The First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition

The First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition

Postby bobbee » August 21st 2018, 5:20am

MUSEUM STATE-OF-THE-ARTNESS
Omega breathes new life into the first wrist-chronograph ever assembled in the manufacture by proposing its 1913-created model with a cutting-edge twist. Explanations.
Riding the wave of everything vintage, the watchmaking industry has invited us to discover a myriad of limited series combining a case embracing the stylistic codes of a historic model, to a greater or lesser extent, and an ultra up-to-the-minute movement. Omega has reversed the trend by presenting a genuine timepiece from its original collection. With its First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition, the brand reveals a watch incorporating a real hand-wound mechanical movement from 1913. The eighteen 18”’ CHRO calibres, equipped with a Breguet balance-spring, which make up this limited edition come from timepieces retrieved from the vaults of the brand’s museum. All were meticulously hand-restored pursuant to the rules of the craft and integrated into a 47.5 mm-diameter case which hosts cutting-edge components. To complement the white gold, SednaTM gold has been used on the crown and on the push-piece set at 6 o’clock. This alloy, comprising 75% gold, copper and palladium, stands out with its reddish colouring and enhanced durability.

https://www.watches-news.com/omega/firs ... d-edition/

Pretty good, but not faithful to the original.
The shadow dial should have lume, the hour and minute hands should be lumed skeleton 'pear' (cathedral for yanks!) hands, the sweep chronograph hand does not have an arrow tip, and the crown should be the small 'pumpkin' style.
A 1917 advert showing the radium dial/hands, and a 2012 auction pic of an original 1915 non-radium dial/hands model, with gold pear hands.

ImageImage
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Re: The First Omega Wrist-Chronograph Limited Edition

Postby Thunder1 » August 21st 2018, 6:12am

The dial is too confusing to decipher as a daily wearer...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » August 21st 2018, 7:21am

Uhm nope, they can keep it.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby relaxer7 » August 21st 2018, 7:24am

CHF 130,000.... Jesus titty fucking Christ
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » August 21st 2018, 7:51am

Too many "not right" things to list. Pass - with prejudice.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 21st 2018, 8:00am

130K CHF for an incorrect dial & hands combination? May Ron Jeremy fuck them in the ear.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 21st 2018, 10:29am

All becomes clear when we see T.E. Lawrence's example from the Omega museum, signed with the British military pheon and the 'A' for aviation.

:D

"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 21st 2018, 1:39pm

bobbee wrote:All becomes clear when we see T.E. Lawrence's example from the Omega museum, signed with the British military pheon and the 'A' for aviation.

:D

Am I the only one who's suspicious of it? The case looks too good for something that was supposedly used as a daily beater by a guy doing guerilla warfare in the desert. IMO, it looks like it went through a rather extensive - and not very good - restoration.
Besides, what the hell would a watch intended for the RFC be doing on the wrist of an intelligence officer?
Winston Churchill

Inspector Harry Callahan

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 21st 2018, 1:58pm

It has been restored by Omega for a prime position in their museum, so it does look too clean!
Omega have full records for this watch, so supposed to be all genuine.
I like the 'lentil' shaped case of the original more than the new LE.

bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » August 22nd 2018, 5:21am

"The eighteen 18”’ CHRO calibres, equipped with a Breguet balance-spring, which make up this limited edition come from timepieces retrieved from the vaults of the brand’s museum. "

So it's a franken, and they probably destroyed several other perfectly good watches in order to rake in a little extra? Talk about desecrating your legacy. Anyway, it's a hot mess of a watch and it sure isn't for me. I'd be happy to take it as a freebie, and then chuck it on eBay though.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » August 22nd 2018, 8:20am

They had a much nicer version of this watch a couple of years ago- MSRP about 10K in steel. LE/SE queens. 132,000 Amurican Outta their fuckin' minds.

EDIT: Ya know, those weren't around very long, the 47 was the model AIR. They were marked Ω / OMEGA in red at 12 and that was it other than the Swissness mark. I wonder if these were part of the frankening.
Last edited by 3Flushes on August 22nd 2018, 9:27am, edited 2 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 22nd 2018, 9:06am

bobbee wrote:It has been restored by Omega for a prime position in their museum, so it does look too clean!
Omega have full records for this watch, so supposed to be all genuine.
I like the 'lentil' shaped case of the original more than the new LE.

I just wonder if they haven't simply removed the radium lume, and replaced the hands in order to pretend that it was never lumed in the first place.

Pubbie wrote:"The eighteen 18”’ CHRO calibres, equipped with a Breguet balance-spring, which make up this limited edition come from timepieces retrieved from the vaults of the brand’s museum. "

So it's a franken, and they probably destroyed several other perfectly good watches in order to rake in a little extra? Talk about desecrating your legacy.

If they have really taken these movements from complete watches, that's vandalism, plain and simple.
Winston Churchill

Inspector Harry Callahan

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 22nd 2018, 11:33am

This article with a reply from Omega gives some insight.

http://famouswatches.blogspot.com/2005/ ... h.html?m=1

The case back was from a pocket watch and the inner case had been enlarged by hand to fit the movement.

bobbee
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk