2014 Bulova: All Over The Map

2014 Bulova: All Over The Map

Postby TemerityB » June 2nd 2014, 11:01pm

Someone I know told me they were in a midtown NYC watch store the other day and that serious change was happening with the Bulova brand. A lot of the Accutron models that many know - Gemini, Kirkwood, etc. - are now being branded as Bulova Accu-Swiss. So I looked at their website and it seems to be the case:

http://www.bulova-accutron.com/en_us/wa ... ion_id=839

So what happens to the Accutron designation? Apparently, it's been phased into something called Accutron II, with a return to some vintage looks and styles, under the province of the Bulova brand and not what used to be the separate Accutron designation:

http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/bulov ... on_id=1122

Now, some of the Accutron II models have Precisionist movements inside without being marked as such.

So, to encapsulate, it appears that any Swiss-made Bulova watches are now to be known as Bulova Accu-Swiss. I'm assuming there's nothing new about the movements inside, utilizing ETA autos and quartz, but their own website has such sketchy info that I'm scratching my head over all these concepts. If all this is old news, forgive me. I'm finding this re-branding to be pretty strange, particularly after Bulova seemed to be on the upswing in recent years with its Precisionist line. I take kind of an odd interest in Bulova since their service center is located here in Queens. I can also assume it's the end of an era as far as Accutron goes, as Bulova's Basel hype sheet failed to mention the word "Accutron" in any way, only listing Bulova, Bulova Accu-Swiss, Caravelle New York, licensed Harley-Davidson Timepieces by Bulova watches, and Frank Lloyd Wright Collection watches and clocks.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: 2014 Bulova: All Over The Map

Postby conjurer » June 2nd 2014, 11:21pm

I like Bullies. Bullies give me a boner. I do wish the Precisionist lines were a little smaller--the new chronograph movement gives me quite the chubby indeed.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » June 2nd 2014, 11:36pm

conjurer wrote:I like Bullies. Bullies give me a boner. I do wish the Precisionist lines were a little smaller--the new chronograph movement gives me quite the chubby indeed.

I miss Accutron. Sigh.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby ChronoMATT » June 3rd 2014, 3:59am

Good post, Temerity. Looks like Bulova is taking Hamilton's "American Heritage Series" lead by releasing updated versions of vintage models, in this case, their original 1960s Accutrons. I guess it makes sense to call the line "Accutron II" and rebrand the current Swiss Made Accutrons many know and love to something new like "Bulova Accu-Swiss". Too bad Bulova didn't brand Accutron IIs as a premium Swiss Made offering.

Below are some old vs new photos of what they are releasing.

Alpha Spaceview

Astronaut (Why doesn't the new version have a GMT movement like the original?)

Standard 214 Round Style

Deep Sea 666

Standard 218 Cushion Case Style

Last edited by ChronoMATT on June 3rd 2014, 10:52am, edited 3 times in total.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Postby codguy » June 3rd 2014, 4:11am

To me the names Accutron II sounds cheap and Bulova Accu-Swiss simply ghey.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » June 3rd 2014, 11:37am

matt, you bettered my post with your photos and info. Great job.

While I kind of like the new Astronaut, I'm not crazy about the name change, or the sidewalk cup-and-ball game they're doing with the various models. Getting movement info out of Bulova has always been hard, but now it seems like the brand is putting fashion before substance, as so many other brands do.

There's always a few suit to louse things up (Ampex professional recording tape became Quantegy; Nestle's Quik became NesQuik; Datsun became Nisson and then became Datsun again; overstock.com tried to become o.co). Frankly, I think the Accutron brand is too valuable to be tossed aside like yesterday's newspaper, but then again, the watches haven't been what they used to be for almost a decade now. And cod, I have to agree; even the wording on the new logo is so lame.

Looking on the bright side, I'd have to reckon there's going to be some killer gray deals for older-branded Bulova Accutron product virtually any second now.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby ChronoMATT » June 3rd 2014, 1:25pm

My naming comments were coming from a branding point-of-view which from a corporate angle makes sense. Personally, Accu-Swiss sounds kinda cheap and adding a "II" to anything gives appearances of a sequel and we all know how good most sequels are. I truly wish Bulova had made the vintage Accutron re-releases a premium, all Swiss Made offering. As of now, you nailed it. They are Chinese made, Japanese movement fashion watches.

TemerityB wrote:matt, you bettered my post with your photos and info. Great job.

While I kind of like the new Astronaut, I'm not crazy about the name change, or the sidewalk cup-and-ball game they're doing with the various models. Getting movement info out of Bulova has always been hard, but now it seems like the brand is putting fashion before substance, as so many other brands do.

There's always a few suit to louse things up (Ampex professional recording tape became Quantegy; Nestle's Quik became NesQuik; Datsun became Nisson and then became Datsun again; overstock.com tried to become o.co). Frankly, I think the Accutron brand is too valuable to be tossed aside like yesterday's newspaper, but then again, the watches haven't been what they used to be for almost a decade now. And cod, I have to agree; even the wording on the new logo is so lame.

Looking on the bright side, I'd have to reckon there's going to be some killer gray deals for older-branded Bulova Accutron product virtually any second now.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » June 3rd 2014, 1:32pm

Accu-Swiss sounds like a laxative.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2014, 1:34pm

jason_recliner wrote:Accu-Swiss sounds like a laxative.

"Swiss Maid" gives me a boner.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » June 3rd 2014, 2:00pm

Accu-Swiss huh? Well, slide over Swiss-Legend, Swiss Technica Ebauche, Swiss Mov't, Swiss Parts, Swiss Miss, and so forth.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby mrneddles » June 3rd 2014, 4:24pm

mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » June 3rd 2014, 4:39pm

mrneddles wrote:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS60LF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=P6A32Z4LAT33&coliid=I4BLJ8N1VBWP9

That's not totally fucking awful.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby ChronoMATT » June 3rd 2014, 4:44pm

And it's listed having a "Swiss Movement" whatever that means these days. Kinda like the modern Hamilton Venturas. As a hardcore vintage Accutron collector, having a modern Alpha Spaceview-eaque watch on the wrist that you don't have to be paranoid wearing would be nice (the original is solid 14K gold).

conjurer wrote:
mrneddles wrote:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS60LF8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=P6A32Z4LAT33&coliid=I4BLJ8N1VBWP9

That's not totally fucking awful.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 3rd 2014, 4:45pm

Global Kingdom Holdings??
How does an outfit that pretty much deals in crap get ahold of these watches before regular Bulova dealers??

Not with a 10 ft. pole.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 3rd 2014, 8:04pm

foghorn wrote:Global Kingdom Holdings??
How does an outfit that pretty much deals in crap get ahold of these watches before regular Bulova dealers??

Not with a 10 ft. pole.

Jeebus, I was thinking the exact same thing. What the criterion for being an Amazon seller these days, ya own a cell phone or something?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » June 7th 2014, 9:05pm

As if on cue, Ashford has been running a "sale" on Bulova Accutron models the past few days. Slim pickings, tho.

Frankly, the Accutron auto Geminis from about six years ago that some folks purchased at a WOW closeout were some of the best deals I ever saw online, to this day.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » June 30th 2014, 6:46pm

Got to check out a couple of "Accutron II" pieces over the weekend.

I hate saying this, but, ya might as well buy a Stuhrling Original. They're just not Accutrons anymore.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby jaw » July 2nd 2014, 8:41pm

Sorry, late to this one.

The new Deep Sea pictured above definitely appealed to me. But some subtle design features in the original were just plain cooler. That's what drove me to buy the vintage model below. "Go to the source" is one of my personal commandments. I believe the vintage above released before mine - not sure. Love the sweep second hand. Always on the lookout for a vintage Astronaut w/bullet bracelet as well.

jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 2nd 2014, 8:50pm

jaw wrote:Sorry, late to this one.

The new Deep Sea pictured above definitely appealed to me. But some subtle design features in the original were just plain cooler. That's what drove me to buy the vintage model below. "Go to the source" is one of my personal commandments. I believe the vintage above released before mine - not sure. Love the sweep second hand. Always on the lookout for a vintage Astronaut w/bullet bracelet as well.

Now you're talkin'!
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby WatchDorks.Net » July 3rd 2014, 5:29am

Now THAT one gives me John's boner!

Wait... What?
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » July 3rd 2014, 5:39am

WatchDorks.Net wrote: John's boner!

Leave politics out of this!!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » July 3rd 2014, 6:49am

foghorn wrote:
WatchDorks.Net wrote: John's boner!

Leave politics out of this!!!

Post o' the week!
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby mrneddles » July 13th 2014, 4:54pm

TemerityB wrote:Got to check out a couple of "Accutron II" pieces over the weekend.

I hate saying this, but, ya might as well buy a Stuhrling Original. They're just not Accutrons anymore.

I briefly saw a few in the flesh while on layover in Philly airport today. They did not have any of the Snorkels. The Alphas looked nicely done if you don't mind the dial. The three hand date models were ok. All of the above needed serious help in the strap department. The Astronauts looked like shit.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » July 13th 2014, 5:27pm

I am stick in to my two older models, 1969 space-view and my 1971 218. 218 in leaving me in about two weeks for a much need Vacation. Should be looking fresh when she gets back. Did like the looks of that new diver though.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » July 13th 2014, 5:46pm

I've seen these popping up on Amazon. Ew.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Next

Return to Bulova & Accutron