James Bond Wore Quartz Wristwatches

James Bond Wore Quartz Wristwatches

Postby koimaster » May 24th 2018, 9:37am

The world of James Bond was conceived as fantasy that reflected real-world fears, cast in starker contrasts, offered up through a flawed hero who took control of circumstances dealt to him.

The advance poster for SPECTRE gave nothing away in terms of plot details for that next EON Productions movie.

But it clearly showed Daniel Craig in character as Agent 007, wearing a diver’s watch! On a NATO strap! Perfectly accessorizing the retro-contemporary look set by commando-black sweater, dress slacks, and leather shoulder holster, no less.

Given the Watch & Clock Bulletin readership, I’m willing to bet that many of you at least noticed that James Bond watch. But when did the public notice? And why?

Let me be clearer. At what point, historically, did people start to regularly take note of James Bond wristwatch choices? Can we identify some originally inherent reason that led them to value having such information?

As the title of this article implies, I believe that we can. Furthermore, I can demonstrate that credit for the genesis properly goes to the Quartz Revolution, beginning with the early 1970s.

That was the point at which the age-old, universally agreed upon challenge of producing timepieces that performed to the highest practical accuracy standard was achieved. Equally important, society at large was focused upon and excited by this as it was happening. Worldwide, leading watchmakers saw, then leveraged the EON-Bond character to ride the wave crest.

The essence of every James Bond story always has been—beginning with Ian Fleming’s first book in 1953, and including Skyfall in 2012—man against the clock.

For example, in his 1955 novel Moonraker, we only thought the enemy was Hugo Drax. But it was actually the countdown to rocket launch, with Agent 007 and the Bond girl trapped in a path destined for ignited engine exhaust.

https://watchnews.nawcc.org/james-bond- ... tches.html
This is what hooked readers and kept bringing them back for more.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to General Watch talk