Does Anybody Remember...

Does Anybody Remember...

Postby conjurer » October 26th 2018, 7:01pm

Those goofy world time wall clocks you used to see in the 1960s and 70s? They showed a big world map, with the portion of the earth that was in sunlight that traveled across the map as the hours passed. They used to use them in big corporations and the Pentagon and shit, and were said to be appallingly expensive. I tried to google 'em and came up empty.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Does Anybody Remember...

Postby conjurer » October 26th 2018, 7:03pm

Also, can anybody explain why the old guy on the Publishers Clearing House commercials looks like John Gotti?
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 26th 2018, 7:31pm

Kilburg map - the joint is still in business and offers restoration services.

https://www.geochron.com/

The current digital versions are pretty slick.

Thanks for bringing it up - best google find of the day. But I got nothing on Gotti.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 26th 2018, 7:39pm

Thanks, Mr. Hawk! That's the one, goddamn it. And they start at only two grand!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » October 26th 2018, 7:57pm

Those are so freakin' cool. My grandfather had one of those on the wall of his office mounted under a huge Marlin he caught n Mexico. His was the old mechanical style- I'd forgotten all about the damn things.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » October 26th 2018, 9:10pm

3Flushes wrote:Those are so freakin' cool. My grandfather had one of those on the wall of his office mounted under a huge Marlin he caught n Mexico. His was the old mechanical style- I'd forgotten all about the damn things.

Apparently, thanks to Mr. Hawk's link, these are still being produced the same way they were in the early 60s; production has shifted to Portland, OR from California. I agree these are astonishingly cool. If I had the wall space, I'd sell my SMP and buy one of the sumbitches.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2018, 4:12am

That is a dial option on my Apple watch

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 27th 2018, 11:03am

I suppose a WIS might be sorely tempted to order a panel with reduced opacity so as to expose the gears, cogs and shit. Kind of a big ass display back / skeleton sort of thing.

The friggin' digital (I guess a sort of quartz version analogy) is 399.00 and I've got just the 4K display for it.

Dang Conjurer - I could have easily gone to my grave without even knowing about these things and been 399.00 better off for it. The digital would fit very nicely into the space where my cable box isn't. (I avoid TV news unless troubled by low blood pressure especially around election time). At least this thing serves a valid function and might have some of the soothing effect usually associated with expensive and smelly fish tanks.

We can even have the usual WIS-type arguments about changing batteries in the remote vs. coughing up for service on the mechanical version.

You should get one of the mechanicals forthwith - you could drive a nail into the side frame and hang your exploder deux from it. Amazon has them - how convenient.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » October 27th 2018, 11:31am

I'm not sure if the new mech version is as cool as the old one- my Grandfather's was from the late 60's and was memorizing to watch. My Aunt (the mother of the drunken coke-addled malignant narcissist who destroyed our family) stole it out from under my mom when the old boy passed.

Rather than hang the thing proper, the thieving bitch fashioned her own hanger and hung it on a nail. She and her Dhammer-daddy were awakened one night as the thing fell onto a tile floor and broke into 10,000 pieces having actually pulled out a piece of the wall with it as it came down.

I'm checking on some mech refurbs, but the digi version and the price of a nice 4k dedicated monitor is pretty tempting.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 27th 2018, 11:40am

3Flushes wrote:I'm not sure if the new mech version is as cool as the old one- my Grandfather's was from the late 60's and was memorizing to watch. My Aunt (the mother of the drunken coke-addled malignant narcissist who destroyed our family) stole it out from under my mom when the old boy passed.

Rather than hang the thing proper, the thieving bitch fashioned her own hanger and hung it on a nail. She and her Dhammer-daddy were awakened one night as the thing fell onto a tile floor and broke into 10,000 pieces having actually pulled out a piece of the wall with it as it came down.

I'm checking on some mech refurbs, but the digi version and the price of a nice 4k dedicated monitor is pretty tempting.

While Conjurer is the chief enabler of impulse purchases of modern antiquities I should perhaps note that while your mouse is hovering around the digital version you'll get on-screen spam suggesting you fork over your email address. This results in a 15% off coupon code which I've already put to use.

Granted part of this was to see if it might be programmed to display upside-down and include CO2 rather than CO atmospheric spikes. This would be just the thing to get Carl spun up - potentially.

Not like I will assiduously track global dumpster fires but it would be a novelty along the lines of Wing's cube-warrier catapult watch:

A little frivolity never hurt. They're either joking or that's one hell of a dumpster fire.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » October 27th 2018, 7:44pm

Hawk wrote: But I got nothing on Gotti.

Here's the jamoke I'm talking about:

As he's obviously not wearing Brioni suits, it's probably not John Gotti. But he kinda looks like pacerguy.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 28th 2018, 6:35am

Does look a bit like Travolta's Gotti.

Ceremony depicted reminds me of something:

https://www.theonion.com/insurance-comp ... 1819573960
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » October 28th 2018, 9:52pm

^^^That's funny.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby boscoe » November 2nd 2018, 1:13pm

Not even close to The Teflon Don.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk