The Five Best Starter Watches Of 2018

The Five Best Starter Watches Of 2018

Postby koimaster » April 18th 2018, 8:33pm

The two major watch shows of the year – SIHH and Baselworld – are now both firmly behind us, which means that we know most of the new watches that are going to be making their ways into boutique cases and onto wrists in 2018. We've told you about the watches we'd wear everyday, the watches that haunt our dreams, and even the things that caught us off-guard. We thought it would be worthwhile though to circle back, with this little bit of additional perspective, and to think about what watch we're recommend to someone looking to pick up his or her first fine timepiece. Luckily, this year we're spoiled for choice.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/five- ... es-of-2018

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Five Best Starter Watches Of 2018

Postby artman » April 18th 2018, 8:54pm

All nice watches, but none of these I would consider a "starter watch".
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » April 18th 2018, 9:00pm

I agree with Art. For 99.9% of folks most of those would be a single watch purchased for a lifetime and most are with a high enough price that few folks could afford until age 30+.

Typical Hodonkey BS.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 18th 2018, 10:18pm

biglove wrote:I agree with Art. For 99.9% of folks most of those would be a single watch purchased for a lifetime and most are with a high enough price that few folks could afford until age 30+.

Typical Hodonkey BS.

Quite so. For the great majority of people, a watch costing $100 would be expensive. Even the Certina and the Seiko, which represent the only true values of the five listed, are ruinously, absurdly expensive for most people.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » April 18th 2018, 10:42pm

I like the little black bay. It's a good starter. But never buy something you wouldn't be willing to keep for a lifetime.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bedlam » April 19th 2018, 1:31am

conjurer wrote:
biglove wrote:I agree with Art. For 99.9% of folks most of those would be a single watch purchased for a lifetime and most are with a high enough price that few folks could afford until age 30+.

Typical Hodonkey BS.

Quite so. For the great majority of people, a watch costing $100 would be expensive. Even the Certina and the Seiko, which represent the only true values of the five listed, are ruinously, absurdly expensive for most people.

The funny thing is Hodinkee doesn't appear to realise how far up their own arse they have gone
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » April 19th 2018, 3:35am

I'm guessing this article in Hodinkee wasn't aimed at the watch buying public in general, but rather, the beginning or hope to be, WIS collector...that Seiko is the bee's knees..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » April 19th 2018, 3:53am

smellody wrote:I like the little black bay. It's a good starter. But never buy something you wouldn't be willing to keep for a lifetime.

I bet this one will be a right little flipper. It'll get bought, WIS will wank off, then sell it when they realise it isn't a keeper beater grail bad boy etc.

You can practically buy a used Black Bay at a gas station, so common are they on the used market, so I do look forward to checking this one out at least, see if they got the size right.

Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby relaxer7 » April 20th 2018, 1:47am

This is a starter watch hodinkee. You bunch of dick sniffers.
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MAX » April 20th 2018, 4:15am

Another dick reference.

Nice watches at least but unless your name is Elon Musk I wouldnt consider them starters. His should be quartz anyway.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 20th 2018, 7:58am

artman wrote:All nice watches, but none of these I would consider a "starter watch".

It continually amazes me how the supposed "watch media" goes out of its way to intentionally separate itself into its own hoity toity bubble. I dig good watches as much as anybody, but the scene is anything but inclusionary. Until that changes, all that doom-and-gloom news about sales slumps and lack of exports will only result in a raised middle finger from this quarter.
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2018, 12:08pm

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Typical Hodonkey BS.

The funny thing is Hodinkee doesn't appear to realise how far up their own arse they have gone

I agree with all of the above.

Starter watches, my arse.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » April 20th 2018, 3:50pm

TemerityB wrote:
artman wrote:All nice watches, but none of these I would consider a "starter watch".

It continually amazes me how the supposed "watch media" goes out of its way to intentionally separate itself into its own hoity toity bubble. I dig good watches as much as anybody, but the scene is anything but inclusionary. Until that changes, all that doom-and-gloom news about sales slumps and lack of exports will only result in a raised middle finger from this quarter.

The all-knowing horseshit is all the more remarkable because most of 'em know fuck all except how to spend up big on high-test Veblen product. Most can't even set the fucking time. Spend 10 grand on something that basically a glossy fucking magazine told you to buy and now you think you're in some essclusive club? Right. WIS? Try TWAT.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk