The Peripheral Rotor, A Smart And Stylish Solution

The Peripheral Rotor, A Smart And Stylish Solution

Postby Racer-X » November 4th 2018, 4:23pm

"Since 2009 and the introduction of the Carl F Bucherer Calibre A1000, peripheral rotors are getting more and more in vogue. With this smart and stylish solution, the winding mass is an annular segment mounted and swinging around the movement, instead of a centrally mounted oscillating weight rotating over it. This offers an unobstructed view of the movement along with providing the convenience of automatic winding. In addition, peripheral rotors allow watchmakers to design thinner self-winding watches, without adding to their thickness with an oscillating weight rotating over the movement."

https://monochrome-watches.com/technical-perspective-peripheral-rotor-automatic-winding/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The Peripheral Rotor, A Smart And Stylish Solution

Postby TemerityB » November 4th 2018, 8:55pm

First off: Nice job on digging up interesting features, bed. Always appreciated.

Still, Carl F. Bucherer has already proven that such mechanisms can be applied to watches with a relatively reasonable price. Checking out Bucherer at the WatchTime event last week was, to me, the highlight of my time there - a brand I never paid any mind to opened my eyes, and showed that some really fine watches don't have to always be pie-in-the-sky in terms of cost.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: The Peripheral Rotor, A Smart And Stylish Solution

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » November 4th 2018, 9:03pm

Monochrome actually did any digging into the history and patent documents? I'm pleasantly surprised.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk