HOW TO BUILD A WATCH COLLECTION

HOW TO BUILD A WATCH COLLECTION

Postby koimaster » February 28th 2018, 10:59pm

So you’ve been bitten by the watch collecting bug. What now?

It’s time to start building your collection bit by bit, watch by watch. But choosing which watch to invest in next can be surprisingly tricky if you’re trying to be selective about what goes in to—and what stays out of—your watch collection.

Here are ways to structure and focus your watch collection so each model you pick and choose enhances the financial and intrinsic value of your overall collection.

https://www.truefacet.com/guide/build-watch-collection/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: HOW TO BUILD A WATCH COLLECTION

Postby foghorn » March 1st 2018, 6:01am

"Here are ways to structure and focus your watch collection so each model you pick and choose enhances the financial and intrinsic value of your overall collection."

I've been collecting (accumulating) watches for nearly 50 years and not for even 1 second did I consider enhancing the financial and intrinsic value of my watches.

I just might have to give that whole cabriole table leg thing a try.

FFS

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » March 1st 2018, 12:42pm

Don't go into rant mode, don't go into rant mode, count to 10, calm down...No, no, I bloody won't stop myself. The game's afoot! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge...

Here are ways to structure and focus your watch collection so each model you pick and choose enhances the financial and intrinsic value of your overall collection.

How about no? No, watches are not a bloody investment?
Besides, here's a clue to enjoying the hobby and being happy about watches you own: don't give a flying fuck about the monetary value, and leave boasting about the value to the Donkeys and other pretentious wee quims, who really need to compensate for their wee pricks with showing off just how much have they spent on that franken at Shillips or some other fleecers' den.

1. Zero in on a specific watch brand.

No. The moment you "zero in" on a brand, is the moment you lose perspective. Being fond of a brand is OK, so is having the majority of the collection consisting of watches from one brand. But this, this is just pushing one take on things as a dogma.

2. Pick a specific type of watch.

WTF?! Go shove a cactus up yours, TruePillock. Buy what you like, if it's radically different from what you own, it only can make the collection more eclectic. I know, this doesn't sound like I have a slight obsessive-compulsive personality that I do happen to have, but the point is, that everything's better when it's seasoned with a pinch of chaos.

To narrow the range of potential watches, some collectors will edit out watches based upon a preferred case size or material. Once you identify your preferred case size (say 41mm), that can act as a filter and pull larger or smaller watches out of the running.

Ummm, no, amazingly nothing in this short passage makes any sense. Caring too much about the diameter as the sole determinant is misleading, borderline debilitating. The proportions, the lug-to-lug measurement and the weight distribution are the things to care about.

4. Invest in vintage watches only.

Good, send some more people right into the welcoming arms of the Donkeys and other charlatans, they'll absolutely love some more people to fleece - ideally, those who believe that it's an investment. No, Mr. Hipster, it's not like the bottomless trust fund that Mum left to you.

if you’re still shopping for your collection’s inaugural timepiece, read our post “5 Watches Every Beginning Collector Must Own” here.

Oh, I've read it, and it sucks flaccid lingam.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » March 1st 2018, 12:53pm

I love a good MK rant and that was a dandy. Nicely done.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » March 1st 2018, 3:07pm

I chose this hobby because it burns money slower than crackcrack.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » March 1st 2018, 3:09pm

This hobby chose me.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 1st 2018, 3:53pm

foghorn wrote:I just might have to give that whole cabriole table leg thing a try.

FFS

Well said, foggy!

For WISs who have finally decided that lame-ass watch blogs (as well as stupid microbrands, silly FS threads, and nutty Geekish posts) lead to such a sense of nihilism (or ennui, if I may be so bold) that only a Cabriole table leg hammered up one's ass is the answer, I would suggest the following:

http://www.hardenfurniture.com/Furnitur ... ables.aspx

From fine furniture maker Harden (insert joke here), a fifth generation company based in McConnellsville, New York, the model 627 dining table is the ticket. Made from solid cherry, this baby has not one, but four Cabriole table legs one can hammer up one's fucking ass. With nice, clean lines and a modern take on the traditional Cabriole table leg, it can be appreciated by both the novice as well as the seasoned Cabriole-leg-hammered-up-the-fucking-ass WIS. I myself prefer a more Georgian, or even Federal, design, as the extra scroll-work really tears up the rectal tissue, but the more modern 627 is a great way to go.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » March 1st 2018, 5:44pm

Watches as an investment. Ok, sure. Show me how these watches are going to average better than what my 401K is pulling or even the 7.5% the stock market has averaged since inception.

Who fucking writes these articles laden with such large buffalo chips? Who believes these hipster authors? FMHHINAA!
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » March 1st 2018, 5:54pm

There are people at the top of the food chain whose watches will gain value. But in 20 yrs this will prolly hold true for PP still but who knows about MB&F, I hope they are worth a freaking nickel.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » March 1st 2018, 5:56pm

Fuck, too much thinking and stupidity there... I do some research and then I just buy what I like and enjoy what I buy. If I don't like it I sell it and move on.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » March 1st 2018, 5:59pm

Fuck MB&F and their fucking "Horological Machines"

Useless toys for clueless millionaires.

I loathe them more than non quick set dates.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 1st 2018, 8:54pm

I like my watches, work hard for my money, and try to choose wisely. That's about as much thought as I want to give this hobby, and I am seriously into it.

I don't flip, scheme, eBay, "invest," worry about what others think of the watch on my wrist, or get all worked up about anything at all. I'm having fun, and it's one of the few things in my life these days where I can say I haven't regretted a moment of it. So let my try my luck at writing a similar article:

How To Build A Watch Collection

Buy some watches.

Fin
"I think I'll write a letter to Walt Disney tonight." - Ed Norton, banging on his non-working watch.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » March 1st 2018, 9:29pm

The decisions and thoughts I made in my watch collection resembled a squirrel crossing a road. I'm all over the map and don't really care, I'm happy.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » March 1st 2018, 9:46pm

I'm doing ok....but have deviated from #4.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby kevco » March 2nd 2018, 5:47am

AntFarm wrote:Fuck, too much thinking and stupidity there... I do some research and then I just buy what I like and enjoy what I buy. If I don't like it I sell it and move on.

Couldn't have said it any better.
kevco
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk