Cheap bronze watches

Cheap bronze watches

Postby Pubbie » December 18th 2017, 9:06am

Tudor, Oris, Panerai and others all charge a shit ton more money for bronze because they can. Even Archimede does it, and their watches contain practically nothing of anything at all. Bronze is apparently more expensive to buy but easier to work, and since the material cost of the case of a luxury ten-grand watch is basically nil (50g of 316L stainless costs about 20 cents, or 1/25,000th of the wholsale price) it's all about the value-add. And there is little difference in that; in fact bronze may be cheaper to finish.

But wait! Timex is selling a "solid bronze" (so I assume not ion-plated brass in a bronze colour) Allied. £66. Sixty-six quid. That includes 20% government theft - oops sorry, tax - as well. Is this really bronze?

https://www.timex.co.uk/allied/TW2R57600LH.html
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Cheap bronze watches

Postby Hawk » December 18th 2017, 9:49am

I don't know if the specific example is solid bronze but there's no reason why it couldn't be. As you note the difference in material / machining costs is negligible. Lum-Tec markets some bronze cased examples for fairly pedestrian price points - though well north of that Timex.

It would seem the end product cost for any material not steel is and has been disconnected from any market reality.

As example a gold GMT Master II is about 20 large more than the steel variety. The GMT Master II gold weighs around 150 grams or 5.3 ounces bracelet included. I can pick up the phone and buy 22 ounces of 18kt gold for 20 grand at today's prices. Hence if my maths hasn't failed me Rolex is getting around 4 times more for gold than what the actual cost difference would suggest.

One would almost assume one is paying for exclusivity first and gold second. 'Cause if anybody is paying 20,000 for 150 grams of 18Kt based solely on the material they are well and truly fucked.

Bronze probably similar. The high dollar bronze products and gold watches in general will continue to sell for prices which are utterly divorced from the material cost difference and identical in manufacture cost. When in the thrall of my inner cynic I wonder if I could buy a bunch of 18Kt gold for 950.00 an ounce then sell it on the 'bay for 3,775.00 / ounce by proclaiming it identical to Rolex Gold (or Patek or Piaget etc.)
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » December 18th 2017, 10:25am

https://www.timex.co.uk/allied/TW2R7440 ... ed#start=1

Product details on similar cases say Brass case. Then underneath "bronze" -whatever that's supposed to indicate.

My guess is the "base metal" of brass with a "bronze layering"

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » December 18th 2017, 11:02am

foghorn wrote:https://www.timex.co.uk/allied/TW2R74400LG.html?cgid=archive-allied#start=1

Product details on similar cases say Brass case. Then underneath "bronze" -whatever that's supposed to indicate.

There's a lot of bronze / brass crossover terminology most of which is encouraged by the industry group Copper Development Association. A lot of what is called bronze is actually brass.

I'm not certain about the Timex but layering bronze is less probable than using a "bronze like" brass throughout and/or chemically treating the brass making it indistinguishable visually from bronze.

Boring trivia of the day - BHMA's architectural standards list a bunch of bronze products none of which are. CDA 280 Muntz bronze isn't only brass it's high zinc brass which is "brassier" than many common brass alloys. Bottom line: if there ain't any tin in the shit it ain't bronze. Lum-Tec and (I think) most of the big guys had tin in the soup. It is somewhat more challenging to machine than brass. And the only reason I got marinated in this stuff is because I was dealing with foreign vendors and translations are literal. Hence calling something bronze when it isn't results in confusion and lost money. Same applies to wood species - mahogany isn't lauan and never will be. Cherry doesn't grow in Brazil despite the claims of flooring suppliers.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » December 18th 2017, 12:11pm

Hawk wrote:Boring trivia of the day - BHMA's architectural standards list a bunch of bronze products none of which are. CDA 280 Muntz bronze isn't only brass it's high zinc brass which is "brassier" than many common brass alloys. Bottom line: if there ain't any tin in the shit it ain't bronze. Lum-Tec and (I think) most of the big guys had tin in the soup. It is somewhat more challenging to machine than brass. And the only reason I got marinated in this stuff is because I was dealing with foreign vendors and translations are literal. Hence calling something bronze when it isn't results in confusion and lost money. Same applies to wood species - mahogany isn't lauan and never will be. Cherry doesn't grow in Brazil despite the claims of flooring suppliers.

I checked you out, and I now want you to take the journey to lick my taint. It's small, but vast.

--Temerity, to Mr. Neckbeard.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » December 18th 2017, 2:39pm

foghorn wrote:https://www.timex.co.uk/allied/TW2R74400LG.html?cgid=archive-allied#start=1

I think that's conclusive - it's rusting, bottom-of-tow-canal-grade brass with an IP coating. Still, for very little money it gives you the look of bronze and raw eggs won't do anything to it!

I'm off to Steinhart's website.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » December 18th 2017, 4:19pm

Pubbie wrote:

I think that's conclusive - it's rusting, bottom-of-tow-canal-grade brass with an IP coating. Still, for very little money it gives you the look of bronze and raw eggs won't do anything to it!

I'm off to Steinhart's website.

Might want to check out the Evants, if there any left(Gnomen)...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » December 19th 2017, 3:28pm

Thunder1 wrote:Might want to check out the Evants, if there any left(Gnomen)...

I looked, thanks - it's a little guppy-looking but if they make one with a numbered bezel...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » December 20th 2017, 9:25am

Just rec'd my pre-loved Evant..41mm wide marine grade bronze casing, black fume dial & black ceramic bezel..have ordered a green canvas strap, but the 20mm brown leather strap, while still a little stiff, that it comes w/ works well..I don't know guys, I'll post photos soon, but quite an interesting(and limited availability) offering I think for this price point($529.00 new, $500.00 pre-loved)...the amber dialed version of this Tropic Diver is still available..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » December 20th 2017, 9:38am

Has the patina begun to set in??

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » December 20th 2017, 9:57am

foghorn wrote:Has the patina begun to set in??

Nope...still looks similar to rose gold..
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk