2018, 9:53pm

conjurer wrote:They used to sell that shit on Urine.


Yep. S. Fingers used to bring on that Dreyfuss guy and introduce him like he was Nicolas Hayek. You'd almost expect to see his bobbing head under the desk, it was so over the top. Then, they'd hawk an 89 dollar Chinese auto.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 14254
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby conjurer » May 7th 2018, 10:17pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:They used to sell that shit on Urine.


Yep. S. Fingers used to bring on that Dreyfuss guy and introduce him like he was Nicolas Hayek. You'd almost expect to see his bobbing head under the desk, it was so over the top. Then, they'd hawk an 89 dollar Chinese auto.


Indeed. They used to have some stroke named something Lala Dreyfus, who was unendurably Eurotrash, on the "network." I think he might have been a butt-boi of Dim Demple. Interestingly, some of the wartchs weren't totally fucking awful.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26978
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby Pubbie » May 8th 2018, 12:27am

conjurer wrote:They used to sell that shit on Urine.

Shit, urine? What is this?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 396
Joined: September 18th 2017, 5:35am

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby codguy » May 8th 2018, 6:31am

I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

here be one (terrible pic that doesn't show the nicely blued hands)

Image
.
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 5573
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby Falstaff » May 8th 2018, 6:40am

codguy wrote:I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

here be one (terrible pic that doesn't show the nicely blued hands)

Image



Got the gold version myself - ETA/Peseux 7001 hand wind, 2 straps and as Cod said, killer blued hand set. Rotary can make a nice watch when they want to.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6873
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby TemerityB » May 8th 2018, 6:56am

Falstaff wrote:Rotary can make a nice watch when they want to.


That is absolutely true - except, after a couple of years, they seemed to stop wanting to, at least based on the stuff they were pitching on the TeeVee. Most of those decent autos like the ones shown here went away, replaced by, well, a lot of Swiss Legend-style sleight of hand. Now, granted, I'm speaking of the stuff that was offered on late period WOW and Blovine - I know Rotary has made some pretty good watches over the years. And based on the comments on that article, I don't know what to think of them. Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

As you can see, they're all over the map.

https://secure.rotarywatches.com/en/the ... ll-watches
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 14254
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 8th 2018, 8:18am

Pubbie wrote:
conjurer wrote:They used to sell that shit on Urine.

Shit, urine? What is this?

I believe ”shit” refers to a lot of contemporary Rotary models, and ”Urine” is Evine, a TV shopping channel selling Invictas and all the other rubbish that you wouldn’t want to spend your hard-earned money on.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 8th 2018, 8:24am

TemerityB wrote: Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

Traditionally, i.e. back in the day, they had everything from 7-jewel wonders in plated cases to Aquaplunge divers and solid gold pieces with beyond decent movements. That said, while their contemporary offer is all over the place, it’s mostly boring, or even rubbish in some cases, and generally doesn’t even come close to what Rotary used to be.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby koimaster » May 8th 2018, 8:57am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
TemerityB wrote: Granted, Rotary's footprint is in the UK, where they traditionally have sold watches at virtually every price point, from quartz beaters to ETA auto-packed dress watches.

Traditionally, i.e. back in the day, they had everything from 7-jewel wonders in plated cases to Aquaplunge divers and solid gold pieces with beyond decent movements. That said, while their contemporary offer is all over the place, it’s mostly boring, or even rubbish in some cases, and generally doesn’t even come close to what Rotary used to be.


s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 34914
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby foghorn » May 8th 2018, 9:01am

Are they branded "Roundabout" in the US??
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 17143
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby Mark1 » May 8th 2018, 3:32pm

I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 7648
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby koimaster » May 8th 2018, 3:40pm

Mark1 wrote:I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.


They were sold via that route Mark. They also sold some decent watches for the price point which was fair compared to the BS spouted by other brands sold on that site.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 34914
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby conjurer » May 8th 2018, 4:10pm

koimaster wrote:
Mark1 wrote:I could be wrong but I always thought that the Rotary watches on ShopNBC were sold through SWI. Under the assumption that they weren't selling their watches themselves on Shop I viewed them in a little higher regard. Some of their watches are okay.


They were sold via that route Mark. They also sold some decent watches for the price point which was fair compared to the BS spouted by other brands sold on that site.


Yup, I stand corrected. Here's a thread from BDWF (now with a new url address!) from 2009 (!):

http://thewatchforum.net/forum/showthre ... ght=rotary

Where I wrote:

I liked the look of the Rotary, and could appreciate the work that went into it--but like the rest of you guys, I didn't like it $500-much.

And I have to agree with CoachH... A big push trying to move what they had... The continued, extended segments with Lior and this fellow Dreyfuss. Although the segment hosted by Charla Rines yesterday morning almost made up for it; between the dapper but unflappable Mr. Dreyfuss, the nearly-squirming Lior, and the screaming, horologically-unfluent Ms. Rines, all added up to one of the most uncomfortable presentations I've yet seen on Shop. Mrs. Conjurer was wincing with pain at the interaction between the abrasive Ms. Rines and the hapless Mr. Dreyfuss, whose body language could have been shouted through a bullhorn; I, being the jerk that I am, merely laughed. It was like watching an extended scene between Mr. Driesdale and Grannie from The Beverly Hillbillies.

I didn't buy the OTV, either. But I enjoyed the comic interlude.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.


Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 26978
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Rotary Watches CEO reveals his vision

Postby OTMF » May 8th 2018, 5:03pm

codguy wrote:I own two Rotary's, both with mechanical ETA movements.........

here be one (terrible pic that doesn't show the nicely blued hands)

Image

I also had that one, I think it was 38mm but played big on my girlish wrist.
User avatar
OTMF
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: October 21st 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Kansas City


Return to European Watch Making

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron