The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 12:22pm

Some truly funny stuff in this post. I like the auto mechanical, amazing all those little parts can be put together and in a case and keep time at all. It's elegant, and old school. Being old...old school is good! lol
I've got my Casio Mudman solar atomic when I really want to know what time it is.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Hawk » December 30th 2010, 12:56pm

PopeyeDoyle wrote:
I think that Invicta has far more class than Bedazzled G-Shocks. I don't think even Invicta's harshest critics would argue that.

:jo;jj:
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 1:28pm

Hawk wrote:
PopeyeDoyle wrote:
I think that Invicta has far more class than Bedazzled G-Shocks. I don't think even Invicta's harshest critics would argue that.

:jo;jj:


That is impossible mathematically, when you have zero class, you can't have more class than anyone or any thing! :lizard: Let's just get my stance on Invicta out in the open right away! Oh and if you check the wrist of most of the combat teams in SW Asia, they wear G Shocks. Because they are tough, you can beat the crap out of them, and they tell time on the money. Drop an Invicta on the floor, and the crystal will break, and you'll be lucky if only one hand falls off.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Watch Noob » December 30th 2010, 1:41pm

Watchlizard, I don't believe anyone here fo a second believes that Invicta is the watch of choice when you are deep in the shit. As a Vet myself, Casio's were always the digital watch of choice. Those that had analog type watches on in my Unit had the Camo straps with the flap that covered the entire case unit. As you stated perviously for Invicta to even hint their watch was tested or even worn in the field is a farce.
Again, welcome to the forum, hope you are liking this place, we try and keep it real.
Image
User avatar
Watch Noob
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 7522
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 2:39pm

Watch Noob wrote:Watchlizard, I don't believe anyone here fo a second believes that Invicta is the watch of choice when you are deep in the shit. As a Vet myself, Casio's were always the digital watch of choice. Those that had analog type watches on in my Unit had the Camo straps with the flap that covered the entire case unit. As you stated perviously for Invicta to even hint their watch was tested or even worn in the field is a farce.
Again, welcome to the forum, hope you are liking this place, we try and keep it real.


You really should read my post a bit more carefully, you said exactly what I said. Casio G Shocks are the probably the watch worn by more combat personnel than any other watch.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 5:08pm

I guess I was wrong! The hate runs deeper than I imagined... :)

My slam on Bedazzled G-Shocks wasn't a slam on the G-Shock. For fucks sake, guys! Don't be so dense. The point I am making is that slapping faux sapphires on a Casio doesn't make a watch classy. It's tacky and gaudy. (e.g. Does the Joe Rodeo treatment make the G-Shock any more rugged in the field? No.)

As far as Invicta's having class, I'll just say that I think my black SAS is a very nice looking piece and is far more handsome than a G-Shock with glitter glued to it.

Tough crowd in here...
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 5:22pm

My bad, missed what you meant. I've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer interpreting some of these posts. As far as Invicta, i won't even start on my list of bs and problems I've had with that company. If you like your watch more power to you, and I hope it keeps working. I have some I like to and wear regularly. I was referring to Invicta the company generally, their owner and their reps.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 30th 2010, 5:25pm

Did not join here to piss people off Popeye, and I usually avoid Invicta, due to a bad mind set.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby foghorn » December 30th 2010, 5:34pm

Watchlizard wrote:Did not join here to piss people off Popeye, and I usually avoid Invicta, due to a bad mind set.


Shit-people get pissed all the time here!! It gives the place character!

Lets call him PD so as not to confuse him with the original Popeye, a long time forumer and member here. And Popeye Doyle weren't no sailor man!
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Hawk » December 30th 2010, 5:44pm

PopeyeDoyle wrote:I guess I was wrong! The hate runs deeper than I imagined... :)

My slam on Bedazzled G-Shocks wasn't a slam on the G-Shock. For fucks sake, guys! Don't be so dense. The point I am making is that slapping faux sapphires on a Casio doesn't make a watch classy. It's tacky and gaudy. (e.g. Does the Joe Rodeo treatment make the G-Shock any more rugged in the field? No.)

As far as Invicta's having class, I'll just say that I think my black SAS is a very nice looking piece and is far more handsome than a G-Shock with glitter glued to it.

Tough crowd in here...


I'll grant that Casio has some tacky stuff - the worst example I found was a one with 4 or 5 different day-glo colors applied in a dog-barf pattern. It was mercifully discontinued. Still, in the race to tacky, I've been under the impression that Invicta has no peer. The overarching difference is that the G-shock, on its worst day, remains small enough to hide under one's sleeve should one inadvertently find oneself in polite company.

The Invicta signature "tuna can / guardrail nut strapped to ones forearm" offers no such option - and it's too big to remove to try flushing it down the toilet. It probably didn't help that one of the first models I remember was this... unh... thing.
http://www.nextdaywatches.com/product/_9017/invicta-mens-anniversay-bold-reserve-watch.html
Note the designer grade wire rope, the protrusions, the Hoover dam sized controls, the purple polymer strap, the titty pink clouds scudding across the cornflower blue background, the gash-like date window, the masterful use of red, black and MOP sub-dials, the bright red text proclaiming "Limited" (not nearly limited enough I would guess).

See? No hate. Just a legitimate horse race with tacky at the finish line. It's really not correct to cherry pick a dog barf G-shock to compare it to a Rolex rip-off Pro Diver. Nope. fairness demands we pick the tackiest representative from each. And Invicta will not be found lacking. That's the downside to 1,500 SKUs - some are bound to be the sucks.

I'll admit that "class" is a very personal and subjective quality. When I think of "class" Katherine Hepburn comes to mind. But Invicta is not Katherine Hepburn. Invicta's styling is more reminiscent of Britney Spears with a bald head, flashing beaver while being hauled off to rehab spitting and cussing the whole way.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Aqua Homer » December 30th 2010, 9:26pm

I absolutely love your fucking posts Hawk, but please don't use the phrase "Tuna Can" to describe Invicta. We all know exactly what you mean and Im sure agree. It's just that the tuna can is actually an iconic, awesome fucking watch!
User avatar
Aqua Homer
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: December 22nd 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Pacifica, Ca

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Hawk » December 31st 2010, 2:56am

Acknowledged and will comply.

A little googling reveals that "Tuna Can" has been used for the Seiko SBBN007. There's lots to learn before taking one's WIS bar exam.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » December 31st 2010, 4:46am

Hawk wrote:I'll grant that Casio has some tacky stuff - the worst example I found was a one with 4 or 5 different day-glo colors applied in a dog-barf pattern. It was mercifully discontinued. Still, in the race to tacky, I've been under the impression that Invicta has no peer. The overarching difference is that the G-shock, on its worst day, remains small enough to hide under one's sleeve should one inadvertently find oneself in polite company.


Again, I am not attacking Casio at all. Not once. I think they made durable, accurate, generally good looking, inexpensive watches. Absolutely nothing bad to say about them.

I repeat: the G-Shock is not tacky until the Joe Rodeo team gets ahold of it and sprays rhinestone shards all over it.

Hawk wrote:The Invicta signature "tuna can / guardrail nut strapped to ones forearm" offers no such option - and it's too big to remove to try flushing it down the toilet. It probably didn't help that one of the first models I remember was this... unh... thing.
http://www.nextdaywatches.com/product/_9017/invicta-mens-anniversay-bold-reserve-watch.html
Note the designer grade wire rope, the protrusions, the Hoover dam sized controls, the purple polymer strap, the titty pink clouds scudding across the cornflower blue background, the gash-like date window, the masterful use of red, black and MOP sub-dials, the bright red text proclaiming "Limited" (not nearly limited enough I would guess).


I agree, that particular Bolt is downright bizarre looking...

Image

However, if you add one number to the SKU, you wind up with a Bolt that is much better. Still not my cup of tea, but far less absurd:

Image

However, I'd add that everyone has an ugly duckling...

Image

Hawk wrote:See? No hate. Just a legitimate horse race with tacky at the finish line. It's really not correct to cherry pick a dog barf G-shock to compare it to a Rolex rip-off Pro Diver. Nope. fairness demands we pick the tackiest representative from each. And Invicta will not be found lacking. That's the downside to 1,500 SKUs - some are bound to be the sucks.

I'll admit that "class" is a very personal and subjective quality. When I think of "class" Katherine Hepburn comes to mind. But Invicta is not Katherine Hepburn. Invicta's styling is more reminiscent of Britney Spears with a bald head, flashing beaver while being hauled off to rehab spitting and cussing the whole way.


I think Joe Rodeo is a better fit for your Britney Spears reference. Invicta is more fitting of matching up with Lady Gaga if we're making pop culture comparisons.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Hawk » December 31st 2010, 6:00am

Joe Rodeo does add that special something but I was prepared to concede that Casio can generate tacky without after market assistance. Actually, I still am.
Image

That Omega...
Well, you made me look and it sure is there on their website, in the Men's section no less. I believe that color is what my mom used to describe as "baby shit brindle".

Nevertheless, after all is said and done, Invicta has an insurmountable advantage in bringing tasteless stuff to the masses. That advantage is, of course, simple mathematics.

Assuming that any manufacturer can come up with concentrated, triple-distilled, military grade, weaponized tacky, Invicta can simply provide more of it.

As example, that Omega has a 45mm case. The Bolt, depending on who's site you're reading has a 50 or 52mm case. The old pi r squared results in 1590 square mm of toxic tacky for the Omega vs. 1963 square mm for the Invicta. This grows to 2,123 square mm if the 52mm listings are correct - a full 34% more tacky than the Omega can muster.

Things like the Sea Hunter and Arsenal take it to a whole other level - not only is the case over 60mm but whoever designed the things probably worked for a bakery at some point - they're thick and have "layers". I watched the Shop one night and they took pains to point out the "layers" and "depth".

It was not made immediately clear when or why "layers" became a good thing in watches rather than wedding cakes but I chose not to over think the issue. Invicta is unique in being able to provide three dimensions of tacky by virtue of stacking layers of tasteless on top of one another. Any manufacturer can come up with tacky but only Invicta can provide it in such massive doses - the guardrail nut size of some models provides an enormous canvas on which to work.

I'm pop culture challenged and will cheerfully defer to your choice of Lady Gaga. Based on my perfunctory web search I believe you are correct that she more closely captures the essence of IWG's vision.



I may have to revise my numbers - someone has reminded me that pi are not square. Pi are round; cornbread are square.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby nhsmitty » December 31st 2010, 9:04am

Been thinking about the original subject....

Can't say I have anything well thought out to say..... other than....

Either would work for me when it comes to timekeeping. For mechanical, it would need to be in good working order and reasonably accurate. Any watch that's a minute out in a day or two would drive me nuts and to OCD. Within 10 seconds a day would work. Sure, a little more would work since I'm not a scientist and I'm not held to any tight time constraints. More than that and I'm going with the "this thing runs like shit" category. Quartz and timekeeping, nothing to say...

Longevity- Mechanical is going to depend on the watch.. I'm not particularly tough on my watches even though I prefer one that can take abuse, just in case. A good mechanical should last me a while.

What were the other categories? Image

What it boils down to for me I guess..... I can't deal with most affordable quartz watches from a (ghast) looks or fashion point.. The majority of them do nothing for me... Too blingy, too cluttered, etc. And the ones that are simple are just that, too damn simple and cheap looking. It's one extreme or the other. For example, I'd like a classicly styled quartz GMT. Not a clone or copy mind you but something with that style. I can get 'em all day long in automatic, but haven't seen any in quartz.. How about a new (not vintage) SKX007-styled dive watch in quartz or Kinetic or Solar. Nope.. They either reek stylewise or are way too chunky or oversized in quartz, etc.



nhsmitty
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 241
Joined: July 2nd 2010, 10:00pm

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Guest » January 4th 2011, 7:31pm

OK, I think enough has been put forward that I can take a shot at this. As I stated up front, I did not want to state a preference one way or the other as I wanted to hear what all of you had to say.

This thread for me went further than I expected and even when off topic, had some things to think about stated. All in all I really enjoyed everyone's thoughts. Here are a couple more that may not have been considered in this "contest". What movement garners the most net dollars per year as to sales of watches? Would that not be a measure as to what movement should be crowned King? Or, do we forgo that thinking and look more to a historical artisan thinking? Would not this finely crafted art of watch making that has done a wonderful job of keeping time for hundreds of years, yet be the King? Or the less sold but perfectionist choice of Atomic watch hold the crown?

May I put forth this thought. Look at your wrist. Individually and what do you see. What has embraced you to not only spend your money but to participate in a group like this for the love of watches? What is King? Look at your wrist and/or watch box. What you have and you have paid for, what your wear, is King. And this crown rightfully moves from person to person.

So, lets recognize whatever we love and wear, another movement has a good argument against it. As well as we have our arguments for what we wear. But again, what you paid your cash for and are please do display on your wrist for all to see, is certainly the champ for you and, no one can take that away. At the same time, when another WIS displays his/her movement and watch of choice, it is again, the champ to them. There are no right or wrongs until one tries to tell another, why they are wrong. So, in the end the vote should be 1-0 for any period of time. What you choose to wear at any particular time is, the winner.

Not rocket science at all. Thanks to all that responded to this thread.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Quartz! UB the Judge

Postby Hawk » January 5th 2011, 3:12am

Reasonable outlook certainly.

However, what I have on my wrist I have in spite of its movement, not because of it.

I like tritium marginally more than I dislike inaccuracy. Hence the Ball auto on my wrist makes some degree of sense for me. I am not, however, prepared to argue for its movement - I would much prefer it had quartz accuracy.

Many things in life are compromises and I suppose watches are included. Sometimes the movement just isn't the prime motivator that informs a choice of timepiece.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 8410
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The Champ, in the world of timekeeping? Mechanical vs. Q

Postby Darksider » July 14th 2016, 8:59am

:okk:
User avatar
Darksider
Founder
 
Posts: 1906
Joined: December 15th 2009, 11:00pm

Previous

Return to The Watchlord Archives - The early years

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests