Great, or garbage?

Great, or garbage?

Postby Pubbie » February 19th 2018, 8:25am

Certina seems to have a few fans on this here forum, so here’s a new watch (wait, wArtche) that I picked up on the cheap. Feel free to say if you think it’s hot-diggety, or horseshit!

Why it’s great

Flawless dial. No dust. Everything lines up. Something a few luxo manufacturers can’t manage
Sapphire crystal. Sure, it’s thin, but it won’t scratch
Its quartz movement may be the sort of cheap, no-soul disposability that makes a pile o’WIS blow their chow, but it’s accurate to a second a day and hits every mark every time
100m WR. No screw-down crown but Certina is/was well known for this, and the minute I pulled it from the package I dunked it for 5 min to make sure it held up (and videoed it). No problems
Bracelet (removed until I can size it) comes with two half-links already fitted. Own an Omega, you have to suck their oiled boutique cock and pay them hundreds for a half-link

Why it’s garbage

Well despite what it says it’s probably not really Swiss is it?
The whole thing is too thin. Wearing it, looks like I’ve painted it on. It needs to be 10mm thick, not 7.5mm
A bit oversized for the style. 38-39mm would have been better. Can look a bit gormless
21mm lugs. Jesus Christ
Bracelet has solid links, but it’s a bit thin
LOOM fades away quickly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Great, or garbage?

Postby gerdson » February 19th 2018, 8:51am

The concept of a plus 40mm dress watch is lost on me. But apart from that, a thin watch is nice when wearing a suit and a properly sized shirt.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » February 19th 2018, 8:55am

Well, Mr. Pubbie, since you've already bought the thing, it would be a pretty bad exception to WLs form to lambast it (unless it's an Invicter or something like that.)

Certina's OK by me; it's a real brand (I believe owned by Swatch) that puts out an honest product. While not really my style at all, I can find no fault with it, and it looks pretty good.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » February 19th 2018, 9:06am

Well if it does what it's supposed to which it apparently does I'm not seeing much to object about.

It's as Swiss as it needs to be. Meaning there's probably some non-Swiss stuff but they play by the rules and it's enough to get the Swiss FH's blessing.

I believe the Certina is properly called a "watch". Wartches are typically oversized, often vulgar, claimed to bring you "luxury quality at low cost", employ things like "surgical grade" stainless steel, "alligator embossed genuine leather" straps, a trademarked crystal of dubous quality, are never discounted less than 80% and all dial markings specifically including water resistance and country of origin should be considered aspirational (or simply "bullshit" if you're not into euphemisms). Your watch is none of those things.

I rather like it.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » February 19th 2018, 9:27am

Hot-Diggety

I don't see any of your "garbage" points qualifying it as garbage.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Pubbie » February 19th 2018, 9:54am

conjurer wrote:Well, Mr. Pubbie, since you've already bought the thing, it would be a pretty bad exception to WLs form to lambast it (unless it's an Invicter or something like that.)

Ah, it's not my design; constructive criticism and opinion is OK!

But yes, if it was an Inflicta, then of course one must pile on.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » February 19th 2018, 9:58am

Hawk wrote:I believe the Certina is properly called a "watch". Wartches are typically oversized, often vulgar, claimed to bring you "luxury quality at low cost", employ things like "surgical grade" stainless steel, "alligator embossed genuine leather" straps, a trademarked crystal of dubous quality, are never discounted less than 80% and all dial markings specifically including water resistance and country of origin should be considered aspirational (or simply "bullshit" if you're not into euphemisms). Your watch is none of those things.

I genuinely didn't know that was the distinction. Noted!

Because it's 40mm wide and rather flat, it's got this Daniel Wellington vibe to it, which is the aspect I am not keen on. But unlike practically everything else I own, this new one goes under a cuff when I need it to, and so far keeps time within a second on the days I don't. So happy days.

Seriously though, what is it with 21mm lugs? I was expecting to fit a decent leather strap for the winter, but it looks shit, and the only thing I had lying around that more or less filled the gap was this slightly preppy NATO.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » February 19th 2018, 10:01am

Watch is nice, nato strap...... not so much.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » February 19th 2018, 10:36am

Pubbie wrote:
Hawk wrote:I believe the Certina is properly called a "watch". Wartches are typically oversized, often vulgar, claimed to bring you "luxury quality at low cost", employ things like "surgical grade" stainless steel, "alligator embossed genuine leather" straps, a trademarked crystal of dubous quality, are never discounted less than 80% and all dial markings specifically including water resistance and country of origin should be considered aspirational (or simply "bullshit" if you're not into euphemisms). Your watch is none of those things.

I genuinely didn't know that was the distinction. Noted!

Because it's 40mm wide and rather flat, it's got this Daniel Wellington vibe to it, which is the aspect I am not keen on. But unlike practically everything else I own, this new one goes under a cuff when I need it to, and so far keeps time within a second on the days I don't. So happy days.

Seriously though, what is it with 21mm lugs? I was expecting to fit a decent leather strap for the winter, but it looks shit, and the only thing I had lying around that more or less filled the gap was this slightly preppy NATO.

While 21mm is a slightly unusual lug size, it isn't all that rare. There are plenty of aftermarket strap makers who offer 21mm. Also, since this watch was offered with a bracelet, that's probably what the vast majority of buyers would go with, so as far as Certina is concerned, it really isn't much of an issue.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » February 19th 2018, 12:02pm

Hawk wrote:Wartches are typically oversized, often vulgar, claimed to bring you "luxury quality at low cost", employ things like "surgical grade" stainless steel, "alligator embossed genuine leather" straps, a trademarked crystal of dubous quality, are never discounted less than 80% and all dial markings specifically including water resistance and country of origin should be considered aspirational (or simply "bullshit" if you're not into euphemisms).

And let us not forget: The "manufacturer" usually also has been in the "watch business" since about, oh, 1837 for thereabouts, even though the brand name was simply purchased on the cheap like a day-old loaf of sourdough.
A tale of six Seikos (two Kinetics, two autos, two Solar): FIVE of them have disintegrated, three while being stored. Please, explain to me that whole "bang for the buck" thing again.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » February 19th 2018, 1:13pm

I like that a lot, even on the nato. Nice pickup.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » February 19th 2018, 2:39pm

Certina is Swatch group quality which is solid. I've been very satisfied at quality of my Tissots and Certina being in the similar placement should be as good if not better (just less well known in US). I myself considered getting one of their DS action watches.
PiningforElgin

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 19th 2018, 4:38pm

The watch itself is really nice. 21mm lugs, well... Technically, I find odd lug sizes just about the most fucking annoying feature that any manufacturer can do, but just as most of them did that back in the day, a lot of them still do. I wouldn't be so sure about plenty of strap manufacturers making straps in odd sizes - frankly, the choice of straps in widths like 17, 19 or 21mm is beyond shitty.

As to the lume - theoretically, the Swatch Group uses Super-LumiNova for just about everything, but I don't think it would be just a badly founded suspicion to say that on purpose they use a more shitty grade of it for their entry level brands. I mean, Omegas tend to glow like a fucking torch, and the lume in anything made by brands below Longines in their hierarchy tends to fade out in a time much shorter than it takes to say "By Jove, is that lume fucking weak!" Stingy twats, the SG.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » February 19th 2018, 5:10pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As to the lume - theoretically, the Swatch Group uses Super-LumiNova for just about everything, but I don't think it would be just a badly founded suspicion to say that on purpose they use a more shitty grade of it for their entry level brands.

It's a nice colour, but thinly applied. I think I'll keep it, it's got a '50s ish simplicity to it despite being about twice the size of an actual 1950s watch. Thanks for the comments one and all...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » February 19th 2018, 6:45pm

Currently own three Certina watches with one up for sale as the green seconds hand is just not for me.

The other two I absolutely love and at grey market, they have both been a no brainer.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » February 19th 2018, 9:55pm

Great watch. I'm more than happy at 40mm though
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 20th 2018, 7:50am

Pubbie wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:As to the lume - theoretically, the Swatch Group uses Super-LumiNova for just about everything, but I don't think it would be just a badly founded suspicion to say that on purpose they use a more shitty grade of it for their entry level brands.

It's a nice colour, but thinly applied. I think I'll keep it, it's got a '50s ish simplicity to it despite being about twice the size of an actual 1950s watch. Thanks for the comments one and all...

By all means keep it, I'm not suggesting anything else, as the watch looks really great, and a Certina is pretty much never a bad choice.
Given the design of the hands and hour markers, I'd say it just screams 1960s, rather than 1950s.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » February 26th 2018, 3:02pm

Wearing this non stop the last few days. Size is OK now, it's full-sized but not soup dish. Looks a million dollars - or at least a few hundred - on a charcoal embossed strap. Don't need a JLC now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » February 26th 2018, 3:25pm

Looks even better in leather shoes!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » February 26th 2018, 7:42pm

artman wrote:Looks even better in leather shoes!

I concur.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk