How Not to Buy a Watch: My Misadventure

How Not to Buy a Watch: My Misadventure

Postby Racer-X » August 11th 2018, 8:02pm

"The year: 2006.

The place: Tim Jackson’s watch shop in Northern California.

The event: a now-legendary weekend organized by Jackson and attended by some of the world’s great independent watchmakers, including Kari Voutilainen, Marco Lang, Peter Speake-Marin, and Vianney Halter.

The objects of desire: the Antiqua and Contemporaine, two dramatic pieces made by Vianney Halter, on display at the event.

Oh, how I loved those watches!

While some of my pals were not quite sure at the time about the Antiqua, for me it was love at first sight. And meeting Halter only increased my ardor. The only thing holding me back from placing an order to add one to my then-modest collection was the expense, which at the time was far beyond my watch budget.

The similar-but-simpler platinum Contemporaine that Halter brought with him also caught my eye, but sadly was financially out of reach as well.

As the months passed, I couldn’t get these two pieces out of my mind and searched the web from time to time to see whether any might be available on the pre-owned market."

https://quillandpad.com/2018/08/11/how-not-to-buy-a-watch-my-misadventure/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: How Not to Buy a Watch: My Misadventure

Postby TemerityB » August 11th 2018, 8:07pm

That a lot of time, money, angst, and sleepless nights about a watch that looks like the predator in a Stephen Jay fever dream.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: How Not to Buy a Watch: My Misadventure

Postby foghorn » August 12th 2018, 3:44am

TemerityB wrote:That a lot of time, money, angst, and sleepless nights about a watch that looks like the predator in a Stephen Jay fever dream.

I agree, but all those red circles would bug the shit out of me too.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Return to General Watch talk