Fort Collins To Get the Ax

Fort Collins To Get the Ax

Postby conjurer » November 4th 2018, 9:01pm

The first I've heard about this: the federal budget in 2019 will cut the funding for the atomic time signal from Fort Collins, Colorado:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 352761002/

So, if you're an American WIS who has a watch set by atomic time, it's probably time to log on to WUS and sell the sumbitch.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Fort Collins To Get the Ax

Postby TemerityB » November 4th 2018, 9:04pm

conjurer wrote:The first I've heard about this: the federal budget in 2019 will cut the funding for the atomic time signal from Fort Collins, Colorado:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 352761002/

So, if you're an American WIS who has a watch set by atomic time, it's probably time to log on to WUS and sell the sumbitch.

Nahh, WIT! They buy so many watches that are a decade behind the times that by the time they figure this all out, their grandkids will steal whatever decent watches they stumbled onto, anyway.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » November 5th 2018, 6:21am

Might be good news. More WIS can start to enyoy their watches like we did in the olden days before all the uber attention to "accuracy"
Over at WUS (and other sites) it seems that a rate of + 8 secs/day means an emergency trip to a watchmaker for regulation.
OH! The Humanity!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » November 5th 2018, 6:29am

Looks like I'll have to drag out the ole sundial.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » November 5th 2018, 6:37am

I'm good with my watch being off by 5 minutes or so.

I am also good with the gov shrinking $ spent!
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » November 5th 2018, 7:03am

I agree with..., I am thinking the same as..., nope, can't say it.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Rusty » November 5th 2018, 7:36am

I don't want to get into politics here but part of the WH initiative here involves reduction in spending for the measurement of greenhouse gases. I don't think they give a shit about accurate timing of watches and clocks but they certainly are fearful that scientific measurement of climate change is cleared out of the Federal budget.

I don't believe that this is a done deal.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 5th 2018, 8:36am

Rusty wrote:I don't want to get into politics here but part of the WH initiative here involves reduction in spending for the measurement of greenhouse gases. I don't think they give a shit about accurate timing of watches and clocks but they certainly are fearful that scientific measurement of climate change is cleared out of the Federal budget.

Yeah right, like there's green house gases. /sarc
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » November 5th 2018, 8:37am

Rusty wrote:I don't want to get into politics here but part of the WH initiative here involves reduction in spending for the measurement of greenhouse gases. I don't think they give a shit about accurate timing of watches and clocks but they certainly are fearful that scientific measurement of climate change is cleared out of the Federal budget.

Hope you're right..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » November 5th 2018, 8:38am

foghorn wrote:Might be good news. More WIS can start to enyoy their watches like we did in the olden days before all the uber attention to "accuracy"
Over at WUS (and other sites) it seems that a rate of + 8 secs/day means an emergency trip to a watchmaker for regulation.
OH! The Humanity!!

In high school I had to hand crank the olde Timex and generally set it at the same time using the big-ass clock sitting on the mantle.

A half century later I leapfrogged the whole atomic watch thing and allowed a singular Astron GPS into the meager collection. Fort Collins calls me for the time. Notably, the GPS needs intervention every time we engage in the ancient ritual of DST.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » November 5th 2018, 8:42am

3Flushes wrote:

Yeah right, like there's green house gases. /sarc

The penalties can be severe for introducing politics into the general forum. As such I believe we should clarify that the reference is to flatulence suffered by the olde widow lady in the house at the end of the street - the one inexplicably painted a bright emerald green. In fact the gases in the green house grew so severe that 20 of her 55 cats exited the premises in favor of the aroma provided by the nearby paper mill.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » November 5th 2018, 9:07am

^^^TMMLH

I should pay more attention to where I'm typing but I figure folks keep a good eye on things so a thread will end up where it belongs and there are only so many post it notes the bezel of my monitor will hold. GODDAM the ADD.

Rusty is on the nose re to the Administration's agenda- just spoke to a friend I went to college with who teaches in the vet school at CSU who told me the whole deal indeed stinks on ice :lol:

I hope they don't get it done- My dad and I used to set our watches to that damn thing or the one in Boulder when I was a kid and have done so since--- and it's way more fun to do on the phone than on the computer.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 5th 2018, 10:55am

I once had gas so bad that everyone in the house turned green.

foghorn

Postby Rusty » November 5th 2018, 1:57pm

foghorn wrote:I once had gas so bad that everyone in the house turned green.

That explains why your bronze watches changed color so quickly. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 5th 2018, 2:57pm

Rusty wrote:
foghorn wrote:I once had gas so bad that everyone in the house turned green.

That explains why your bronze watches changed color so quickly. :mrgreen:

Yes-they developed a unique fartina.

foghorn

Postby DocKlock » November 6th 2018, 6:55am

"I once had gas so bad that everyone in the house turned green." ---- Was that "green" with envy?

I live alone so I can pass gas at any time.
I do, however, still blame the dogs tho.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » November 6th 2018, 8:45am

Article says it’s only possible. Clickbait title!
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk