Bulova Oceanographer re-issue. Bulova answers. Finally

Bulova Oceanographer re-issue. Bulova answers. Finally

Postby foghorn » October 19th 2018, 11:12am

2 weeks ago I asked if the non LE version used a Miyota 8215. Today they answered.

"Everette M (Bulova Consumer Support)

Oct 19, 10:07 AM PDT

It is not the same but it is similar to the 8215-although it has been modified to the new Hairspring this new movement is 821D.
Sincerely,
Everette
Bulova Customer Care

So it's official. 795.00 for a non-hacking Miyota.
I assume these will be at TJ's by spring for about 300 bucks.
Too bad-the watch had potential.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Bulova Oceanographer re-issue. Bulova answers. Finally

Postby bobbee » October 19th 2018, 11:35am

Really? What a shame they did this.
Although the Miyota is a decent enough work horse, putting it in such an iconic watch re-issue is a real let down. Would have been better to use the eco drive and drop the price a little.
Another Citizen point-blank foot shoot.
Last edited by bobbee on October 19th 2018, 11:36am, edited 1 time in total.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » October 19th 2018, 11:35am

Meh...

Thanks Foggy
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 19th 2018, 3:37pm

I do NOT mean to besmirch anyone who likes their watches - heck, I have a couple - but as a company, Bulova has its head right up its collective ass. Don't even get me started on the Bulova Accutron to Bulova Accu-Swiss and a DIFFERENT Bulova Accutron mess they made out of things - not to mention their turning Wittnauer into fucking Stuhrling Original a few years back.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » October 20th 2018, 8:13am

Well I just saw one in the metal and whatever negative feelings I had prior to today have been doubled...nay trebled!!
First-it's fucking huge! it might be 44mm from 9-3 but looks more like 46-48 with the added real estate at the corners. Plus the dial is too small so the large size is no benefit as far as easy viewing under water. Looks larger than the Seiko turtles that were in the adjoining showcase. I really think that reissues should stay as close to the original as possible. The LE version stays true at 40mm. No need to blow the non LED all the way to 44mm case with a small dial.
Second- Just about the entire watch (except case back and clasp) is high fucking polish.
Third-the movement. Already a given that it's an inexpensive, non-hacking Miyota but to experience it in person seals the deal. When winding, date setting , and screwing down the crown it has the unmistakable feel of a 150.00 automatic watch,which is NOT fine in a 795.00 watch.

Now, having finally experienced the Bulova Oceanographer "Devil Diver" Re-issue regular edition in person I can confidently proclaim

FTF'nW

foghorn

Postby conjurer » October 20th 2018, 8:21am

foghorn wrote:Well I just saw one in the metal and whatever negative feelings I had prior to today have been doubled...nay trebled!!
First-it's fucking huge! it might be 44mm from 9-3 but looks more like 46-48 with the added real estate at the corners. Plus the dial is too small so the large size is no benefit as far as easy viewing under water. Looks larger than the Seiko turtles that were in the adjoining showcase. I really think that reissues should stay as close to the original as possible. The LE version stays true at 40mm. No need to blow the non LED all the way to 44mm case with a small dial.
Second- Just about the entire watch (except case back and clasp) is high fucking polish.
Third-the movement. Already a given that it's an inexpensive, non-hacking Miyota but to experience it in person seals the deal. When winding, date setting , and screwing down the crown it has the unmistakable feel of a 150.00 automatic watch,which is NOT fine in a 795.00 watch.

Now, having finally experienced the Bulova Oceanographer "Devil Diver" Re-issue regular edition in person I can confidently proclaim

FTF'nW

So, you don't like it??
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 20th 2018, 8:26am

It's a travesty,farce,sham,mockery,perversion, a distorted example of lampoonery gone bad. I wouldn't wear it on your wrist.

foghorn

Postby TemerityB » October 20th 2018, 8:45am

foghorn wrote:It's a travesty,farce,sham,mockery,perversion, a distorted example of lampoonery gone bad. I wouldn't wear it on your wrist.

Wither Bulova.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » October 20th 2018, 5:33pm

What a shame.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Bulova & Accutron