Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby koimaster » May 2nd 2018, 8:59am

He’s the world’s most famous secret agent, and the selection of watches on his wrist is at least as varied as the parade of “Bond girls” at his side. Each watch reflects its epoch: from robust mechanical timekeepers, through digital timepieces, to state-of-the-art chronometers. Our timeline presents an overview of 007’s wrist-wear.

1962
James Bond first appeared on the silver screen in 1962 and has remained there ever since, but the Bond character was born 10 years prior to 007’s cinematic debut. Ian Fleming wrote Casino Royale, his first novel about the adventures of the charming MI6 agent, while on his honeymoon in 1952. Although Bond immediately showed extraordinarily good taste in automobiles and clothes, his wristwatch wasn’t identified until Fleming’s second novel, Live and Let Die (1954). Bond wears a Rolex in this book, which is not surprising, because Fleming himself wore a Rolex Explorer, Reference 1016, on an extensible Oyster riveted strap. Fleming’s affection for Rolex is apparent in the first James Bond film, where Bond, played by Sean Connery, casually straps on a Rolex Submariner without a date display while hunting the nefarious Dr. No, for whom the movie is named. Reference 6358 has a leather strap here. Film buffs believe that this model was one of Sean Connery’s personal possessions.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/watc ... 728bd6f117
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 35661
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby foghorn » May 2nd 2018, 9:28am

I didn't finish the article.
I got as far as Halle Berry. Then something came up.
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17697
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby TemerityB » May 2nd 2018, 8:13pm

Cripes, this joint is slippin'. No "Daniel Craig sucks" and anti-Omega screeds? Impressive.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 14574
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby smellody » May 2nd 2018, 8:14pm

TemerityB wrote:Cripes, this joint is slippin'. No "Daniel Craig sucks" and anti-Omega screeds? Impressive.


I concur with those statements!
   Image
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5722
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby artman » May 2nd 2018, 9:06pm

Daniel Craig Sucks.
User avatar
artman
Master of Time
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: February 8th 2015, 5:42pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby smellody » May 2nd 2018, 9:34pm

artman wrote:Daniel Craig Sucks.


Agree!

Bond #1 - Connery
Bond #2 - Moore
#3 - Lazenby

Those others......... not Bond.

Rolex? James Bond's watch. (Period.)
   Image
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5722
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby bedlam » May 2nd 2018, 9:54pm

Image
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
WIS Divemaster
 
Posts: 7988
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby JAS1125 » May 3rd 2018, 5:42am

smellody wrote:
artman wrote:Daniel Craig Sucks.


Agree!

Bond #1 - Connery
Bond #2 - Moore
#3 - Lazenby

Those others......... not Bond.

Rolex? James Bond's watch. (Period.)


Nah....in comparison to the characterization from the books

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Brosnan
4. Craig/Lazenby
5. Moore....very good in Live and Let Die, but afterwards the entire movie series sank into parody.

We do agree on Rolex however :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby foghorn » May 3rd 2018, 5:48am

What about David Niven and Barry Nelson?? Haterz!!!
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17697
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby JAS1125 » May 3rd 2018, 6:27am

foghorn wrote:What about David Niven and Barry Nelson?? Haterz!!!


Yup!

and don't forget the guy who Fleming thought Bond should look like

Image
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby conjurer » May 3rd 2018, 8:20am

How many times do we have to have this argument?
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.


--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 27706
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby foghorn » May 3rd 2018, 8:40am

conjurer wrote:How many times do we have to have this argument?





42
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17697
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby JAS1125 » May 3rd 2018, 10:00am

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:How many times do we have to have this argument?


42


I thought it was 47
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2018, 11:07am

I wonder where the fuck from did they get their little theory, that Bond's Rolex in the Live and Let Die book was inspired by the 1016 worn by Ian Fleming. The book dates to 1954, so rather obviously Fleming wasn't wearing a 1016 back then, as the 1016 was introduced 9 years later, in 1963. If Fleming had an Explorer in 1953/1954, that would have been a ref. 6150.

For the sake of joining the argument: Connery was the best 007, and the Submariner 6358 was likely the most fitting watch for the character. However, since Rolex has fucked up the Submariner by giving it a case suffering from elephantiasis and a bezel that shines more than a dog's ballsack, the Submariner is obviously not going to return as a Bond watch. Looking at the Submariner of today, which - as I have mentioned - kind of blows, so that's no big loss, Bond will be better off wearing Omeegers.

Not like I mean it, but for the sake of breaking some balls, I'll say the Seikos chock full of gadgets were the best Bond watches. (scurries away quickly)

I don't get the praise for Lazenby as Bond either. I mean, he might not have been a bad Bond, but this instalment in the series was the Jane Austen kind of boring, and for fuck's sake, someone had the poor sod wear a fucking jabot. A jabot! In the 19-fucking-60s?! Yikes.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby conjurer » May 3rd 2018, 11:21am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I wonder where the fuck from did they get their little theory, that Bond's Rolex in the Live and Let Die book was inspired by the 1016 worn by Ian Fleming. The book dates to 1954, so rather obviously Fleming wasn't wearing a 1016 back then, as the 1016 was introduced 9 years later, in 1963. If Fleming had an Explorer in 1953/1954, that would have been a ref. 6150.

For the sake of joining the argument: Connery was the best 007, and the Submariner 6358 was likely the most fitting watch for the character. However, since Rolex has fucked up the Submariner by giving it a case suffering from elephantiasis and a bezel that shines more than a dog's ballsack, the Submariner is obviously not going to return as a Bond watch. Looking at the Submariner of today, which - as I have mentioned - kind of blows, so that's no big loss, Bond will be better off wearing Omeegers.

Not like I mean it, but for the sake of breaking some balls, I'll say the Seikos chock full of gadgets were the best Bond watches. (scurries away quickly)

I don't get the praise for Lazenby as Bond either. I mean, he might not have been a bad Bond, but this instalment in the series was the Jane Austen kind of boring, and for fuck's sake, someone had the poor sod wear a fucking jabot. A jabot! In the 19-fucking-60s?! Yikes.


The fuck's a jabot?
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.


--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 27706
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2018, 11:28am

conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby conjurer » May 3rd 2018, 11:34am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.


--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 27706
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2018, 11:36am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!

That must have been in...1850?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby conjurer » May 3rd 2018, 11:42am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!

That must have been in...1850?


1983, smart guy! And, I'll have you know, I got so much pussy juice on that fucking shirt, Dapper Duck's Formal Wear of Oak Park stiffed me on the fucking deposit!!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.


--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 27706
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2018, 12:03pm

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!

That must have been in...1850?


1983, smart guy! And, I'll have you know, I got so much pussy juice on that fucking shirt, Dapper Duck's Formal Wear of Oak Park stiffed me on the fucking deposit!!

OK, mea culpa, didn't know that one could rent a bib in 1883 :lol:
Besides, isn't it Ducky's Formal Wear?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby foghorn » May 3rd 2018, 12:14pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!

That must have been in...1850?


1983, smart guy! And, I'll have you know, I got so much pussy juice on that fucking shirt, Dapper Duck's Formal Wear of Oak Park stiffed me on the fucking deposit!!

OK, mea culpa, didn't know that one could rent a bib in 1883 :lol:
Besides, isn't it Ducky's Formal Wear?


Needs another quote
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17697
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby JAS1125 » May 3rd 2018, 12:29pm

foghorn wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:The fuck's a jabot?

It's a type of neckwear. Looks like a fancy bib. Went out of use in, like...the 19th century, or thereabouts.

Here's Lazenby wearing that:
Image
Not sure if it really is a jabot, but it looks like a fucking jabot, and it looks ghey anyway.


I wore a shirt like that to my senior prom, you daft yob!!

That must have been in...1850?


1983, smart guy! And, I'll have you know, I got so much pussy juice on that fucking shirt, Dapper Duck's Formal Wear of Oak Park stiffed me on the fucking deposit!!

OK, mea culpa, didn't know that one could rent a bib in 1883 :lol:
Besides, isn't it Ducky's Formal Wear?


Needs another quote


Done...I aim to please

I love it when a post wanders off the reservation so quickly
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2273
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby smellody » May 3rd 2018, 2:49pm

JAS1125 wrote:
smellody wrote:
artman wrote:Daniel Craig Sucks.


Agree!

Bond #1 - Connery
Bond #2 - Moore
#3 - Lazenby

Those others......... not Bond.

Rolex? James Bond's watch. (Period.)


Nah....in comparison to the characterization from the books

1. Connery
2. Dalton
3. Brosnan
4. Craig/Lazenby
5. Moore....very good in Live and Let Die, but afterwards the entire movie series sank into parody.

We do agree on Rolex however :mrgreen:


Live and Let Die was the best!
   Image
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 5722
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby Falstaff » May 3rd 2018, 3:18pm

From Russia with Love - best ever. Not many fancy gadgets, just Connery at his double-tough best with Daniela Bianchi and Lotte Lenya with that knife in her shoe. Gypsies, Turks, Russkis, the Orient Express and speedboats across the Adriatic to Venice - just classic.
"Be careful with that axe, Eugene."
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 7054
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Bond watches -The Complete Movie Timeline

Postby foghorn » May 3rd 2018, 3:25pm

Eye eye,eye like the one ware he sayz BondJamesBond for wuts his nayme...
Image



Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
 
Posts: 17697
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Next

Return to General Watch talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests