The Admiral has landed!

The Admiral has landed!

Postby Tzimisces » October 1st 2015, 8:52am

Against all expectations, the Admiral is here. Just in time for the hurricane. We've had a week of a light, soaking rain, and now up to 6 inches of rain is expected by Sunday, along with high winds.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The Admiral has landed!

Postby foghorn » October 1st 2015, 9:50am

I never had a doubt that he would make it to Virginny. Once you've had your way with him ship him off to Smellody.
To date 7 Lords have hosted Spunk.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby gerdson » October 1st 2015, 10:36am

He made it! Fantastisch! :-)
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby codguy » October 1st 2015, 11:08am

The Admiral can handle any & all weather thrown at him, sailors deal with that sort of shit daily (hell, we even fly in the crap).
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » October 1st 2015, 11:35am

Wonderful news. A bit of suspense will only further The Admiral's legend.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » October 1st 2015, 12:12pm

I have no doubt that, true to naval protocol, you had the crew man the yards as well as mustering the 6 sideboys due a rear admiral.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Nuvolari » October 1st 2015, 12:38pm

Word on the street is... They had to kick him out of the admirals lounge because he kept picking fights with subordinates. The Admiral had to "disappear" in order to dry out before returning to active duty..

But keep it on the QT, I don't want him to get in trouble...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 1st 2015, 12:50pm

Nuvolari wrote:Word on the street is... They had to kick him out of the admirals lounge because he kept picking fights with subordinates. The Admiral had to "disappear" in order to dry out before returning to active duty..

But keep it on the QT, I don't want him to get in trouble...

The Admiral's old adage: two subordinates talking is a conversation, three talking is a mutiny.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » October 1st 2015, 5:54pm

Never doubted the salty old bastard.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 1st 2015, 7:12pm

Ok. I have met the Admiral, and though no pics yet, I can give some first impressions.

For some reason, the watch was set 6 hours early. In setting it, I found the winding knob easy to use, with no slop in the winding knob pin.

The numericals are easy to read, with excellent contrast between the black time pointers and the slightly off-white face. It is not too shinny.

The indiglo complication is a nice feature. You push the winding knob in and the face lights up, making this a great movie watch, or, dare I say it, a great watch for playing covered wagon.

Using the Conjurer/Hustler system, I rate this timepiece as 3/4 erect.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » October 1st 2015, 11:27pm

The Admiral would be happy to have an easy to use winding knob!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Tzimisces » October 5th 2015, 7:45pm

Bring the Admiral to work day. The Admiral hates this fucking job almost as much as I do. It is the "ICA" (some fancy-pants art center for Virginia Commonwealth University, or VCU). The GC is a tremendous pain in the ass, with a lot of CYA paperwork to be filled out before each lift. On each 4 page form, I write the date no fewer than 8 times, for example. I sign in 4 places, the rigger in 3, the signalman in 2, and the GC in 4. Our superintendent is the most disorganized person I've met in over 30 yrs in construction. Often, when I pull into one of his jobs, a foreman will ask "what are you doing here?" I respond "How 'bout you tell me, since you asked for the fucking crane."

Gerdson should appreciate this product of Deutschland. It is known as a "computer", but is properly known as a "Load Moment Indicator", or LMI. Very useful tool. It tells me tare weight, gross capacity, radius, boom angle, tip height, and boom length. If I exceed the capacity, it locks out the controls, (can be overridden, however), allowing only those functions that increase stability.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » October 5th 2015, 10:53pm

Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby fatman » October 6th 2015, 1:32am

gerdson wrote:Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.

:chump:

I was so hoping to see some construction site pics with the admiral. Look like he fits right in out there kicking rocks with the boys building stuff.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby jason_recliner » October 6th 2015, 2:21am

Cool playground and toys.

But if I were you I would change my signature to 'x'.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » October 6th 2015, 3:49am

Cool work photos!

I want a "bring Biggie to work day." Cranes, dump trucks, lawyering, doctoring, computering, diving, book selling, pharmaceuticaling...

The Lords are a diverse and intelligent lot and the Admiral is having his way about our lives. What a treat!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » October 6th 2015, 4:22am

He has seen more of the world than I have,,,
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 6th 2015, 6:59am

gerdson wrote:Ah, German Engineering. Note that You have to add 50-100% to any value it is showing, when a state inspector is present.

This isn't a joke. At ICA the "lift plan", and the "lift permit" (the paperwork) insist on me giving the heaviest pick at the greatest radius, then the crane capacity at that radius. I divide the weight by capacity and it must be less than 75%, or it becomes a "critical pick", which requires another layer of paperwork. The GC once went over my figures, arbitrarily added 20% for a "safety factor", noted that the result was now 73%, which he declared was close to 75, then nixed the plan. He really is a pain in the ass.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 7th 2015, 6:38pm

The Admiral and I about to unload rebar.

Later in the day, back at ICA.

Don't worry, future recipients. The Admiral was not worn all day, only for a few photo-ops. Thus the strap is not dirty or sweaty. Aside from the hygiene issue, I would hate to cause damage.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » October 7th 2015, 8:01pm

Good stuff, Tzimmy...
"Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious. Great speech is impassioned, small speech is cantankerous" - Zhuangzi
Mortuus

Postby smellody » October 7th 2015, 10:17pm

Looking good!
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby gerdson » October 7th 2015, 11:44pm

This is so cool!
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 8th 2015, 4:24am

I want to see the Admiral up on a lift, high in the sky!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 8th 2015, 1:33pm

Mildly interesting day today. The Admiral and I sailed to Fredericksburg to a new jobsite, the future home a food distribution warehouse. It will be 20 acres under roof, so a big fucking building. Right now it is 58 acres of mud. The rebar truck got stuck in the entrance.

Pushed out. The uke in front of him made him swing too early, and the spread axle didn't help. Slid right into the hole.

Watching 'em work.
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby fatman » October 8th 2015, 3:38pm

Fucking'eh. I can't imagine any one person doing so many different things in so many different places in such a short period of time.

No truer a Watchlord than the Admiral.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Admiral Spunk Travels