The Watch That Started It All

The Watch That Started It All

Postby koimaster » May 6th 2018, 12:22am

Every watch aficionado has a story about how they fell in love with watches. It may start with the first watch he or she wore as a child, the first serious watch they received as they entered adulthood, or the watch that they dreamed about owning. Like every passion, appreciating fine watchmaking is a journey that is unique to each and every person. For this issue, Revolution’s Editors share their individual stories from around the globe.

https://www.revolution.watch/the-watch- ... ed-it-all/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Watch That Started It All

Postby foghorn » May 6th 2018, 3:14am

Fuck ‘em all.
ESP. S. Wong and her MB&F

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Rusty » May 6th 2018, 6:55am

What a bunch of liars. Not a Timex in the bunch? Really?
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 6th 2018, 8:16am

foghorn wrote:Fuck ‘em all.
ESP. S. Wong and her MB&F

I wouldn't mind seeing that MB&F pumping up and down in my lap.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » May 6th 2018, 8:44am

A two tone Seiko my high school GF bought me for Xmas my senior year. I eventually bought a Seiko diver which I wish I still had. God, I abused that watch. Gave the first Seiko to my Dad and he wore it for 20 years.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » May 6th 2018, 9:13am

Rusty wrote:What a bunch of liars. Not a Timex in the bunch? Really?

My thoughts also...at least there was a Seiko in the bunch.

I feel like less of a hoarder now compared to the joker who had 1,000.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » May 6th 2018, 12:29pm

A Seiko 5 priced in the middlin' two digits. Gold tone in a diver-ish style. In retrospect it should have come with a surgeon general's warning about being habit forming, constituting a gateway drug and that sort of stuff.

Still have it.

This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 6th 2018, 2:32pm

I wish I remembered what watch started it all for me. Maybe it was the first watch that I've bought, a Timex Expedition. Or maybe the two Soviet watches inherited from my great-grandfather? I guess it was the latter.

That, of course, is me trying to pinpoint which one exactly started the hobby for me. It could as well have been this Edox, a birthday present that cemented my fondness of mechanical watches...
"Open heart" watches aren't really my thing, but I do love this one.

Or was it this Tissot, my first vintage purchase?
I still remember the day, when I bought it from a stall chock full of battered Poljots, pin-levers and all the junk wonders of Cathay.

All in all...I'll be fucked if I know.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 6th 2018, 2:46pm

I don’t remember either but after reading about the pretentious editors I believe it was the Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon that I won for coming in first in my 4th grade spelling bee at the Fauntleroy Academies for Gifted Ne’er-do-wells in Newport.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » May 6th 2018, 5:37pm

My dad gave me my first watch when I was in the 5th grade. It was calculator watch with a stylus built into the band, but I cannot remember the brand. This was the early 80's so my teachers really had not seen their students with this kind of tech on their wrists. So for 2 years I practically cheated my way thru math class and looked like a genius. In the 7th grade they finally caught on to the fact that other kids were doing the same thing and banned calculator watches in the classroom. This actually explains why I cannot multiply or divide worth shit.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » May 6th 2018, 10:36pm

My dad gave me a Waltham surfboard chronograph when I was about 15 or 16; it wasn't my first watch, which was (I think) a Timex. The Waltham was gold-plated, and had a Valjoux handwind movement inside. It has, alas, been lost through time.

To this day, I recall getting up early for school, and seeing my dad wind his old field watch that he got for high school graduation. He would be sitting on the edge of the bed, winding it up, the first thing he did every morning, even before heading downstairs to brew his endless cups of coffee. He would drink coffee all through the day, even brewing another pot of coffee when he got home from work, reading the Chicago Daily News, which was delivered and ready for him in the late afternoon (he read the Chicago Tribune in the morning, which magically was there every morning, even before he and I got up, which was very early indeed.) Every few days, he would call for the Correct Time; he would set his field watch, and like the naval chronometers on HM ships, that would be the time we would all set our watches to.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » May 6th 2018, 10:37pm

For me...

So I knew I liked them.

Then, I got this...(courtesy Walmart)

It bored me so much I went hunting...

That decision changed my life :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2018, 7:06am

In 1994, my wife-to-be saw me ogling this in a jewelry store window, and she just handed it to me a few days later as a surprise. Sure, this is no luxury piece, but the more than $300 she spent on it at the time was more than I would have spent on a watch after wearing nothing but cheap stuff on my wrist my whole life (Swatch, Timex, department/drug store watches). I got fascinated in the Kinetic movement, starting reading up on it, learned about autos and Swiss watches and started leering in watch stores, and the rest his history. Although the early Kinetics rank as big of a consumer ripoff that anything Invicta has ever done, I had my watchmaker put a new capacitor in this one a few years ago, and it's going again after years of sitting in a drawer. This watch means as much to me as anything I own; I'll never sell or trade this one.

"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Bigjimzlll » May 8th 2018, 12:16am

My Dad gave me a Timex when I was 5. Then I bought a Bulova Caravelle in HS. I was gifted a Guess chrono diver. I liked that watch. Then it was on....
Bigjimzlll
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk