New Study Warns Against Radium-Dialed Watches

New Study Warns Against Radium-Dialed Watches

Postby Racer-X » June 27th 2018, 9:44pm

"According to a five-year study carried out by research teams at the University of Northampton and Kingston University, and funded by UNESCO, the International Union of Geological Sciences, and the International Geoscience Programme, antique radium-dialed watches could be a legitimate health hazard for their owners."

http://wornandwound.com/new-study-warns-against-radium-dialed-watches/
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: New Study Warns Against Radium-Dialed Watches

Postby smellody » June 27th 2018, 9:53pm

I am a goner!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » June 27th 2018, 9:57pm

Just make sure you wear them outside. Otherwise, you'll inhale radon gases, which isn't, apparently, very good.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 27th 2018, 10:10pm

What radon gas does:

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, according to EPA estimates. Overall, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. About 2,900 of these deaths occur among people who have never smoked. On January 13, 2005, Dr. Richard H. Carmona, the U.S. Surgeon General, issued a national health advisory on radon.

--https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon

What Seiko Tuna Divers do:

--They are fucking cool.

--If you are otherwise fit, have a good BMI, don't have BO, and have most of your teeth, a Seiko Tuna will help you get laid from broads who like fit males with good BMI, no BO, and decent teeth, particularly in beachfront bars during Lady's Night.

--They will tell time well below their stated WR depths.

--If your dive computer fails, they will possibly save your life, so you can dive again and take pictures of fish and mussels and shit.

What Seiko Tunas won't do:

--Protect you from fucking radon gas and shit.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » June 27th 2018, 10:21pm

These were very high levels, but it was also 30 watches in one room. According to the study, it was roughly 362 pCi/L in US Radon units. Divide by 30 watches and you have 12 pCi/L per watch. US EPA action level is 4 pCi/L.
Last edited by Racer-X on June 28th 2018, 6:44am, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » June 28th 2018, 1:42am

Please, won't someone save all those watch repairman from impending doom? I mean, they have only been doing it for years and years and years and...
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk