Out of warranty service

Out of warranty service

Postby labman » October 2nd 2018, 8:11pm

A recent service experience I would like to relay.

Based solely on my experience, your actual experience may differ and results are not guaranteed :D

I have a Lum-Tec M18 that has a vintage Russian Slava 2427 twin barrel movement that has a quick set date button

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2015/07/03/sekonda-slava-2427/

An overall solid and reliable movement, IMO, in terms of accuracy and power reserve.

Long story short, after 5+ years of ownership I had a problem with the quick set date button and time keeping.

Took it into Lum-Tec for service, as they are located 5 minutes form my office, and got a call that they no longer have parts to service the watch.

Went to pick it up and was offered 50% of of any purchase and they gave me my watch back, at this time I took them up on their 50% offer and picked up a 300M.

I was bummed about the M18 but liked my new 300M.

Liking the M18 as much as I do I started to track down someone that would service and repair a Slava 2427 movement and came across a website fixmywatch.com.

https://www.fixmywatch.com/

Gave them a call described my "watch situation" with the brand and movement and after maybe 2 minutes on hold was told that they could work on my movement, to send the watch in and I would receive an estimate of the cost to repair and had the option to just have them send the watch back if I chose not to have it repaired based upon the cost.

I sent the watch in on 9/3/8, on 9/7/18 i received and email with the estimated repair cost(which was a total of $108.00 to repair the quick set date function and service the movement), sent them payment, on 9/13/18 received an email that the watch had been serviced and was in QC, on 9/19 received an email that the watch had passed QC and was shipped and on 9/22/18 the watch was delivered and I might add in working condition with the quick set date issue fixed and the timing has been great.

In 19 calendar days my watch had been received, serviced, QC'd and shipped and received back for a total of ~128 bucks (I paid to ship it there).

I am quite happy with the service and communication and will utilize them again without hesitation.

As stated though, your mileage may vary.
Last edited by labman on October 2nd 2018, 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Re: Out of warranty service

Postby TemerityB » October 2nd 2018, 8:20pm

Great post, really informative. This is the kinda stuff that makes watch forums so good. Well done.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » October 3rd 2018, 6:39am

Good to hear - and somebody tell the rooster - a Russkie movement with a quick set date!
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » October 3rd 2018, 6:46am

TemerityB wrote:Great post, really informative. This is the kinda stuff that makes watch forums so good. Well done.

Yes!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 3rd 2018, 8:00am

Falstaff wrote:Good to hear - and somebody tell the rooster - a Russkie movement with a quick set date!

AND they managed to fuck it up!!!!

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk