The attack of the SuperFakeseven years ago, watch fan Andrew

The attack of the SuperFakeseven years ago, watch fan Andrew

Postby koimaster » January 3rd 2018, 4:16pm

Seven years ago, watch fan Andrew Dakin bought a Movado watch on eBay for $500. It looked like a mint timepiece, well-maintained and classically styled. He had just started collecting watches, so he was happy to get a deal on a unique and valuable timepiece.

“At that point I was probably like 30 watches in so I thought I knew what I was doing,” said Dakin, describing his early collecting experiences.

Many first-time collectors like to create huge collections of watches, picking up cheaper pieces to get a feel for the market. This Movado was something special, however. It was made by a classic maker made famous by their ultra-minimalist Museum watch, a piece featuring a dot, a noon and nothing else. The watch arrived in the mail and it looked legitimate. He wore it for a while and then took it to a jeweler to see how much it would be worth if he cleaned it up and resold it.

The jeweler took the watch to the back of the shop and came back upset.

It was a fake. A very good fake.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/03/the-a ... uperfakes/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The attack of the SuperFakeseven years ago, watch fan An

Postby conjurer » January 3rd 2018, 4:24pm

You have to be a real fucking load to get gypped by a fake Movado.
I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2018, 4:47pm

conjurer wrote:You have to be a real fucking load to get gypped by a fake Movado.

It must be a bitch for the fakers to expertly re-create the intricate dial pattern.
Why are there no pictures of said fake Movado? It would help others avoid such fates.
I bet that fucking jeweler took the watch out back and pulled the old movement switcheroo and kept the original 39.95 ETA quartz movement for himself.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 3rd 2018, 6:49pm

Indeed - no pics, no telling if the jeweller was right or wrong about the watch. People bring watches to jewellers, as they all too often see watches as jewelry. So they bring it to someone, who can likely work miracles with silver or gold, but will take the opportunity to make a quick buck, even though the probability of them getting it right is beyond low. I've seen too many stories of jewellers notoriously fucking up watch repairs or quoting $1000 for $80 worth of a fix.

A lot of insufferably obvious stuff in the article. Besides, since it's yet another round of masturbatory praise for American pocket watches (fans of these watches and their attitude are my main reason for not getting one), and I know only one person indulging in using the term "super-fake", I think I know who the author might have talked to - and that man usually can't tell a Lemania from a Sea-Gull.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk