Is 30mm. enough to satisfy YOU?

Is 30mm. enough to satisfy YOU?

Postby bobbee » June 26th 2018, 6:22am

I have often read that small watches are pointless/useless/too ****ing small.
Not so with vintage watches of a certain age. Back before the 1960's, small was beautiful, and at one time it was de rigeur.
Here are some of mine that measure 30 mm, and I will explain a little about them where I can.

Rotary Super-Sports.
These models were and still are popular little watches with 15 jewel movements. This dates around 1950.

Bentima Anti Shock.
Bentima is the UK importers name for Oris watches, and used the Oris pin pallet movements. This one dates to around 1950.

Lucerne Chromatic.
Don't know much about this, except it uses a one jewel Lapanousse type movement.

Sekonda military Style.
Made in the USSR around 1970, using a Slava movement. Looks very similar to the cheaply made Timex military style watch from the same time.

Zentra automatic.
This pretty little all stainless steel auto uses the ETA cal.1256, the first auto from the marque made from 1950-1954. This example has a date on the inside case back, '12/50', making this an early example.

Hope you enjoyed this, and please feel free to post your own 30mm. examples.

Bob.
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Re: Is 30mm. enough to satisfy YOU?

Postby biglove » June 26th 2018, 6:40am

Those are cool. I don't think I could be comfortable wearing smaller than 36mm. Am too fat for that.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » June 26th 2018, 6:56am

Wouldn't be a problem for me. Those of us of a certain age have memories of much of the 20th century being attempts to make watches smaller and thinner. It might have gone a bit too extreme with some lady's products from mid-century that required spectacles to read but, on average, "small" resulted in "bragging rights" for the manufacturer.

Perhaps if there wasn't competition getting watches smaller we'd all still be wearing trench watches which would still be smaller than current fashion brands.

It's not like some of the huge ones increase legibility. More than a few big-ass invicters seemed to be a 40mm watch with a huge-ass bezel. Big only for the sake of big while being less legible than a product of modest size and minimal bezel.

In some crowds 38mm is considered a "lady's watch". 30mm just doubles down without adding any new snark from the fashion watch crowd. If I can read it without resorting to reading glasses I'm in.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » June 26th 2018, 7:23am

Those are so cool I could just plotz!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » June 26th 2018, 7:41am

Great post. 37mm my limit and stopped me from a Timex Marlin.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » June 26th 2018, 8:15am

Very enjoyable post and pics....(interestingly, or not and to Cecil the post) I recently picked up a few vintage items from the Bay, which I suspect are really FrankenWatches using new dials. I have to post a few pics. 34mm sizes, with one at 32 and I really enjoy them.
As long as the lug width is 18mm, the small cases still work.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » June 26th 2018, 9:33am

I don't think I have a 30mm, but a couple of 31/32mm. 28mm I do consider too small.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » June 26th 2018, 9:49am

I frequently wear my 30mm Rolex Speedking. Belonged to my Dad who won it in a raffle in a PX in Namur, Belgium in 1944. Also quite fond of my Hamilton Seneca/Sherwood in 14k at 22mm wide by 37mm l to l.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » June 26th 2018, 12:13pm

Nice watches! I've done 34mm. Giant (over 10% larger) next to a 30 mm. 39/40 is my top. 36mm DJ is just right.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby 3Flushes » June 26th 2018, 12:38pm

Those are cool man. I have two that are 30, and a couple 32's and 34's. I have a big wrist, so wearing them is situational; they look ridiculous for wearing daily, however, they are cool and look great with a shirt cuff for dress / business.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 26th 2018, 1:41pm

The Bentima and Lucerne are nice, but don't really move me, the Rotary looks good, the Sekonda is cool, but the ZentRa... The ZentRa nearly had my appendage break the zipper open. Looking at the facets on top of the lugs, I wonder if the case is by any chance a Spillmann one. A bloody fine fuckin' watch, Bob.

As to watch sizes... Well, you know me, chaps, I wear 28mm watches without a single thought about the size being too small. I have one 30mm, an Eterna, which still waits for a service.

28mm:

Another 28mm:

30mm (sadly, no wrist shot yet):

32mm:

33mm:

34mm:

And, for good measure, 38mm:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk