2018 Red Dot Design Awards - Invicta snubbed

2018 Red Dot Design Awards - Invicta snubbed

Postby koimaster » April 23rd 2018, 4:18pm

Paying to get an award. Christ what an insult to watch buyers. No less crass now then it was when Invicta did it.

Fifteen watches have won the coveted international Red Dot design prize in 2018, with two additional watches winning Honorable Mention awards, which the jury grants for well-executed details. Two of the 15 top watches were honored with the prestigious Red Dot: Best of the Best award: the Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic and the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45 Luxury Kit.

A product receives the Red Dot when at least two of the three judges vote in favor of the product. A particularly superior design may be awarded the Red Dot: Best of the Best when all three jurors vote in favor of the distinction. In 2018, the three-person jury included Chronos Editorial Director Rüdiger Bucher (below, right), watch expert and author Gisbert L. Brunner (below, center) — both WatchTime contributors — and British design strategist Michael Thomson.

https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-in ... gn-awards/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: 2018 Red Dot Design Awards - Invicta snubbed

Postby conjurer » April 23rd 2018, 4:24pm

Carrot Top was supposed to be on the watch jury as well; unfortunately, while in the grip of 'roid rage, he tried to eat a Dumpster.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 23rd 2018, 5:47pm

Jeez, just yesterday I was in a store and I saw a freakin' baby bassinet or something and on the box it said "Red Dot Award Winner."

It's the biggest pile of horseshit (the local award goes to the Long Island Press' "Best of Long Island" contest, which is just a huge transparent scam designed to sell ads); the problem is that stupid people fall for all this meaningless shit.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » April 23rd 2018, 5:53pm

Not nearly as prestigious as the "Red Buttons Award"

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 23rd 2018, 6:18pm

foghorn wrote:Not nearly as prestigious as the "Red Buttons Award"

He was great in The Towering Inferno, although he looked a little silly in bunker gear.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 23rd 2018, 7:46pm

conjurer wrote:
He was great in The Towering Inferno, although he looked a little silly in bunker gear.

I thought I read somewhere that in 1981 or so that Button and Burgess Meredith, desperate for any role, had a cameo in the R-rated drive-in sex comedy "Dead Men Get No Tail." My memory might not be up to snuff, tho.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 23rd 2018, 8:07pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I thought I read somewhere that in 1981 or so that Button and Burgess Meredith, desperate for any role, had a cameo in the R-rated drive-in sex comedy "Dead Men Get No Tail." My memory might not be up to snuff, tho.

From IMBD:

"Dead Men Get No Tail was a poorly reviewed, cut-rate bomb that starred Red Buttons and Burgess Meredith as a pair of homosexual vampires in Peoria, Illinois. Originally helmed, for some reason, by Jerry Lewis (after his planned Holocaust comedy, The Day the Clown Cried, collapsed from the backers seeing a rough cut), the production was taken over by American International Pictures for the southern drive-in curcuit, where people will watch literally anything. Buttons played Rolar, a Bulgarian prince who turned into a vampire in the 12th Century, and Meredith was cast in the role of Lepke, a vampire from Prague, who was, unaccountably, Jewish.

For some reason (it's never explained) the two vampires end up in Peoria, where they stalk high school boys for their precious blood, as well as other bodily fluids. Also included in the provocative cast is Bea Arthur, who plays Sugar Tits, a local madam, who worries that with all the high school football players dying, her trade might suffer. She enlists the local sheriff, Backson Baker (played by Dabney Coleman, who went to the Screen Actors Guild to have his name removed from the credits) and turns into a superannuated Buffy, hunting down the Depends-wearing rump rangers.

The film was such a flop, costing so much to American International, and receiving such horrific reviews, that it was yanked from the theaters and all extant prints were destroyed. Supposedly, one print was sent to the Library of Congress's film archive, and disappeared, probably ending up in the dumpster out back."

http://www.IMBD/Lostfilmredbuttons253.com

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 23rd 2018, 8:09pm

conjurer wrote:
TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:

From IMBD:

"Dead Men Get No Tail was a poorly reviewed, cut-rate bomb that starred Red Buttons and Burgess Meredith as a pair of homosexual vampires in Peoria, Illinois. Originally helmed, for some reason, by Jerry Lewis (after his planned Holocaust comedy, The Day the Clown Cried, collapsed from the backers seeing a rough cut), the production was taken over by American International Pictures for the southern drive-in curcuit, where people will watch literally anything. Buttons played Rolar, a Bulgarian prince who turned into a vampire in the 12th Century, and Meredith was cast in the role of Lepke, a vampire from Prague, who was, unaccountably, Jewish.

For some reason (it's never explained) the two vampires end up in Peoria, where they stalk high school boys for their precious blood, as well as other bodily fluids. Also included in the provocative cast is Bea Arthur, who plays Sugar Tits, a local madam, who worries that with all the high school football players dying, her trade might suffer. She enlists the local sheriff, Backson Baker (played by Dabney Coleman, who went to the Screen Actors Guild to have his name removed from the credits) and turns into a superannuated Buffy, hunting down the Depends-wearing rump rangers.

The film was such a flop, costing so much to American International, and receiving such horrific reviews, that it was yanked from the theaters and all extant prints were destroyed. Supposedly, one print was sent to the Library of Congress's film archive, and disappeared, probably ending up in the dumpster out back."

http://www.IMBD/Lostfilmredbuttons253.com

Yep. At my drive-in when I lived upstate, it was third on a triple bill with Van Nuys Blvd. and Chatterbox. :wink:
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 23rd 2018, 10:34pm

TemerityB wrote:Yep. At my drive-in when I lived upstate, it was third on a triple bill with Van Nuys Blvd. and Chatterbox. :wink:

Interestingly, you may well have been the third guy who's seen it, at least, the third left alive.

Forrest J. Ackerman, publisher of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine, the creator of fandom (whatever the fuck that is) as well as the "Ackermonster," reviewed Dead Men Get No Tail in his mag, December, 1981. Now, Forrie (as he was known to his pals) never gave a bad review to any movie, ever, at any time. He would have logrolled Triumph of the Will, as long as there was a werewolf in it and the check from the studio didn't bounce. Apparently, like the movie, this issue of FMofFL never made it to the newstands' shelves. In an unpublished biography of Ackerman, he says:

"This was literally the worst piece of fucking shit I'd ever seen. I mean, who gave a shit about a couple of old fruit vampires? Halfway through the picture, there's a scene were Red Buttons is fucking Burgess Meredith in the ass. I swear to Christ, it looked real, from what I could see between my fingers. And I was like, what the fuck does this have to do with horror? Apart from Burgess Meredith taking it up the ass from Red Buttons. But I digress. I wanted to publish the full review, including the F-word, in the rag, but my money guys said, 'fuck, Forrie, you nuts or what?' And I said, 'It's a piece of fucking shit, and there ain't no fucking way that Red Buttons gets to be the Ackermonster from cornholing Burgess Meredith.' And the money guys said, 'You can't use the F-bomb, Forrie.' And I said, 'The fuck I can't. "National Lampoon" uses it every month, why can't I?' and they said, 'Well, you ain't the fucking "National Lampoon," Forrie, and besides, you sell in Topeka, and they ain't never heard the word "fuck" in Kansas." So I said, 'Whatever the fuck,' and the review never saw print."

http://www.ackermonsterwasmylife/pg.62.com

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » April 23rd 2018, 11:22pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I thought it was called "No Cunty For Old Men."
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 24th 2018, 5:48am

Jeebus, Conj. That's some awesome stuff. Have missed your writing as of late.

Homoerotic incontinent vampire storytelling done right.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby gerdson » April 24th 2018, 10:32am

hilarious!
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 24th 2018, 10:39am

Right now I feel like the Carl Reiner to conj' Mel Brooks - which is kinda cool, actually.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » April 24th 2018, 10:47am

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. T set up the straight line, and I happened to be the next batter up.

I find it quite satisfying posting incorrect information on the internet; hopefully, there's some MFA douchebag at LCLA film school who's feverishly looking for information on this picture on the Dark Web.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk