"Swiss Gold Layering" How many microns is it really?

Postby koimaster » March 19th 2010, 7:22pm

Yesterday, 05:24 PM
MacroOrchidism007
Member Geek Join Date: Mar 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a gold layered Hamilton that was 10 microns thick. It held up very nicely for 3 years before I sold it. Wondering if anyone knew how many microns this "Swiss Gold Layering" stuff really is.

DHL
Super Geek Join Date: Jan 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroOrchidism007
I had a gold layered Hamilton that was 10 microns thick. It held up very nicely for 3 years before I sold it. Wondering if anyone knew how many microns this "Swiss Gold Layering" stuff really is.

Was your Hamilton "electroplated"? Those plates are done in a liquid bath and are thicker because you cannot get good coverage or adhesion with very thin coatings.

Swiss gold layering (and other similar processes used by other manufacturers) is a "dry" type of process where the gold or other metal is deposited from a vapor onto the surface in a vacuum chamber. Adhesion can be a lot better with thinner coatings. And its the adhesion that matters more than the thickness of the coating.

So I cannot answer your question directly because I don't think Invicta publishes the coating thicknesses. But as far as adhesion goes, the vapor deposited coatings hold up very well. Probably as good or better than any electroplate.

BigandTallWatches
Senior Geek Join Date: Sep 2008

During watch shows in 2004-05 Eyal would always point out that the gold was 10 microns thick on Invicta watches (SWI watches as well for that matter). At some point, that changed and I believe that Invicta watches' gold layering is now 5 microns thick. I don't know exactly when the changeover occurred. Perhaps Jim will post here.

RDG
Master WatchGeek Join Date: Jul 2008

I've had this gold Invicta for 2 years now. You can see the scratches on the bracelet but it looks like scratched gold. I've had $10 walmart gold watches and after 2 weeks the gold wears off.

I don't know how many microns it is but from my personal opinion the Invicta's gold layering is by far the best I've experienced.

GeorgeTheWatchGuy
WatchGeeks Moderator
True WatchGeek Join Date: Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG
I've had this gold Invicta for 2 years now. You can see the scratches on the bracelet but it looks like scratched gold. I've had $10 walmart gold watches and after 2 weeks the gold wears off.

I don't know how many microns it is but from my personal opinion the Invicta's gold layering is by far the best I've experienced.

I tend to agree!

ssantia
New Geek Join Date: Sep 2009

What should I make of this then?

This thread has me a bit confused. Judging by your comments the gold layering should hold quite well and last a reasonable amount of time. Not so in my case.

One of the reasons I purchased my first Invicta (Gold Pro Diver Auto) was Eyal's claim that the gold layer would not rub off. Imagine my surprise when two of the links had the gold almost gone after just one day of wearing my watch at work. I do work in an office and my desk is finished in plastic laminate. I did not expect the desk to do that kind of damage just by resting the watch on it. I was quite upset but I figured that the claim applied to the case and not the bracelet. My naive way to justify what happened. The finish (polished or brushed) doesn't seem to make a difference. By the way, I've bought other Invictas since and I've had the same issue.

Is this normal?

I bought a two tone Movado years ago. The gold is still in excellent shape. Kind of makes me lose faith on Invicta's claims.

Thanks,
Sam

MWayneL66
Member Geek Join Date: Feb 2010

Quote:
This thread has me a bit confused. Judging by your comments the gold layering should hold quite well and last a reasonable amount of time. Not so in my case.

One of the reasons I purchased my first Invicta (Gold Pro Diver Auto) was Eyal's claim that the gold layer would not rub off. Imagine my surprise when two of the links had the gold almost gone after just one day of wearing my watch at work. I do work in an office and my desk is finished in plastic laminate. I did not expect the desk to do that kind of damage just by resting the watch on it. I was quite upset but I figured that the claim applied to the case and not the bracelet. My naive way to justify what happened. The finish (polished or brushed) doesn't seem to make a difference. By the way, I've bought other Invictas since and I've had the same issue.

Is this normal?

I bought a two tone Movado years ago. The gold is still in excellent shape. Kind of makes me lose faith on Invicta's claims.

Thanks,
Sam

I agree with Sam, and was going to post this very same issue at some point. My second Invicta, a few years back now, was a 2 tone Pro Diver. It was not very long at all that my gold center links just rubbed off. I to work in an office environment and was not rough on that watch by any means. In fact, I didn't wear it often due to the fact I was rotating watches and not a big fan of yellow gold. That was my only foray into Invicta's gold tone watches as I didn't personally trust it anymore.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: "Swiss Gold Layering" How many microns is it really?

Postby Ditchdoc » March 20th 2010, 5:24am

Sam and I have had similar experiences with Invictas "Swiss gold layering".

When I posted this at WG, I got hammered. The crusaders all jumped in and said the watch had been abused. Not so. This is my wifes watch. At the time she had owned it for 9 months to a year. She is a Nurse and writes a lot but does not abuse her watches in any way. The gold had rubbed off where her wrist made contact with her desk in a very short time. This after I had built the watch up to her as being a quality watch. Invicta let me down again. Teaminvicta aka MD said to pm him with my info and he would take care of it. I never heard back from them and its been over a year. Judge for yourself.

Ditchdoc

Postby Watch Noob » March 20th 2010, 5:57am

I have purposely avoided Invicta's Swiss Gold layering process because of it's marketing hype and b.s. claims and descriptions. If they came out and actually told you what type of process is used it may be different. I don't ever remember anyone from Invicta saying they used a PVD process all I've heard is that it is bonded at the molecular level. All I know is that when you scratch SS you see more SS underneath. You can also polish it, brush it, blast it, etc. When you have these coatings and they scratch, your hosed. Ken sorry to hear the great MD didn't help you out. Maybe you should call in to a Testimony live show and see if they can help you with your great experience with Invicta.
Watch Noob
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Ditchdoc » March 20th 2010, 11:16am

HAHAHAHA! I would hope those guys have sense enough to put that phone on a 7 second delay. A must with all the bad CS Invicta gives.
Ditchdoc

Postby boscoe » April 5th 2010, 12:34pm

Swiss Gold Layering is garanteed to last for "an extended period of time" just like Tritanite. It was 10 microns slashed to 5 microns several years ago when the price of gold skyrocketed. At current gold prices, the additional 5 microns would've added about a $1 to the MANUFACTURING cost.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » June 25th 2019, 9:03am

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » June 25th 2019, 11:22am

"Swiss gold layering"

"Flame Fusion"

"Tritnite"

"Pro Diver"

"Grade A Mother Of Pearl"

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. See ya on the cruise! Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I bought a dive watch from them that literally had “dive” in the name. The instructions said not to dive with it - it was only meant to LOOK like a dive watch. It was also fast by more that a minute per day. Garbage. Never again. - IWG buyer on Reddit
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » June 25th 2019, 2:00pm

Microns. LOL
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to The Watchlord Archives - The early years