Expecting & Finally Meeting The Admiral: a pictorial-essay!

Expecting & Finally Meeting The Admiral: a pictorial-essay!

Postby Nuvolari » November 22nd 2015, 11:09pm

I wrapped up the week by joining a friend and referral partner at one of his listings in the Livermore valley, a winery nestled deep into to the scenic foothills that are part of my backroads stomping grounds. These backroads, however, were of dirt and gravel - the backest of backroads - but ended at a sanctuary.

Once I got home I was optimistic the Admiral would have arrived, but it was not yet to be - as my later wordy rant-full post would reveal paranoia in my postal delivery, et.al.
So I had a drink and dreamt about the watch I would buy the following day.

It turns out, my jeweler had just sold the watch I sought so he ordered another and will call me when it comes in. Damn it.

And while that was indeed annoying, a pleasant occurrence happened when the Admiral finally showed up:

Which necessitated, in all politeness, removing current options to make room for our esteemed guest. So, beat it, Datejust...

We all went out to dinner with friends and the Admiral bought many many drinks so today we were a bit late getting into the garage.

The Admiral was instrumental in helping find and source parts to a recent problem in my daily driver suddenly demonstrating an extremely lopey idle with loss of boost to the brakes. The Mercedes V8 has a lotta cam, but with the vaccum problem now idles ridiculously like a Top Fueler, silly in a civilized coupé. The Admiral with a knowing nod pointed to a broken brake booster hose feeding off the left bank:

Replacement ordered delivered before Thanksgiving hopefully. (Ideally it quicker than the Admiral took for his short journey, lest I brake a few motor mounts this week...)

Meanwhile, the Admiral saw a few pictures and began to extol the virtues of handmade cars from Crewe, adding that this was something of which Dr. Smellody was very familiar.

So that seemed like a great time for a beer, some ogling, and puttering around The Legitimate Business, Racing, Watch, & Cigar Lounge... Accomplishing nothing specific on a lazy fall Sunday.

There were other pictures and similar distractions...

The Admiral couldn't have been more tired if he was mounted on a stack of Eagle "slicks"...

The Admiral gets "a head"... Of the twin-plug, air-cooled variety:

The Admiral seeks a "quick release"...

The Admiral hangs with a bunch of Cubans...

Still in casual dress, the Ad is chillin with other workers in similar attire:

It was actually one of the Admiral's elder relatives that strongly encouraged him to entertain a slightly less casual approach...

And, after all, the dog liked it. But none of us liked the damn humiliating sweater, except for my youngest daughter.

The weather is absolutely perfect outside, and with the dog staring at us there was no way would could NOT go on a W-A-L-K. (I have to spell it because my dog lurks in this forum.)

I gotta tell ya, especially all dressed up, I really like having the Admiral around. And especially like the Indiglo feature at night. I'm in no hurry to send him along, but once I finally say good bye I think I'm going to need a modern Timex to fill the void.

The Admiral does the job and looks good doing it:
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Expecting & Finally Meeting The Admiral: a pictorial-ess

Postby tiktok » November 23rd 2015, 12:48am

Great stuff, the Admiral has visited more lifestyles than Bruce Jenner, that said I believe that once the Admiral dons a new strap it is officially his, so you may have to send a letter of expiation to Annapolis if you intend on keeping that strap.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » November 23rd 2015, 5:06am

Excellent, just excellent!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Wasp » November 23rd 2015, 5:48am

Rousing romp with the Admiral. The Admiral knows his way around the engine room. Now that's' an armrest.
Very well done.
Cheers.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » November 23rd 2015, 8:42am

Fast cars, good wine and friends to let him crash at their homes... the Admiral is living the life.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 23rd 2015, 9:31am

The Admiral is the Most Interesting Watch in the World.™
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Nuvolari » November 23rd 2015, 11:24am

You know, I was concerned about that but didn't have an operations manual with me, though I believe you are correct and protocol dictates a leather quick-release strap in the Admiral's possession becomes the Admiral's possession.

tiktok wrote:Great stuff, the Admiral has visited more lifestyles than Bruce Jenner, that said I believe that once the Admiral dons a new strap it is officially his, so you may have to send a letter of expiation to Annapolis if you intend on keeping that strap.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby Nuvolari » November 23rd 2015, 11:27am

conjurer wrote:The Admiral is the Most Interesting Watch in the World.™

Yep - even THIS guy agrees...

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby Darksider » November 23rd 2015, 11:28am

Great post. I guess the Admiral did not sink after all.
Darksider
Founder

Postby biglove » November 23rd 2015, 2:54pm

Long live The Admiral!

Some really swell photos, Nuvo. And he looks quite the upper tier on that leather. Who knew The Admiral dressed up so well!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » November 23rd 2015, 3:02pm

Ha, this is fantastic although there a few pics without cars or car parts in them... That vintage Timex is great!
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » November 23rd 2015, 5:06pm

Nuvolari wrote:
conjurer wrote:The Admiral is the Most Interesting Watch in the World.™

Yep - even THIS guy agrees...

^^^That's some serious Photo Shop-fu** right there, man.
Always fun to scroll through the pics.

Despite whatever happened to the Admiral upon arrival, it's a testament to the watch that is has survived being passed around through the world's post offices in and of itself. I think we should send the Admiral to Timex when we're done along with the thread, or the history, or whatnot; he and WL could be the next face of a new takes a licking and keeps on ticking campaign.

**Fuck this fu bullshit - google fu - if google was so cool, one would no need know fu to find one's way thru- easy button, that's the ticket. Fo fu, get off you lazy ass and hit the dojo yo.
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 23rd 2015, 5:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 23rd 2015, 5:14pm

The Admiral has done more traveling, had more fun , and picked up more new shoes in the past few months than I have. I submit that , when all is said and done and the Admiral is comfortably retired, that he be honored somewhere on the WL homepage.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 23rd 2015, 5:17pm

foghorn wrote:The Admiral has done more traveling, had more fun , and picked up more new shoes in the past few months than I have. I submit that , when all is said and done and the Admiral is comfortably retired, that he be honored somewhere on the WL homepage.

Yes indedy- this was an epic-ly cool idea, fog.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 23rd 2015, 5:45pm

3Flushes wrote:
foghorn wrote:The Admiral has done more traveling, had more fun , and picked up more new shoes in the past few months than I have. I submit that , when all is said and done and the Admiral is comfortably retired, that he be honored somewhere on the WL homepage.

Yup. I konn-cure with That idear GODAM it.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » November 23rd 2015, 6:05pm

Grate yob, Nouveau! You gott lotts uh klass and a kewl dawg... 8-)
Mortuus

Postby Nuvolari » November 23rd 2015, 9:55pm

Racer-X wrote: That vintage Timex is great!

Thanks Rx! You know, funny thing I observed today is how the Admiral is so damn LOUD. The Admiral and a Spaceview 214 were laying on the wood surface of my nightstand and holy crap was that a weird technoracket. The metal cases touching the wood surface directly led to quite an echo effect.

But the vintage pin-lever mechanical Timex reminds me very much of my first watch, a pin-lever Timex my grandfather gave me in 1975. As you wrap your arm around the pillow and sleep on your stomach you could hear a faint, bell-like sound that was the pin-lever movement doing its steady and reliable thing with a high-paced dingdingdingdingdingdingding. And it's consistency would draw me into an eventual sleep. And as the years went by the sound's familiarity was somehow reassuring...

I still regret taking that damn thing apart.

But this mechanical Timex... It's sound takes me back - distinct and familiar, to a distinct and familiar point in time.

The Admiral, perhaps a better watch, is not yet old enough to draw sentimental pangs... But when it is - what do you suppose it will be that a 5 year old, today, would look back at fondly in the future? The Quartz delayed tick? I suppose to a young person that is the sound of an entirely unnecessary device completely superfluous amoung people with cellphones, so someday kids will look at them like 78rpm records, "...oh yeah, my grand dad had one of those before they outlawed batteries. I remember how they used to sound with the tick-tick-ticking...".

Or the Indiglo. Like LED displays, the backlit dial is timeless cool...

But, to me, nothing has the mechanical warmth of a pin-lever "bell" sound... I guess it's all a matter or perspective.
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » November 23rd 2015, 10:44pm

The Admiral is the most interesting watch in the world. Sharks have a week dedicated to him. He never wears a watch because time is on his side. He lives vicariously through himself. Presidents take his birthday off. His pillow is cool on both sides. He can kill two stones with one bird. That and he's got new shoes.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » November 23rd 2015, 11:33pm

I dig the Admiral's formal wear. I do miss autumn. We don't get that season around here.
artman
Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » November 24th 2015, 5:06am

Very cool thread to move threw. I love the pic's. Good stuff.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » November 24th 2015, 5:47am

Considering it's many globe trotting adventures, the Admiral looks fit and resilient. A sign of strong character. Certainly deserves to be enshrined.
We called another exterminator to take care of the rat problem in the basement. This one hasn't come out either.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » November 24th 2015, 4:09pm

conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:

Yup. I konn-cure with That idear GODAM it.

The Admiral project dispels ANY notion of Watchlords being a hater or elitist site; know what you're buying, seek value, and value quality at any price, nothing elitist about that. One need only peruse the daily watch thread to know what's said about WL is B.S. I hope all of you guys saved the postmarks / labels to glue on to the box for the HOF dispaly - it'll look like one of those old suitcases or trunks with all the tags that nostagialized folks' travel in the olden days.

Very cool project indeed, foghorn.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » November 24th 2015, 6:11pm

3Flushes wrote: I hope all of you guys saved the postmarks / labels to glue on to the box for the HOF dispaly -

Nope...tossed.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Nuvolari » November 24th 2015, 9:54pm

Awe crap, that's a great idea. But I missed that window, too...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » November 24th 2015, 9:58pm

I'm at the landfill in Staten Island combing the city's garbage in search of the packing.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Next

Return to Admiral Spunk Travels