Size doesn’t matter – why 36 should be the new 42

Size doesn’t matter – why 36 should be the new 42

Postby Racer-X » September 22nd 2018, 7:01pm

"Editors note: I wrote this story back in 2015, and I’m pleased to say that the passage of time has somewhat vindicated my opinion. Some brands, like Tudor, Oris and IWC, have been releasing new 36mm watches with unisex appeal, so the size seems to be catching on. And while the 47mm big boys of the industry are still there, they’re not as omnipresent as they were a decade ago. Is the swing back to smaller sizes a return to sanity, or just another trend?

If you ever have the opportunity to try on a watch made before the ’50s, we’re willing to bet you’ll be astounded at how small it feels. Back then, anywhere between 30mm and 36mm was considered normal, while everything more than that tended to be described in auction catalogues as ‘oversized’. And often these smaller pieces languish, unsold, unloved and unworn."

https://timeandtidewatches.com/editors-pick-size-doesnt-matter-why-36-should-be-the-new-42/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Size doesn’t matter – why 36 should be the new 42

Postby TemerityB » September 22nd 2018, 7:08pm

Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 22nd 2018, 7:19pm

I don't think I've said it of any author of any article at any watch blog, and it may be, that it'll be long before any article makes me say that again... Mr. Scholz, I salute you.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » September 23rd 2018, 12:48am

Somebody hacked Mikey's account, better send him a email koi...
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 23rd 2018, 12:58am

Don't listen to the haters, 36mm is ok. I mean everyone should experience wearing a women's watch at least once in their life!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » September 23rd 2018, 2:11am

With many considerung anything below 38mm "boy or lsdy size", for years now 3 hand vintage classics have stayed very affordable. For my part, that don't need to change. :)
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 23rd 2018, 3:46am

44mm +watches certainly have their place, It just isn't above the surface where the air breathers live.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MAX » September 23rd 2018, 4:09am

I find 39mm to be the perfect size but thats just me.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX

Postby codguy » September 23rd 2018, 4:55am

foghorn wrote:44mm +watches certainly have their place, It just isn't above the surface where the air breathers live.

Whew, had me worried there for a quick spell.... only 43.7mm

Personally, I can't do below 38mm.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » September 23rd 2018, 5:22am

That got close, cod, You certainly are a lucky guy.

I am wearing 35mm right now:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » September 23rd 2018, 7:25am

People forget that larger watch sizes simply reflect the fact that people are taller and bigger these days. Proportionally, this means the average ‘50s gent was 4’3” and around 75 lb.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » September 23rd 2018, 8:33am

Pubbie wrote:People forget that larger watch sizes simply reflect the fact that people are taller and bigger these days. Proportionally, this means the average ‘50s gent was 4’3” and around 75 lb.

Best takedown of the common rationale I've seen yet. Larger is / was solely a fashion. If there ever was a reason for oversized watches invicter fucked it in the ear by doing the near-impossible: marketing a 52mm watch less legible than an average lady's watch from the mid-20th century.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 23rd 2018, 8:56am

I'm not quite sure at which point has this entire fashion for watches bigger than the wearer's wrist started. Guess I'd blame Whoblow, Invicter and IWC.

Invicter, for obvious reasons.

OK, IWC has drawn inspiration from a watch that measured 55mm, but which was never meant to be worn in any other way than over a pilot's jacket. Throw in a bloody big 8-days movement with two massive mainspring barrels, some space for the rotor, put a Faraday cage around that, and it just can't be small. Portugiesers with the same movement feature a display back, which only shows just how little space is left between the edge of the case and the behemoth inside.

Whoblows I've always found ridiculous. I remember some interview with Jean Clawed Beaver, possibly on Hoodwinkee's Talking Crotches, where Monsieur Beaver was asked, why he blew up one of the Whoblows to 48mm. "Because I could", replied Beaver. "Because I have complexes and I want to cater to clients with no sense of style, and with a micropenis" would probably be a more accurate answer.
Winston Churchill

Inspector Harry Callahan

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » September 23rd 2018, 9:17am

Pubbie wrote:People forget that larger watch sizes simply reflect the fact that people are taller and bigger these days. Proportionally, this means the average ‘50s gent was 4’3” and around 75 lb.

Well I'm sure that , at some point in the 50's , I matched that description.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby relaxer7 » September 24th 2018, 7:21am

38mm - 42mm is good for me - just don't get the urge to wear anything kids size
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » September 25th 2018, 2:19am

Hawk wrote:
Pubbie wrote:Best takedown of the common rationale I've seen yet. Larger is / was solely a fashion. If there ever was a reason for oversized watches invicter fucked it in the ear by doing the near-impossible: marketing a 52mm watch less legible than an average lady's watch from the mid-20th century.

: ) I also blame high-fructose corn syrup, beer, chips, fried food and screen addiction. Anyone saying of their 55mm behemoths "this wears small"... yes, because you're morbidly obese. A grandfather clock would "wear small"!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » September 25th 2018, 7:06am

I wouldn't wear a watch under 40mm.

The upper limit is the Orient Sat diver at 46mm....which to be honest wears really well on Hirsch Extreme rubber.

Last edited by bedlam on September 25th 2018, 7:07am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » September 25th 2018, 7:07am

[quote="MKTheVintageBloke"]I'm not quite sure at which point has this entire fashion for watches bigger than the wearer's wrist started. Guess I'd blame Whoblow, Invicter and IWC.

Probably started at the point that some Bright Boy in marketing realized that watch sizes had been more or less the same for the last 50 years. Complications wouldn't appeal to the mass market - after all, the average mass market schlub wouldn't know a sonnerie from a sombrero - much less care. A dead end for increased sales. Then Bright Boy remembered the lesson of Swatch - that those bright colors, trendy themes, wide availability, simple operation and relatively inexpensive price triggered a huge buying response that had legs with the mainstream buyers for years. The Swatch thing having been done already, BB thought long and hard and came up with the only option left - size. Let's make 'em bigger, brighter, and with more time knobs! The rest is - sadly, history.

In contrast, there was a brief surge in popularity for pocket watches as pork pie hat wearing, latte sipping, skinny jeaned, neck bearded hipsters embraced the retro chic appeal, but like all trends millennial, lasted about as long as an order of avocado toast at Sunday brunch at Panera Bread.
"Did you get me my Cheez Whiz, boy?"

The Blues Brothers
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » September 25th 2018, 8:30am

Falstaff wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:In contrast, there was a brief surge in popularity for pocket watches as pork pie hat wearing, latte sipping, skinny jeaned, neck bearded hipsters embraced the retro chic appeal, but like all trends millennial, lasted about as long as an order of avocado toast at Sunday brunch at Panera Bread.

Quite so, and well said, you eloquent fuck!

There was also a brief period a few years back of sales for vintage (and vintage-sized) wristwatches, due to the popularity of the show Mad Men.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 25th 2018, 11:49am

conjurer wrote:There was also a brief period a few years back of sales for vintage (and vintage-sized) wristwatches, due to the popularity of the show Mad Men.

Yeah, suddenly everyone wanted to wear the Don Draper thing. The resulting growth of vintage watch sales wasn't as noxious on its own as what happened to the market for 1960s Omegas. Don Draper wore a Seamaster De Ville with a black dial. The problem is that most (if not all) SMDVs never came with a black dial in the first place. So, all the redial "artists" suddenly started repainting as many Seamaster De Ville dials as they could, to sell not a Seamaster De Ville, but "the Don Draper watch." Fuck that fucking show, hell knows how many good watches have been ruined, because a fucked-up prop guy (heard he was a watch guy, so probably one of the idiot kind) chose a fucking redial for Don fucking Draper to wear.
Winston Churchill

Inspector Harry Callahan

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 25th 2018, 8:32pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:There was also a brief period a few years back of sales for vintage (and vintage-sized) wristwatches, due to the popularity of the show Mad Men.

Yeah, suddenly everyone wanted to wear the Don Draper thing. The resulting growth of vintage watch sales wasn't as noxious on its own as what happened to the market for 1960s Omegas. Don Draper wore a Seamaster De Ville with a black dial. The problem is that most (if not all) SMDVs never came with a black dial in the first place. So, all the redial "artists" suddenly started repainting as many Seamaster De Ville dials as they could, to sell not a Seamaster De Ville, but "the Don Draper watch." Fuck that fucking show, hell knows how many good watches have been ruined, because a fucked-up prop guy (heard he was a watch guy, so probably one of the idiot kind) chose a fucking redial for Don fucking Draper to wear.

Mad Men was my favorite show ever, you fucking nut!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 26th 2018, 6:37am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Mad Men was my favorite show ever, you fucking nut!!

Somewhere above, the late James Gandolfini would probably want to remind you just what was your favourite show :mrgreen:
Winston Churchill

Inspector Harry Callahan

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk