Navitimer style

Navitimer style

Postby Falstaff » April 17th 2018, 3:11pm

My bro-in-law called me (as the "watch guy" in the family) looking for a watch as a present for his son's college graduation. Bro has worn one of the Seiko Flightmasters for years with the slide rule bezel and all the all the "aviation" functions and would like to give something similar to his boy since the young fellow majored in engineering and robotics. He'd like it to be a slide rule (or at least aviation style) auto with a budget around $4k. Needless to say the first that came to my mind was the classic Navitimer, which can be had gray for that amount - as well as Hamilton's new X-wind auto chrono H77736733 for substantially less ($2k retail), but beyond those I'm running on empty. Suggestions?
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Thunder1 » April 17th 2018, 3:41pm

The Citizen Eco-Drive NaviHawk if he wants to spend $500.00 or less..
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: Navitimer style

Postby conjurer » April 17th 2018, 3:59pm

I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.


--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 27312
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Navitimer style

Postby svaglic » April 17th 2018, 5:17pm

^^^^^ That Sinn is sharp.
Image
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: Navitimer style

Postby biglove » April 17th 2018, 9:02pm

svaglic wrote:^^^^^ That Sinn is sharp.



I will second that!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 11256
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Mark1 » April 17th 2018, 10:47pm

Too many tymeknobs on the Sinn.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 7693
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Navitimer style

Postby bobbee » April 17th 2018, 11:03pm

biglove wrote:
svaglic wrote:^^^^^ That Sinn is sharp.



I will second that!


I will third it.
But...
...for a fraction of the price, a clone...




Image
Image
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
User avatar
bobbee
Master of Time
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Mark1 » April 17th 2018, 11:38pm

Tell him to buy the son a scientific calculator and a watch the son likes. In a career working with engineers I have yet to see one bust out a watch for any calculation. I do like the watch style but in a similar vein I wouldn't even consider using a tachymeter for filling out a flight plan. There are a thousand ways to perform that task and all of them are easier than using a watch bezel.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 7693
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Falstaff » April 18th 2018, 7:03am

Mark1 wrote:Tell him to buy the son a scientific calculator and a watch the son likes. In a career working with engineers I have yet to see one bust out a watch for any calculation. I do like the watch style but in a similar vein I wouldn't even consider using a tachymeter for filling out a flight plan. There are a thousand ways to perform that task and all of them are easier than using a watch bezel.


I think it may be a case of dad wanting to buy his boy a watch that he always admired for himself, so I'd be a little reluctant to suggest a substitute - although Bro has mentioned that sonny might like an auto racing inspired piece as well. Of course the woods are full of those.

By the by, that Sinn is the tits - many thanks, conjurer.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Pubbie » April 18th 2018, 7:53am

Falstaff wrote:I think it may be a case of dad wanting to buy his boy a watch that he always admired for himself, so I'd be a little reluctant to suggest a substitute

This is similar to the tempation to recommend to people asking for a suitable engagement or anniversary gift to by a used (not vintage, used) watch. "That's what I'd buy for 2k" fine but it ignores the context. A used modern Seamaster with someone else's shit on is not going to get you remembered.

Having said that, given the recipient is an engineering major, something that appeals to the engineer would be great, such as

An IWC Ingenieur, with discount
Something Bremont-ish (their cases are quite trick and very well machined. If you discount this just coz you hate on Tha Brand innit, then you've totally missed the point)
Railmaster maybe? If one can be had grey with a tasty discount
Sure, that Breitling. Not necessarily because of the limited utility of the slide rule, but because the engineering in those is insane:

Image
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 423
Joined: September 18th 2017, 5:35am

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Falstaff » April 18th 2018, 8:45am

Pubbie wrote:
Falstaff wrote:I think it may be a case of dad wanting to buy his boy a watch that he always admired for himself, so I'd be a little reluctant to suggest a substitute

This is similar to the tempation to recommend to people asking for a suitable engagement or anniversary gift to by a used (not vintage, used) watch. "That's what I'd buy for 2k" fine but it ignores the context. A used modern Seamaster with someone else's shit on is not going to get you remembered.

Having said that, given the recipient is an engineering major, something that appeals to the engineer would be great, such as

An IWC Ingenieur, with discount
Something Bremont-ish (their cases are quite trick and very well machined. If you discount this just coz you hate on Tha Brand innit, then you've totally missed the point)
Railmaster maybe? If one can be had grey with a tasty discount
Sure, that Breitling. Not necessarily because of the limited utility of the slide rule, but because the engineering in those is insane:

Image



I know the young fellow would like an IWC Top Gun Miramar and I'm quite fond of the Bremont ALT1-B - but alas, even with a discount, both of these are quite a bit more than Bro wants to spend.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6972
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Navitimer style

Postby Pubbie » April 19th 2018, 3:56am

Falstaff wrote:I know the young fellow would like an IWC Top Gun Miramar and I'm quite fond of the Bremont ALT1-B - but alas, even with a discount, both of these are quite a bit more than Bro wants to spend.

What about a regular Pilot XVIII? Easily in that price range, you don't get much for your money in terms of movement or dial but it's antimagnetic, and has a great bracelet. Well ingenieured.

Or a Sin 756 Diapal. If you can get past the clock-like dial it's full of tech. Depends how watch-y he is I suppose.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 423
Joined: September 18th 2017, 5:35am


Return to General Watch talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TemerityB and 6 guests