Towards A New Nomenclature For Watch Brands

Towards A New Nomenclature For Watch Brands

Postby koimaster » January 26th 2018, 4:53pm

Why do we watchnerds employ particular terms to describe watch brands? Habit – that’s the only reason. We’re accustomed to specific terms and we unthinkingly stick to them; like using a certain brand of toothpaste or laundry detergent.

For example the term ‘independent’ is used to describe brands such as F.P. Journe, Roger Smith, Greubel Forsey and Vianney Halter. Aren’t Patek Philippe and Rolex independent? What about Audemars Piguet, H. Moser, MB&F, Hermes, Chopard, Ressence, HYT, Moritz Grossman – aren’t they all independent? None of them are part of a group. We rarely position the adjective, independent in front of those brands and yet independent they all are.

As well as the sin of laziness (another word for habit in this instance) we should confess to the offense of imprecision which is truly unforgivable considering that people obsessed with precision create the objects of our obsession. We frequently write or say something like Lange is a big group brand or Lange is part of a group. Okay, Lange is part of a group but Lange’s approach to watchmaking is different from that of IWC or Baume et Mercier – both stable mates in the same big group. Saying Lange is part of a group is like labelling Ferrari, which is owned by Fiat or the Volkswagen owned Bentley as big group brands. Do gearheads utilise such sloppy terminology – no, never. They depend on terms that are both descriptive and accurate. Ferrari is a supercar brand. Bentley is a luxury sports car brand.

http://michaelclerizo.com/2018/01/25/to ... ch-brands/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Towards A New Nomenclature For Watch Brands

Postby foghorn » January 26th 2018, 5:24pm

Thanks to Michael Clerizo for a monumental waste of his and everyone who reads this shits time. Who the fuck cares?? But I do have a separate "nomenclature" for MB&F.
MB&F should fall under the "Butt fucking ugly over designed garish stupid technologically advanced and totally useless for anything but a butt plug for some uber rich clueless motherfucker who thinks it's cool to drop major coin on the most expensive version of the "Mr. Machine" toy from the 60's ever made and only assholes would wear one" category.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » January 26th 2018, 8:44pm

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 26th 2018, 9:03pm

foghorn wrote:Thanks to Michael Clerizo for a monumental waste of his and everyone who reads this shits time. Who the fuck cares?? But I do have a separate "nomenclature" for MB&F.
MB&F should fall under the "Butt fucking ugly over designed garish stupid technologically advanced and totally useless for anything but a butt plug for some uber rich clueless motherfucker who thinks it's cool to drop major coin on the most expensive version of the "Mr. Machine" toy from the 60's ever made and only assholes would wear one" category.

This reads like Robby Burns, so it does.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 26th 2018, 9:43pm

A certain fake horologist likes to push his own nomenclature as the standard - and every single time I see it being done by anyone, I'm reminded of the unfortunate fact of his existence.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk