‘A Man and His Watch’

‘A Man and His Watch’

Postby koimaster » April 9th 2018, 4:40pm

Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona may be one of the world’s most coveted of timepieces, but a Timex Indiglo or a Sears Winnie the Pooh watch also can mean a great deal to their owners. For his book, “A Man and His Watch,” published by Artisan, the writer and magazine editor Matt Hranek talked with a cross section of men, from actors to NASA engineers, about how they connect with their watches. This interview was edited and condensed.

The book design is simple: close-up images of the watches on one page and the owners’ stories on another.
Photo

I just wanted people to dive into the richness of what the timepieces look like. We show all the history, patina and nuance of the watch, whether it’s dirt or crud or dings and scratches. It’s about the storytelling of the journey of the piece itself. Eric Ripert [the chef at Le Bernardin] has a big ding in the top left of his 1921 Vacheron Constantin. He wears that in the kitchen every day.

How did you choose your subjects?

It couldn’t just be the luxury brand groups. So I knew Atom Moore, who is this great character in the watch world, had this crazy collection of Keith Haring Swatches. But I also wanted a style icon like Ralph Lauren to represent the fashion world for me.

You also got Sylvester Stallone to discuss his Tiffany & Co. gold Rolex Submariner.

He trusted me with his story and with his watch. He just put it in a FedEx box and sent it to me. That made me very anxious when I got that watch.

Were there any brands you felt needed to be included?

For some reason, a lot of guys have Rolexes. But it didn’t matter to me what the brand was if it was a good story. There’s a blue Casio G-Shock that was on the wrist of this master indigo dyer named Kenta Watanabe. I went to his studio and he is blue up to his biceps. I asked him what the deal was with his beautiful indigo G-Shock and he says, “Oh, this used to be white.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/fash ... shock.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: ‘A Man and His Watch’

Postby foghorn » April 9th 2018, 5:50pm

Sometimes magazines and horological type author type book writer types try to make this hobby way more than it actually is. Just look at some thread titles at WUS.
Can't I just wear a particular watch because I like it and not have to have some deep connection to something or even a reason other than I got drunk one night and saw something on Watchrecon?

Jeebus

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 9th 2018, 6:05pm

Have the book. Excellent presentation and photography is phenomenal.

Haven't read any of the stories yet.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » April 9th 2018, 6:05pm

foghorn wrote:Sometimes magazines and horological type author type book writer types try to make this hobby way more than it actually is. Just look at some thread titles at WUS.
Can't I just wear a particular watch because I like it and not have to have some deep connection to something or even a reason other than I got drunk one night and saw something on Watchrecon?

Jeebus

No
smellody

Postby foghorn » April 9th 2018, 6:12pm

smellody wrote:
foghorn wrote:Sometimes magazines and horological type author type book writer types try to make this hobby way more than it actually is. Just look at some thread titles at WUS.

Jeebus

No

Well fuck it then.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn

Postby conjurer » April 9th 2018, 6:24pm

I'll wait for the Charles Ninetoes edition--A Gimp and His Wartchs.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » April 9th 2018, 6:39pm

foghorn wrote:
smellody wrote:

Jeebus

No

Well fuck it then.

I'm sorry foggy. You can like what you want.

I do what I want.
smellody

Postby artman » April 9th 2018, 10:01pm

My sister gifted me this for Christmas last year. Love it. Awesome pics. Good read.
artman
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 10th 2018, 7:16am

conjurer wrote:I'll wait for the Charles Ninetoes edition--A Gimp and His Wartchs.

I'll wait for the Lord God King of the Last Geeks edition: A Waddling Old Man, A Console TV, A 56" Reversible Belt, And 867 Reasons Why There's Not Enough Money In His Retirement Account.
I would rather be seen wearing an Invicta than a Hublot - at least I can explain away the Invicta.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » April 10th 2018, 3:32pm

TemerityB wrote:
conjurer wrote:I'll wait for the Charles Ninetoes edition--A Gimp and His Wartchs.

I'll wait for the Lord God King of the Last Geeks edition: A Waddling Old Man, A Console TV, A 56" Reversible Belt, And 867 Reasons Why There's Not Enough Money In His Retirement Account.

best book ever

"the truth about watches"
By Eyal Lalo

photos by shillster
Captions by shyster

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder