Downsizing: Six New Watches Under 40-mm from Top Brands

Downsizing: Six New Watches Under 40-mm from Top Brands

Postby Racer-X » August 14th 2018, 8:04pm

"Over the past two years, we’ve seen an influx of modestly-sized timepieces from the dominant industry players. Even the leaders of the “wrist-saucer” trend, Panerai and Breitling, have changed their strategy and started developing a more approachable range. It turns out after years of wristwatches growing exponentially to the point where they dwarf anyone that isn’t an Expendables-style action star, it turns out not everyone wants to look like the Last Action Hero when they’re at the office. While it’s still more common than not to see watches landing over the 40-mm mark, it’s a good sign for the industry, especially those with dainty wrists, that we’re slowly shifting back to more classically-proportioned timepieces. We rounded up six watches from the past few years, all from top brands, that embrace the sub-40-mm fit."

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/watches-under-40-mm-rolex-omega-panerai-breitling-tudor-grand-seiko/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Downsizing: Six New Watches Under 40-mm from Top Brands

Postby smellody » August 14th 2018, 8:08pm

I like all those. The panerai was nice. I may try that again. I liked my white one but it was too large. This one may be Goldilocks!
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 14th 2018, 8:47pm

Most of these are quite decent. Dunno what to think about a Navitimer that's not a chronograph, but then again, when it comes to time-only watches with a slide rule, this has already been done in the past (by Juvenia in the 1940s, if my memory serves me well).

The Panerai Luminor Due, while actually not bad in terms of design, is one of Panerai's most laughable models. It's right there with the limited edition with the "NOS" Angelus movements (and in fact, a stash of random Angelus key-wound desk clock movements "repurposed" as stem wind and set ones), and the "Brooklyn Bridge" LE with the lowest grade Unitas inside (no, not the Panerai-decorated one) made with the belief that all the buyers will be idiots and won't unscrew the back to look at the movement.
First of all, 30m WR. What the fuck is that?! Panerai was supposed to be the big name in waterproof tool watches. This, meanwhile, is splashproof at best.
The case back, while faceted like the typical Panerai screw-in backs, is actually a press-in one. An imitation. That's as sordid as it gets. In the 1960s and 1970s, that's what the manufacturers of all the faux-dive pin-lever wonders did. And here comes a supposedly luxury brand, fucking their clients over by charging thousands of dollars for a fucking imitation. Revolting and pathetic.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby labman » August 14th 2018, 9:06pm

To me the best of the bunch is the GS - love the gold hour markers and hands against the white dial.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » August 14th 2018, 9:47pm

The Seamaster gives me a fucking boner.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » August 15th 2018, 1:58am

To be fair, a lot of consumers love being fucked hard if it helps their personal brand alignment. Panerai is merely supplying the thrust, so to speak.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » August 15th 2018, 3:25am

Some nice offerings here..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk