How many here will own up to having a smart watch?

Digital and Smart watches

Re: How many here will own up to having a smart watch?

Postby mosc » June 2nd 2015, 1:08am

foghorn wrote:
mosc wrote:My Apple Watch showed up two days ago. So far the experience is very positive. It's amazing, I can't even walk down the aisle of my local grocery without people asking me about the watch.

Any "Buy off the wrist" offers???

Thanks for a great laugh, hilarious! lol
Watch collecting is a disastrous trap and I'm stuck. At least I always know what time it is.
mosc
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Steelhead » June 2nd 2015, 2:23pm

I'm not one of those asshats who likes to brag about how out-of-touch with technology they are (no names *cough*).

I haven't felt the need for a smartwatch, but I don't have any philosophical problem with them, and if I were to get one I wouldn't hide it from y'all.
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawkeye » September 28th 2015, 3:22pm

just ordered a Samsung,got it at a good price,i figure like koi said its as a affordable quartz,i had a hundred extra bucks and said heck with it,although,i guess I coulda bought a Seiko or a bulova.
Hawkeye
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » September 28th 2015, 4:39pm

Only if I can put it on a real strap.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby jaw » September 28th 2015, 7:43pm

Thanks to Koi's enabling face swapping video a while back, I got a Moto 360 a couple weeks ago and like it. Still putting it through a paces, but so far I find it useful.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » September 28th 2015, 9:57pm

I don't see the point in wearing one, seriously, I don't see a single benefit. But then I mostly use my smartphone to read emails / business calendar or to join freaking phone conferences. I think I never had more then 3 or 4 additional apps installed. Also my eyes are getting bad, what would I be doing with such a small screen.

From what I have seen these smart watchs all look clumsy and stupid, not smart.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby jaw » September 28th 2015, 10:55pm

gerdson wrote:I don't see the point in wearing one, seriously, I don't see a single benefit. But then I mostly use my smartphone to read emails / business calendar or to join freaking phone conferences. I think I never had more then 3 or 4 additional apps installed. Also my eyes are getting bad, what would I be doing with such a small screen.

From what I have seen these smart watchs all look clumsy and stupid, not smart.

I thought the same until I owned one. They keep you from reaching for your phone every 2 minutes. Just a glance at the wrist and perhaps a swipe (or not), and that's it.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » September 29th 2015, 6:31am

conjurer wrote:
Racer-X wrote:

Hilarious. You can't tell me that NONE of the hipster beta-testers at Apple have tattoos?

Apple probably beta-tested 'em on their Chinese manufacturing workers. That had the addition benefit of impact testing when they hit the pavement.

Ha!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » September 29th 2015, 6:30pm

I'm too old to read the phone let alone a watch, in fact the graphics on Iphones are way worse than on my Galaxy.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » September 29th 2015, 7:52pm

jaw wrote:I thought the same until I owned one. They keep you from reaching for your phone every 2 minutes. Just a glance at the wrist and perhaps a swipe (or not), and that's it.

Why would I need to look at my phone every two minutes?
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » September 29th 2015, 8:52pm

Tzimisces wrote:
jaw wrote:I thought the same until I owned one. They keep you from reaching for your phone every 2 minutes. Just a glance at the wrist and perhaps a swipe (or not), and that's it.

If we traded phones (and lives), for a day that question would answer itself. Make no mistake, a smart watch is no replacement for the traditional watches we love and/or why we do (at least not yet). They're completely different and have their own usage model, value proposition, and pleasure for some. Any attempt to compare them as somewhat equal is kinda silly.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby jlicquia » December 5th 2016, 2:28pm

I have an Apple Watch 2 and wear it quite a lot; more than I expected to. It is very useful. I only need to charge it every 2nd or 3rd day. My problem now is what do I do with the A-P, Omegas, Rolexes and many vintage watches I have that are now spending a lot of time sitting in the drawer? Mostly, I wear them for "dress up" when going out or whatever while the Apple watch has become my everyday utility watch.

No one has ever asked me about the Apple Watch. The watch that attracts the most attention by far is the A-P Royal Oak.

Jim
jlicquia
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » December 5th 2016, 3:25pm

jlicquia wrote:I have an Apple Watch 2 and wear it quite a lot; more than I expected to. It is very useful. I only need to charge it every 2nd or 3rd day. My problem now is what do I do with the A-P, Omegas, Rolexes and many vintage watches I have that are now spending a lot of time sitting in the drawer? Mostly, I wear them for "dress up" when going out or whatever while the Apple watch has become my everyday utility watch.

No one has ever asked me about the Apple Watch. The watch that attracts the most attention by far is the A-P Royal Oak.

Jim

Jim ...
You do realize this is a 2015 thread (right?) since, most WIS already moved on from the "smart watch" novelty .....
eddiea

Postby artman » December 5th 2016, 3:33pm

I had a first gen Samsung, but traded it for Dyson vacuum cleaner. Best trade ever! I also had a FitBit but it rarely got any wrist time. I really like the look and feel of the new Samsung Gear S3 so I might give that a shot.
artman
Master of Time

Postby BigCheez » December 5th 2016, 3:53pm

jlicquia wrote:My problem now is what do I do with the A-P, Omegas, Rolexes and many vintage watches

I would love to solve the Royal Oak "problem"
hmu
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » December 5th 2016, 4:16pm

jaw wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:

If we traded phones (and lives), for a day that question would answer itself. Make no mistake, a smart watch is no replacement for the traditional watches we love and/or why we do (at least not yet). They're completely different and have their own usage model, value proposition, and pleasure for some. Any attempt to compare them as somewhat equal is kinda silly.

I think I missed this reply.
Point taken. I check my email once or twice a month (much to my wife's annoyance). If I get three calls in a day, I'll complain about my phone ringing nonstop. I hate phones, and have always hated phones. When my wife-to-be moved into my apartment in 1989, I had no phone and no need for one. In two years, I made exactly one call (to work when I was sick), and I walked to the corner store and spent a dime on the payphone.
Thus, to me, a smart watch is just another device that enables people to bother me with nonsense. I'd sooner wear a shock collar.

My wife, on the other hand, is exactly the opposite. She loves tech stuff, does computer stuff for a living, and is in constant contact with family and friends. Win-win: She loves it, and it saves me the bother. :D
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SynMike » December 5th 2016, 5:22pm

Not for me.

Smart watches solve problems that I do not have. I live and breathe technology all day long. It's my job. I use 2 Macs, a Windows PC, 2 iPads, 2 Android tablets, and an iPhone. My wife is getting me a fitness tracker for xmas - that will go on my right wrist. Up next is a Surface Pro. But not a smart watch. My friends are surprised. But I think for technology to really work you need to embrace it; I don't think I could wear a smart watch only 1 day a week. Once I get in the habit of using the features, I would need to wear it every day. No half way commitments. But that would mean not wearing the watches I love. I always have my phone with me, connected to my car when I'm driving. No need for anything else.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Racer-X » December 5th 2016, 5:51pm

^^Pretty much for me too. Still wouldn't mind if they could get them to hold a charge for a week, not be immediately obsolete and have decent resale value.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » December 5th 2016, 6:37pm

Tzimisces wrote:
jaw wrote:
Tzimisces wrote:

I think I missed this reply.
Point taken. I check my email once or twice a month (much to my wife's annoyance). If I get three calls in a day, I'll complain about my phone ringing nonstop. I hate phones, and have always hated phones. When my wife-to-be moved into my apartment in 1989, I had no phone and no need for one. In two years, I made exactly one call (to work when I was sick), and I walked to the corner store and spent a dime on the payphone.
Thus, to me, a smart watch is just another device that enables people to bother me with nonsense. I'd sooner wear a shock collar.

My wife, on the other hand, is exactly the opposite. She loves tech stuff, does computer stuff for a living, and is in constant contact with family and friends. Win-win: She loves it, and it saves me the bother. :D

Thanks Tz. What a difference a year makes, as I'm semi-retired since I posted that. Of all the smart wearables I've tried the only one I continue wear is a Garmin Vivosmart HR to track workouts. Unlikely that I'll buy another as the optical HR tech just isn't that accurate. All they give you is some arbitrary benchmark (different algorithm for every brand). Chest straps are still the most accurate - not doing that anymore but still algorithm dependent. As for phones, I learned in college that you're mostly at risk for bad news every time it rings. Mine is ringing a lot less now - makes bad news even more likely at my age.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby jason_recliner » December 6th 2016, 6:40am

artman wrote:I had a first gen Samsung, but traded it for Dyson vacuum cleaner.

They make a hell of a vacuum cleaner. I have a Wertheim, but I never use it. My halls have lint / hair tumbleweeds.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby Pete26 » April 8th 2017, 10:56pm

I have a fitbit. My wife made us purchase matching ones for Christmas last year. I currently have this digital G-Shock and on the fence about selling, please talk me out of it :oops:

Pete26

Postby koimaster » April 8th 2017, 11:14pm

I have one somewhere. It is so smart it is hiding from me. :scratch:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » April 9th 2017, 3:31pm

Seiko has shrunk up some of the Astrons to a more manageable 45mm. Would that count?
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » April 9th 2017, 4:35pm

NOT ME!
smellody

Postby BigCheez » April 9th 2017, 4:41pm

My smartest watch tracks three time-zones simultaneously, which is smart enough for me.
BigCheez
ASSHAT

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Watches