The Five-Year Warranty Becomes The New Standard

The Five-Year Warranty Becomes The New Standard

Postby Racer-X » November 4th 2018, 4:18pm

"Good customer service has been a hotly debated topic in the watch industry for decades.

In 2015, watch enthusiasts were delighted with the news that Rolex was setting a new standard for customer service by increasing the international warranty period from two to five years across its entire collection. Concurrently, the brand increased the recommended service intervals from five to ten years.

Rolex has long set the standard for after-sales service, with turnaround times being relatively quick as compared with other manufacturers. Some take months, even years, to complete a repair.

Before 2015 other manufacturers had been offering increased warranty periods on their in-house movements, but since the very public 2015 announcement by Rolex a gaggle of watch houses have followed suit by increasing warranty periods and service intervals, with relative newcomers even jumping on board. Fresh-faced watch companies such as anOrdain even offer a five-year purchase warranty.

The increase in both service intervals and warranty periods is certainly a welcome one, but it does beg the question what changed? In the years leading up to 2015, what dramatic horological advancements were discovered to make this possible?"

https://quillandpad.com/2018/11/03/customer-service-hotly-debated-and-introduced-at-a-snails-pace-the-five-year-warranty-becomes-the-new-standard/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The Five-Year Warranty Becomes The New Standard

Postby TemerityB » November 4th 2018, 9:00pm

All I know, regardless of the warranties, is that the long-standard "five-year service interval' preached to us for decades was pure nonsense. Eight to 10 has been preached to me by three people in the watch business, and one of them sold me one of my best watches. I'll listen to them.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » November 5th 2018, 2:28am

...what dramatic horological advancements were discovered to make this possible?"...

Finally having more money than they know what to do with?
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 5th 2018, 10:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » November 5th 2018, 6:17am

I thought that Invictar - the self-proclaimed 'industry leader', had the magical 5-year warranty on their "white glove" hand assembled Swish treasures. :awacc:
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk