What influences you when buying a watch?

What influences you when buying a watch?

Postby koimaster » April 4th 2018, 4:17pm

In my case I do my research if I find a watch that I think looks interesting to me. Of course there is the occasional slip up such as recently looking at Mark and his Hammy. Liked it so much I purchased one the next week. :roll:

It is because it has value payz, movement, heritage, looks good on your girly like or ham sized wrist or does price drive you and it looks like someone may grab your wrist to tell you how great it looks?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: What influences you when buying a watch?

Postby biglove » April 4th 2018, 4:32pm

Style, size and price. Oh, and how much I can afford at that moment.

And bracelets. Quality bracelets.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 4th 2018, 4:43pm

Hmmmm...what influences me when buying a watch...hmmm...let me think...
1. The fact of it being vintage. Although since I am considering a contemporary one, it's not really something that disqualifies a watch from being bought by me.
2. Simple, erection-inducing looks. 1970s sort of funky is OK, if it's not the knitted tank-top sort of kitschy.
3. Decent movement - pin-levers not welcome. Soviet sort of industrial finishing is OK, if the reliability and performance compensate for it.
4. Potential. If it looks wrecked, I'll buy it only if there is a decent watch hiding under the filth on the case and the knackered crystal. Oh, and any trace of rust or water damage on the movement is a no-no.
5. Case not plated. Although that's what I told myself every time I've been hunting for watches, and somehow more than a few plated pieces made it to my collection. Ummm, well, talk about sticking to principles.
6. Dial not trashed. Otherwise - no, just, no. The 1947 Tissot had me learn that the hard way.
7. Not boring. If it's bland or boring the very first time I look at it, later on it will be boring all the same.
8. Not tampered with. "600 for this one, I had it replated, I invested in it", says the geezer at the flea market stall. No, he bloody didn't, the wanker and his "investment" can fuck off back to the madhouse.
9. If contemporary, not a fashion brand. No, I won't wear a watch signed by a brand, the name of which appears on the underwear of some ghey fashionista, and sticks out right above the Ozymandianly ghey skinny pants.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » April 4th 2018, 5:05pm

I see watches as equipment first. They have to do their core function well, be reliable, reasonable cost-wise, once that is happening its all about the looks.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » April 4th 2018, 5:15pm

If it looks good I check the size (I prefer 40mm or below, but can deal with a 42 on some styles) then the movement and then the cost.
If I hear about a good movement then I look for one with a dial I like then the size.

Some recent purchase examples.
The Dan Henry; It looked good, size was 40mm, it had a decent movement and was priced right.

The Seaspider Yema; I wanted another version of the 4s15 movement, it had a killer dial, it was a 42mm with short lugs and I found one at a good price.

The Bulova astronaut; I wanted a UHF movement from Bulova, a lot of them were ugly though. I tried a few that looked decent, but they were too big, I saw the astronaut and got lucky that it fit ok.

In vintage I look for brands I don't have, movements I don't have and I try to find one with a textured dial. If I can't find one with a textured dial I look for a nice looking dial.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » April 4th 2018, 5:18pm

My wife. If she likes it and says "yes" it's like winning the lottery.
artman
Master of Time

Postby 32771 » April 4th 2018, 5:21pm

Lately for me it's what "look" I currently do not have in my collection. Meaning what is the dial color, band, case size and shape, etc. I do have a wish list though and when the time is right I'll pull the trigger.
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » April 4th 2018, 5:22pm

Booze

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby smellody » April 4th 2018, 5:45pm

GOLD!!!! RECOGNITION!!!! WHAT THE OTHER COOL KIDS ARE WEARING
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » April 4th 2018, 6:00pm

Tradition. Properness.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 4th 2018, 8:30pm

My tastes - and criteria - have been all over the map since I got into this hobby in a more serious fashion about 10 years ago. At first, I was into nothing but dress watches, but then about five years ago or so the diver bug hit me sorta kinda like it hits everyone else.

As for my "influences" these days, well, y'all know me - I am quite happy with the tried and true and consider Kickstarter crud to be a blight on the landscape. There are absolutely no outside influences on my tastes or perceived requirements, not TV, not magazines, not dumb ass YouTube reviewers, and nothing anyone here says, to be honest. I like what I like, and I tend to pare everything down to the simple nuts and bolts: It's the style of a watch first, preferably with a sapphire crystal, around 40mm, stainless steel case, packing a movement (preferably automatic) that can be fixed at either my jeweler or somewhere locally, which puts me smack into ETA land most of the time. I wish I was a bit richer so I could delve into some of the watches that really send me (such as recent models by H Moser, Mortiz Grossman, JLC, etc) but dame fortune hasn't smiled upon me with lavish sums of liquid cash all that often. I save my pennies and do my best with what I have. Again, all me Mr. Jejune: I'm quite happy with Rolex and Omega being the perceived "best watches" in a collection where in my heart of hearts I believe I have Edox, Eterna, and Hamilton watches that are every bit as worthy. And I consider stuff like Atlantic, Roamer, and Zeno to be smart buys, because they're good watches that have held up great.

An offshoot of buying a bunch of inexpensive watches when I started this hobby is that I absolutely enjoy tinkering with them - doing battery changes, swapping out straps and bracelets, keeping even the cheapest old stuff running. I'm no jeweler, but I get off on knowing I can keep an old quartz running for a total cost of around 75 cents instead of spending anywhere from 10 to 40 dollars on a battery change.

Right now, I'm not even in the market for anything - I do hope to make one more large acquisition before tapering off - but like many of us, I do have a tendency to impulse buy at retail - but when I see a Nordstrom Rack or a place like that practically giving a decent watch away, sure, I'll jump. Look at it this way: I picked up a Victorinox Swiss Army Chrono Classic, a Bulova UHF quartz Sea King, and an Edox quartz dress watch for less than $270 combined. Not to mention a couple of decent Tissot for half list when Kenjo waved bye-bye. So, sure, price is an influence - less so with something I really crave, but show me a decent quality $900 watch that I can buy for $79, and why the heck not?
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » April 4th 2018, 8:41pm

For me it's the brand ambassadors and perceived prestige.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » April 4th 2018, 8:43pm

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 4th 2018, 10:43pm

foghorn wrote:Booze

+1.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » April 4th 2018, 11:56pm

First, it's the looks of it. If I like the look and the size and price are reasonable I'll likely buy it. Another consideration would be that it is somehow different in some way than other watches I already have. For instance one of my favorite watches is a Damasko. I would love to buy more of their watches but they don't have an awful lot of variety in their model line. Booze also comes into play from time to time.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Pubbie » April 5th 2018, 7:29am

It should be the looks and reputation for solidity. In reality, as with others the evil drink can often play a part, and hankering for the old days which explains why I have owned a lot of old-fashioned looking watches.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » April 5th 2018, 7:56am

A must have! Too bad they pulled it.

Racer-X wrote:
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby relaxer7 » April 5th 2018, 8:02am

Brand, size, price, is it different to the rest of my watches?
relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 5th 2018, 8:18am

If I see a wartche that sings to me (i.e., gives me a boner), and I have the funds, I pull the trigger on that bad boi, and wear it in good health!
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » April 5th 2018, 8:45am

conjurer wrote:If I see a wartche that sings to me (i.e., gives me a boner), and I have the funds, I pull the trigger on that bad boi, and wear it in good health!

Yup, the boner test - the gold standard of watch choice. Works for me.
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » April 5th 2018, 10:04am

conjurer wrote:If I see a wartche that sings to me (i.e., gives me a boner), and I have the funds, I pull the trigger on that bad boi, and wear it in good health!

Ah but do you need to "release" any from your "personal collection" "into the wild", perhaps because you're "not bonding", so that you can "secure" the right "funds" and "acquire" a "grail" from "your AD"? :-D

If someone could register a natural-language generator as a user on one of the other shit watch sites... I swear to fuck no-one would notice for the first six months. There are already bots on WUS, put there by SwatchCo.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MAX » April 5th 2018, 10:06am

I knew what Foggy was going to say.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby codguy » April 5th 2018, 5:04pm

The current cost of batteries.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » April 5th 2018, 9:30pm

codguy wrote:The current cost of batteries.

That's just brilliant. :lol:
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk