Definitive Baselworld 2018 Round-Up

Definitive Baselworld 2018 Round-Up

Postby koimaster » April 8th 2018, 10:40am

WatchTime’s editorial team spent 315 hours on the ground in Basel, visited 138 brands (50 of which have already been covered here), and is now working on the Baselworld special for one of the upcoming issues of WatchTime magazine. Until then, we’re certain you will appreciate a slightly more personal selection of some of this year’s highlights.

Participating editors: Logan R. Baker (LRB), Mark Bernardo (MB) and Roger Ruegger (RR).

What was this year’s most unexpected release for you?

RR: The Bulgari Octo Finissimo Tourbillon Automatic. Not so much because of the watch itself (after all, Bulgari has already broken several thinness records in the last four years and the design is well established), but because of the timing: In March 2017, Bulgari launched the thinnest automatic wristwatch, in December 2017 the title went to Piaget, and now team Bulgari scored again. For me, that’s as close to watching a horological soccer game as possible. Speaking of which: Hublot’s smartwatch for World Cup Referees also came as a surprise, as well as the new “Autobahn” from Nomos.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/base ... s-roundup/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Definitive Baselworld 2018 Round-Up

Postby foghorn » April 8th 2018, 11:08am

Winner,winner,chicken dinner...

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby spanky1 » April 8th 2018, 11:20am

The Citizen is speaking to me.
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 8th 2018, 12:21pm

Here's what I think of these novelties:

1. Bulgari tourbillon - Ozymandianly ghey, blows flaccid lingam.
2. Everything Whoblows - it blows.
3. Nomos Autobahn - Wagnerianly ghey.
4. Tudor BB GMT - erection-inducing.
5. Angelus diver tourbillon - Wagnerianly ghey.
6. Bulova reissue - nice, but too big.
7. Seiko SJE073 - erection-inducing.
8. Doxa Divingstar - who the fuck cares about another bastard child of the Jennies and Rick Marei?
9. Tissot Seastar - OK
10. Longines LLD black - pointless, if not slightly ghey.
11. Mido Baroncelli Trilogy - boring.
12. Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical - erection-inducing.
13. Omega Seamaster 1948 - beyond erection-inducing.
14. CFB Manero tourbillon - ghey.
15. Rolex GMT-Master II "Pepsi" - OK, but the lugs are still too fat.
16. Bulgari Octo Automatic in gold - Wagnerianly ghey.
17. Chopard All-In-One - tourbillon, nope.
18. Zenith Defy - with a normal dial, it's cool. The skeleton version is ghey.
19. Zenith Pilot in bronze - it's bronze, so little do I care about it.
20. Zenith Defy El Primero "Swiss Beatz" - Ozymandianly ghey.
21. Breitling Navitimer Super 8 - too big and boring.
22. Blancpain FF 1970s - nice.
23. Seiko 6159 re-issue - they've got to be kidding with the price of that, and it's a limited edition, so fuck it in the ear.
24. Oris Aquis chrono - silly lugs not intended for a civilized strap to fit, fuck it in the ear.
25. Citizen Bullhead - nice, but another piece with silly lugs, fuck it in the ear.
26. TH Carrera cal. 16 - not erection-inducing, but really nice.
27. Muhle ProMare - good, but more boring than a Jane-fucking-Austen novel.
28. Tutima M2 - much like the slightly boring GP Laureato, only more boring.
29. Breguet and Blancpain tourbillons - tourbillons, and that's a nope.
30. PP Nautilus QP - PP's milking one of Genta's most unexciting designs, boring, boring, fuck off.
31. Rolex GMT-Master two-tone and Everose "Root Beer" - the lugs are too fat, but it's cool.
32. H. Moser Alp Watch Repeater Tourbillon - Wagnerianly ghey.
33. Romain Gauthier Insight something-something - Ozymandianly ghey.
34. Some blingy G-Schlocks - Ozymandianly ghey.
35. TH Monaco Bamford - between Wagnerianly and Ozymandianly ghey, like all the Bamford shite.
36. Certina DS PH200M - erection-inducing.

12 out of 36 watches in the article are ghey, which means that 33% of their round-up of Baselworld novelties is ghey.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 8th 2018, 1:20pm

foghorn wrote:Image

meh
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » April 8th 2018, 7:26pm

15 and 31 are cool
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby svaglic » April 8th 2018, 10:29pm

7-Seiko, 13-Omega, 22-Blancpain and 36-Certina are beyond nice.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » April 9th 2018, 1:33am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:1. Bulgari tourbillon - Ozymandianly ghey, blows flaccid lingam.
2. Everything Whoblows - it blows.
3. Nomos Autobahn - Wagnerianly ghey.
4. Tudor BB GMT - erection-inducing.
5. Angelus diver tourbillon - Wagnerianly ghey.
6. Bulova reissue - nice, but too big.
7. Seiko SJE073 - erection-inducing.
8. Doxa Divingstar - who the fuck cares about another bastard child of the Jennies and Rick Marei?
9. Tissot Seastar - OK
10. Longines LLD black - pointless, if not slightly ghey.

There is a Longines "skin diver" too, but my, it's ugly.
11. Mido Baroncelli Trilogy - boring.
12. Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical - erection-inducing.
13. Omega Seamaster 1948 - beyond erection-inducing.

Although amusingly, one of them has hands that can't reach where they're supposed to!
14. CFB Manero tourbillon - ghey.
15. Rolex GMT-Master II "Pepsi" - OK, but the lugs are still too fat.

The bleating over waitlists, warranty cards and "clients" makes me blow chow. Nothing is worth that.
16. Bulgari Octo Automatic in gold - Wagnerianly ghey.
17. Chopard All-In-One - tourbillon, nope.

Why the fuck did they name a watch after a printer?
18. Zenith Defy - with a normal dial, it's cool. The skeleton version is ghey.
19. Zenith Pilot in bronze - it's bronze, so little do I care about it.
20. Zenith Defy El Primero "Swiss Beatz" - Ozymandianly ghey.
21. Breitling Navitimer Super 8 - too big and boring.

I also think it's bland and me-too but Breitling can't win. They make busy, moderate and bland and people just don't like the company whatever they do (a bit like TAG) whereas for the most part, Tudor makes watch nerds wank themselves off furiously inside their pockets.
22. Blancpain FF 1970s - nice.
23. Seiko 6159 re-issue - they've got to be kidding with the price of that, and it's a limited edition, so fuck it in the ear.
24. Oris Aquis chrono - silly lugs not intended for a civilized strap to fit, fuck it in the ear.
25. Citizen Bullhead - nice, but another piece with silly lugs, fuck it in the ear.
26. TH Carrera cal. 16 - not erection-inducing, but really nice.
27. Muhle ProMare - good, but more boring than a Jane-fucking-Austen novel.
28. Tutima M2 - much like the slightly boring GP Laureato, only more boring.
29. Breguet and Blancpain tourbillons - tourbillons, and that's a nope.
30. PP Nautilus QP - PP's milking one of Genta's most unexciting designs, boring, boring, fuck off.
31. Rolex GMT-Master two-tone and Everose "Root Beer" - the lugs are too fat, but it's cool.
32. H. Moser Alp Watch Repeater Tourbillon - Wagnerianly ghey.
33. Romain Gauthier Insight something-something - Ozymandianly ghey.
34. Some blingy G-Schlocks - Ozymandianly ghey.
35. TH Monaco Bamford - between Wagnerianly and Ozymandianly ghey, like all the Bamford shite.
36. Certina DS PH200M - erection-inducing.

I like the Certina, but it's too big for its proportions, and being a Certina, will have 21mm lugs which is as ghey as Christmas.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 9th 2018, 10:42am

Pubbie wrote:There is a Longines "skin diver" too, but my, it's ugly.

Not as bad as the black LLD. I mean, the black LLD is completely not in line with what reissues are supposed to be. Besides, the black case just doesn't look good with the LLD's design.

Pubbie wrote:Although amusingly, one of them has hands that can't reach where they're supposed to!

Which one? If you mean the sweep second version of the Omega Seamaster 1948, the minute track is at the inner ends of the hour markers, but the hands are not too short.

Pubbie wrote:The bleating over waitlists, warranty cards and "clients" makes me blow chow. Nothing is worth that.

I don't know who at Rolex got the "fantastic" idea of creating false rarity and causing massive queues, but they deserve a Cabriole table leg up their arses, tuberculosis, the clap, getting keelhauled, and a special rung in hell just for them.

Pubbie wrote:Why the fuck did they name a watch after a printer?

"Oi! Fritz! You were supposed to come up with a name for our new turdbillion before lunch!"
"Jawohl, just a moment! Where the fuck's my Hewlett-Packard catalogue? They won't notice if I filch a name or two from there..."

Pubbie wrote:I also think it's bland and me-too but Breitling can't win. They make busy, moderate and bland and people just don't like the company whatever they do (a bit like TAG) whereas for the most part, Tudor makes watch nerds wank themselves off furiously inside their pockets.

Tudor manages to cater to multiple target groups. Reissues? There you go. Amalgamations of desirable features? They've got it. Slightly idiotic stuff? They have that covered. Decent tool watches? It's there. Wagnerianly or Ozymandianly ghey stuff? It's there.
Breitling, meanwhile, focuses mainly on tending to customers fond of casual and often uninspired bling, with colossal wrists, and - looking at some of their designs - in an advanced stage of the short sausage complex. Instead of making more watches for the average person (with a design that's not stuck in the 1980s), they came up with the Breitling for Bentley brand, which added a new target group, that being rich kids with an IQ of roughly 70-80 points and a ton of hair gel on their heads, as well as middle-aged to elderly Russian businessmen with their own yachts and Bentleys (and likely an erectile dysfunction).
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » April 9th 2018, 10:57am

Doxa Divingstar - who the fuck cares about another bastard child of the Jennies and Rick Marei?

Sig material for a doxa fanboi

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Pubbie » April 10th 2018, 3:13am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Which one? If you mean the sweep second version of the Omega Seamaster 1948, the minute track is at the inner ends of the hour markers, but the hands are not too short.

The minute track could be in outer space, it doesn't matter. Taking the dial as a whole, the hands are too short and look gash. The original below is still a bit stubby, but better as the minute track is proportionally further out from the centre of the dial and the hour hand isn't sized like a micropenis :-D

Hey, people bag the fuck on Rolex for fitting a hand that's too short so to the extent I care, it's open season on Omega. And at least I'm not calling the wearer a twat or a cunt.
Tudor manages to cater to multiple target groups. Reissues? There you go. Amalgamations of desirable features? They've got it. Slightly idiotic stuff? They have that covered. Decent tool watches? It's there. Wagnerianly or Ozymandianly ghey stuff? It's there.

So does Breitling - you just don't like 'em ;)
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » April 10th 2018, 4:18am

codguy wrote:
foghorn wrote:Image

meh

I'm envisioning looking at that dial while under the influence of nitrogen narcosis. Puking through a regulator is tits. Fishies love the chum.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 10th 2018, 10:28am

Pubbie wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Which one? If you mean the sweep second version of the Omega Seamaster 1948, the minute track is at the inner ends of the hour markers, but the hands are not too short.

The minute track could be in outer space, it doesn't matter. Taking the dial as a whole, the hands are too short and look gash. The original below is still a bit stubby, but better as the minute track is proportionally further out from the centre of the dial and the hour hand isn't sized like a micropenis :-D

Hey, people bag the fuck on Rolex for fitting a hand that's too short so to the extent I care, it's open season on Omega. And at least I'm not calling the wearer a twat or a cunt.

So does Breitling - you just don't like 'em ;)

For what it's worth, I've bashed Omega more than a few times - in the last few years, they had a ton of ghastly designs.

As to Breitling, it looks like they started to care more about making their offer a bit more reasonable. It will likely take them a long time to improve, but this year they have introduced a de-blinged Chronomat, and made some changes to the basic Navitimer, making its dial less busy and closer to its original tool watch nature. I mean, with the "wings" on the dial and the case back that it used to have, it was slightly idiotic. All in all, it's not like I hate them. I simply think that in the last three decades, they have flushed a lot of their heritage down the drain.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » April 11th 2018, 6:51am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As to Breitling, it looks like they started to care more about making their offer a bit more reasonable. It will likely take them a long time to improve, but this year they have introduced a de-blinged Chronomat, and made some changes to the basic Navitimer, making its dial less busy and closer to its original tool watch nature. I mean, with the "wings" on the dial and the case back that it used to have, it was slightly idiotic. All in all, it's not like I hate them. I simply think that in the last three decades, they have flushed a lot of their heritage down the drain.

I agree on the casebacks, but I don't get the retrospective criticsm of the old logo, which lasted nearly 40 years. Barely got a mention before, then Kern comes along and says it's toast! All I can rmember is that it was a bit too similar to Rotary and Longines.

As a diversion here's an old jumbo Navitimer with the 1950s/60s wings-only logo:

And the 2006-odd Chrono-Matic reissue with the old B wheeled out for logo use:

Not all bad. But the 2005 engorgement of the Chronomat, the stupid big dive watches with their increasingly paltry WR (17mm thick? 200m? Winning) and supersize Nativimers all conspired to turn me off too. Ah well, can't please everyone.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk