Re: Swiss Made defined - A reminder

Postby mrneddles » September 14th 2011, 9:18am

What Swiss Made means to me:

etc. You get the point.
mrneddles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Bourbon City » September 14th 2011, 9:20am

Read the papers. Re-read the papers. Re-read the papers. And, re-read the papers.

This is one method of learning what the papers say. However, it does nothing as to learning what the papers mean. That implies intelligence. It also does nothing in the learning process if the reader can not read in the first place.

There are some watch makers on this planet that will never have the ability to learn what the papers say.

Or, could it be that these watch makers are intelligent and that they can read. Um? Then in my book, that makes them crooks, crooked, bad guys, criminals or downright evil bad people.

Thats a shame. The paper is so easy to understand.

bc
Bourbon City
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Darksider » April 15th 2016, 2:47pm

:bump:

just a reminder that this is here and has been for the last 5 years.
Darksider
Founder

Postby TemerityB » April 15th 2016, 5:08pm

mrneddles wrote:What Swiss Made means to me:

etc. You get the point.

This is ABSOLUTELY the definition of Swiss-made. There is Switzerland, there are the factories. My thought process begins and ends right there; leave it to neddles to sum it all up succinctly.
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » April 15th 2016, 6:02pm

Whose to say FC is a factory and not an assembly line where Chinese cases are stuffed with movements whose value is sixty percent Swiss made?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 15th 2016, 6:19pm

tiktok wrote:Whose to say FC is a factory and not an assembly line where Chinese cases are stuffed with movements whose value is sixty percent Swiss made?

This sorta kinda does:

The new Frédérique Constant manufacture measures 3200 square meters, divided over four floors, offering an attractive working environment in the sectors of movement component production, calibre assembly, watch assembly, and extensive quality control. Numerically-controlled machines of the latest generation are located in a large atelier in the basement, where all component manufacturing is concentrated. Calibre and watch assembly, as well as state-of-the-art quality control is primarily organized on the first floor of the new Frédérique Constant building. The building is also the brand’s international headquarters.

http://frederiqueconstant.com/manufacture/

That's enough, at least for me. If I have to think harder than that, it's no longer an enjoyable hobby - it's just one more thing for someone privileged enough to spend over $100 on a watch gets to whine about. Then again, my tastes are admittedly jejune; I'm perfectly happy in my meager little established brand world, and thus far Hayek's bunch has never done me wrong.

Granted, sure - there's away the tap dance over casebacks and such, but I think neddles' point is that at least the brands he depicted are, indeed, part of Swiss matchmaking since, well, there they are - much unlike the El Cheapo crap that purports to be "Swiss" something or other when it's an obvious sham.
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to The Watchlord Archives - The early years