What is a One Handed Watch?

What is a One Handed Watch?

Postby koimaster » June 13th 2019, 11:39am

There has always been a need for time. Before wrist watches, people had to get creative in telling the time. That usually meant relying on the sun, which led the way for the sundial. The invention of clocks — and then in a smaller scale, watches — meant a more reliable way to tell the time. While looking at the sun’s position and the sky and guessing the time wasn’t an exact science, neither is reading a sundial. The main reason why? The minute hand on a clock or watch face gives a more accurate representation of just where in the hour time currently stands since its invention in the 18th century.

Now, you might think a watch without the minute hand would be useless and reverse-engineering. However, there are still fashionable models of watches that have only an hour hand, not to mention many older clock towers high above cities across the world. The UNO one-hand watch has just that — one hand. It also has more detail in the sense of marks for every five minutes while at the same time lacking the clutter of an extra hand, dial or logos. Telling the time within an accuracy of just a few minutes feeds into the watch’s philosophy and simplistic approach. Why should a traditional mechanical watch tell you the exact time? Uno itself asks the question, “Do you really need such exact times as 3:03 p.m. or 10:39 a.m. in your everyday life? Wouldn’t ‘just after three’ or almost a quarter past 11′ be entirely sufficient?”Other watches also have gone on sans minute hand, allowing for a sleeker, old-school look. However, they all trace their roots back to the original sundials which kept people ready and on time — albeit back when we weren’t in such a rush.

http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2019/05/28/ ... ded-watch/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: What is a One Handed Watch?

Postby conjurer » June 13th 2019, 12:58pm

I figured it would be the watch Shaquem Griffin wears.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » June 13th 2019, 1:36pm

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » June 14th 2019, 4:59am

Thought the question was about Invicta.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 17th 2019, 4:14pm

Hmmm...

The minute hand on a clock or watch face gives a more accurate representation of just where in the hour time currently stands since its invention in the 18th century.

What the fuck? Minute hands are seen on late 16th century German table clocks, on 17th century clocks and oignon pocket watches... Where the fuck did he get the idea that it's an 18th century invention?

Now, you might think a watch without the minute hand would be useless and reverse-engineering.

I don't think that it's useless, I fucking know that it's useless.

Unless you're Italian, then you just need donkey balls:

The UNO one-hand watch has just that — one hand. It also has more detail in the sense of marks for every five minutes while at the same time lacking the clutter of an extra hand, dial or logos.

It has a dial, it has a logo, and what you have is a complete and utter lack of powers of observation.

Why should a traditional mechanical watch tell you the exact time?

Because that's what the fuck it's for? Have you ever needed to catch a train? Have you ever had to do anything on time, you lazy, feckless oaf?

Uno itself asks the question, “Do you really need such exact times as 3:03 p.m. or 10:39 a.m. in your everyday life? Wouldn’t ‘just after three’ or almost a quarter past 11′ be entirely sufficient?”

The answer is yes, I fucking need it, as does anyone who has the habit of showing up for a meeting on time, gets the job done on time, or indeed, needs to catch the fucking train.

However, they all trace their roots back to the original sundials which kept people ready and on time — albeit back when we weren’t in such a rush.

Ever tried using a sundial at night? Ever worked the evening shift? Fuck off.
His deepest need was that people should like him. An admirable trait, that... In a spaniel, or a whore.
Francis Urquhart

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 17th 2019, 8:24pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Hmmm...

The minute hand on a clock or watch face gives a more accurate representation of just where in the hour time currently stands since its invention in the 18th century.

What the fuck? Minute hands are seen on late 16th century German table clocks, on 17th century clocks and oignon pocket watches... Where the fuck did he get the idea that it's an 18th century invention?

Now, you might think a watch without the minute hand would be useless and reverse-engineering.

I don't think that it's useless, I fucking know that it's useless.

Unless you're Italian, then you just need donkey balls:

The UNO one-hand watch has just that — one hand. It also has more detail in the sense of marks for every five minutes while at the same time lacking the clutter of an extra hand, dial or logos.

It has a dial, it has a logo, and what you have is a complete and utter lack of powers of observation.

Why should a traditional mechanical watch tell you the exact time?

Because that's what the fuck it's for? Have you ever needed to catch a train? Have you ever had to do anything on time, you lazy, feckless oaf?

Uno itself asks the question, “Do you really need such exact times as 3:03 p.m. or 10:39 a.m. in your everyday life? Wouldn’t ‘just after three’ or almost a quarter past 11′ be entirely sufficient?”

The answer is yes, I fucking need it, as does anyone who has the habit of showing up for a meeting on time, gets the job done on time, or indeed, needs to catch the fucking train.

However, they all trace their roots back to the original sundials which kept people ready and on time — albeit back when we weren’t in such a rush.

Ever tried using a sundial at night? Ever worked the evening shift? Fuck off.

Yup.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk