Basel2016: Bulova Curv

Basel2016: Bulova Curv

Postby jaw » March 18th 2016, 9:10am

Another hot Bulova? Really?!

Introducing The Bulova CURV Chronographs, With High Frequency Shaped Quartz Movements

Since 2007, Bulova has been owned by the Citizen Watch Co. of Japan, but it was for many decades before that an upstanding member of the American horological community, with many innovations to its credit – including, of course, the Accutron. The tuning-fork-based Accutron is largely a thing of the past, but Bulova still innovates in timekeeping technology, with its high-frequency, high-accuracy quartz calibers – and now, with its CURV family of chronographs, it presents the first curved-movement quartz chronographs ever made.

Last edited by jaw on March 18th 2016, 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Re: Bazel2016: Bulova Curv

Postby Darksider » March 18th 2016, 9:12am

I like that watch a lot. Great look.
Darksider
Founder

Re: Basel2016: Bulova Curv

Postby Rusty » March 18th 2016, 10:17am

Despite the fact that they fired their American CEO at the beginning of the year, I like the direction of the Bulova Company.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » March 18th 2016, 10:24am

I like the direction. It would be interesting to see that basic curved look and quartz open back evolve. Iterations with decorated back plates, simple three handers and leather straps just might have appeal.

Cheers
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 18th 2016, 10:25am

And despite the fact that they moved their HQ out of Queens, turned Bulova Accutron into Stuhrling Original, turned Caravelle into a brand that makes MIchael Kors look like Zenith, and turned Wittnauer into an unspeakable fashion atrocity? This new watch is, at the very least, interesting. At least Bulova is trying new things from the Precisionist launch to now.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » March 18th 2016, 11:09am

I like it we've seen curve cases and crystals why not movements.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby Darksider » March 18th 2016, 11:38am

TemerityB wrote:And despite the fact that they moved their HQ out of Queens, turned Bulova Accutron into Stuhrling Original, turned Caravelle into a brand that makes MIchael Kors look like Zenith, and turned Wittnauer into an unspeakable fashion atrocity? This new watch is, at the very least, interesting. At least Bulova is trying new things from the Precisionist launch to now.

Weren't they right off of the Triborough Bridge route near Ditmars Blvd and Grand or something? I was try remember if that was the Major Deegan or not. Too long ago for me to remember correctly except that I used to see it often. I also remember the damn Triborough Bridge after climbing the base and up inside the towers (they seldom locked them back then) to the top. I had more fun climbing the Hellgate though. My favorite bridge back then.
Darksider
Founder

Postby foghorn » March 18th 2016, 11:39am

Interesting.
One caveat though. If you want the full effect of the silky smooth seconds hand don't get a chrono-stick with a 3 hander.
The sub-seconds hand on the chronos is a regular tick per second movement. The only time you see the "smooth sweep" is when the chrono is running.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » March 18th 2016, 2:44pm

Want it in a three hander with a bracelet!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » March 18th 2016, 4:15pm

This is certainly the first time I've ever seen an exhibition case back on a quartz watch that actually has a good reason for being there. I like it. 8-)
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech is cantankerous" - Zhuangzi
Mortuus

Postby bedlam » March 18th 2016, 4:19pm

They do look cool
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 18th 2016, 4:31pm

Just looks a bit too fashiony to me the more I look at it.
Also I hate the integrated strap. Hopefully it's not 45-50mm which-to me- would ruin this look completely.
Last edited by foghorn on March 18th 2016, 5:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 18th 2016, 5:36pm

Darksider wrote:
TemerityB wrote:And despite the fact that they moved their HQ out of Queens, turned Bulova Accutron into Stuhrling Original, turned Caravelle into a brand that makes MIchael Kors look like Zenith, and turned Wittnauer into an unspeakable fashion atrocity? This new watch is, at the very least, interesting. At least Bulova is trying new things from the Precisionist launch to now.

Weren't they right off of the Triborough Bridge route near Ditmars Blvd and Grand or something? I was try remember if that was the Major Deegan or not. Too long ago for me to remember correctly except that I used to see it often. I also remember the damn Triborough Bridge after climbing the base and up inside the towers (they seldom locked them back en) to the top. I had more fun climbing the Hellgate though. My favorite bridge back then.

Yeah, that's pretty much the area. The service center was located in the same building. Actually, the HQ was near the service road for the Grand Central Parkway (sort of the intersection between the Grand Central and BQE) - but that's really accessible from the Deegan, so your memory isn't all that foggy. You climbed the bridges in these parts?! Wow ... a far better man that I. Wow.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » March 18th 2016, 7:16pm

The NYC Corrections Headquarters are located here.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » March 20th 2016, 7:39am

I do like quartz. My bar is set by this older Breitling. Although, big bucks for a high end quartz does not resonate with the logic compartment. A lower, if I may, higher end quartz with an exhibition back and non cheesy decoration by say Presage? That's a base hit if not better. Better quartz movements are not prohibitively expensive by any means.

I need to look at these every now and again and sigh.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » March 20th 2016, 8:03pm

Wasp wrote:I do like quartz. My bar is set by this older Breitling. Although, big bucks for a high end quartz does not resonate with the logic compartment. A lower, if I may, higher end quartz with an exhibition back and non cheesy decoration by say Presage? That's a base hit if not better. Better quartz movements are not prohibitively expensive by any means.

I need to look at these every now and again and sigh.

Those is very nice, Waspy... 8-)
Mortuus

Postby Nuvolari » March 20th 2016, 8:31pm

Curvex humps a Royal Oak - and conscientious Bulova has embraced the friendly bastard as family.

And that's cool with me... I don't look like anyone in my family either. :P
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » March 20th 2016, 9:43pm

foghorn wrote:Just looks a bit too fashiony to me the more I look at it.
Also I hate the integrated strap. Hopefully it's not 45-50mm which-to me- would ruin this look completely.

Yup. I think foggy's nailed it: the integrated strap ain't a good idea, as, sooner or later, the strap will need to be replaced. The dial doesn't do much for me, either. An interesting concept that kinda misses.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » March 21st 2016, 7:54am

Nuvolari wrote:Curvex humps a Royal Oak - and conscientious Bulova has embraced the friendly bastard as family.

And that's cool with me... I don't look like anyone in my family either. :P

Indeed, the bar sinister has never been a barrier to advancement, though it has seldom been viewed as a positive attribute. As to the curved movement, don't see the big deal - so the gear teeth engage at an angle - a minor technological gimmick.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Return to Bulova & Accutron