eBay Expands Luxury Authentication Program to Watches

eBay Expands Luxury Authentication Program to Watches

Postby Racer-X » September 6th 2018, 10:52pm

"SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 5, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, eBay announces the expansion of eBay Authenticate™ into the luxury watch category, offering consumers thousands of high-end watches, verified by professional authenticators. eBay's Authenticate program, which launched in the luxury handbags category last year, includes watches and handbags from the most sought-after brands marked with an "Authenticity Verified" label. The service also expanded this month into several European markets, including the United Kingdom and Germany.

eBay, one of the largest luxury watch marketplaces in the world, offers the widest selection of inventory online. Shoppers can now browse an authenticated selection of over 30 luxury watch brands, including Rolex, Patek Philippe, Omega, Audemars Piguet, Breitling and Panerai, at eBay.com/authentic/watches. The watches -- a top selection of pre-owned, vintage and new -- are verified by third-party authentication experts and sourced through select, top-rated eBay sellers. Nearly 7,000 watches are available at launch globally, adding to the thousands of handbags currently listed through the service. With new styles added daily ranging in price from $500 to upwards of $50,000, the program is expected to grow to nearly 10,000 luxury watches in the coming weeks."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ebay-expands-luxury-authentication-program-to-watches-300706793.html

ebay authenticated watches
https://www.ebay.com/rpp/fashion-events/authenticated-luxury-watches
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: eBay Expands Luxury Authentication Program to Watches

Postby bobbee » September 7th 2018, 1:24am

How about a little background on their "experts"? I don't trust eBay one bit, sorry.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » September 7th 2018, 5:00am

The way eBay operates, it's probably an "expert" sitting on a stool watching a conveyor belt go by with piles of watches.
Some 'fakes' are obvious, but some take a real expert to really spend some time to verify.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby relaxer7 » September 7th 2018, 6:29am

Suppose it makes a refund easier if found to be fake. How about Franken's??
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » September 7th 2018, 6:40am

I would think if the sale made it clear a watch is made of different parts, it is okay.
I can't imagine how the 'experts' get to see all these watches in person though, as there is no other way to authenticate a watch thoroughly.
If they are doing it by photos alone, this can often end in tears.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk