Exceptional Movements In History: Zenith El Primero

Exceptional Movements In History: Zenith El Primero

Postby Racer-X » September 26th 2018, 1:27pm

"Loved the world over by collectors and watch brands alike, the Zenith El Primero has been keeping the world on time since 1969. What makes the El Primero such an exceptional force still to this day? Let’s take a look and see.

Zenith El Primero: a brief history
The El Primero was launched in 1969 as one of the movements in the “race” for the world’s first automatic chronograph. Whether Zenith, or Seiko, or the Caliber 11 by Büren/Hamilton/Breitling/Heuer was actually first or not is a debate for another day."

https://quillandpad.com/2018/09/26/exceptional-movements-in-history-zenith-el-primero/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Exceptional Movements In History: Zenith El Primero

Postby Pubbie » September 27th 2018, 9:47am

Racer-X wrote:"Loved the world over by collectors and watch brands alike, the Zenith El Primero has been keeping the world on time since 1969. What makes the El Primero such an exceptional force still to this day? Let’s take a look and see.

The El Primero was launched in 1969 as one of the movements in the “race” for the world’s first automatic chronograph. Whether Zenith, or Seiko, or the Caliber 11 by Büren/Hamilton/Breitling/Heuer was actually first or not is a debate for another day."

That one will run and run. I like the beat rate of course, and the way the El P puts the date right out at the edge. But not keen the small distances from the centre axis to the middle of each subdial. Or rather, not the way it has the effect on modern size wArtChes. It's a 13-odd ligne movement designed for 38mm, not 46mm!

Too TW Steel in the wrong case. And would it kill to make it hacking, given how accurate it is (and therefore worth setting to zero seconds)?

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 27th 2018, 10:27am

Pubbie wrote:
Racer-X wrote:"Loved the world over by collectors and watch brands alike, the Zenith El Primero has been keeping the world on time since 1969. What makes the El Primero such an exceptional force still to this day? Let’s take a look and see.

That one will run and run. I like the beat rate of course, and the way the El P puts the date right out at the edge. But not keen the small distances from the centre axis to the middle of each subdial. Or rather, not the way it has the effect on modern size wArtChes. It's a 13-odd ligne movement designed for 38mm, not 46mm!

Too TW Steel in the wrong case. And would it kill to make it hacking, given how accurate it is (and therefore worth setting to zero seconds)?

It does make for a squeezed dial, doesn't. But like you said, maaane, it shure do run. I have been keeping my eyes open for a vintage Zenith with a good running EP for $15 or $20 at a thrift shop or swap meet. I'm beginning to get discouraged.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » September 27th 2018, 1:41pm

Conjurer must be asleep at the switch.

A thread titled "Exceptional Movements in History"?

Talk about a slow ball over center plate.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 27th 2018, 2:02pm

*sigh* I had an exceptional movement this morning. There.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Zenith