The Many Watches of James Bond 007

Re: The Many Watches of James Bond 007

Postby bedlam » December 12th 2017, 4:50pm

Pubbie wrote:
bedlam wrote:Its amazing how much some Sub owners (particularly TZ-UKers) still make a big deal about the Bond connection, yet he hasn't worn a Rolex in nearly 30 years.

I think it's the yin to Omega's yang. Rolex didn't have to pay to get its products on the screen...

That's an assumption, its more likely that the problem was that they did have to pay. As movie makers realised there was a business in product placement they started to charge for stuff to be shown on screen. We don't know why Rolex dropped away, but as the process started to look like paid advertising to them it might have hit up against other corporate advertising priorities and they let it go. We don't know why they stopped but having to pay is in fact a leading contender.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » December 12th 2017, 5:46pm

bedlam wrote:
Pubbie wrote:
bedlam wrote:Its amazing how much some Sub owners (particularly TZ-UKers) still make a big deal about the Bond connection, yet he hasn't worn a Rolex in nearly 30 years.

I think it's the yin to Omega's yang. Rolex didn't have to pay to get its products on the screen...

That's an assumption, its more likely that the problem was that they did have to pay. As movie makers realised there was a business in product placement they started to charge for stuff to be shown on screen. We don't know why Rolex dropped away, but as the process started to look like paid advertising to them it might have hit up against other corporate advertising priorities and they let it go. We don't know why they stopped but having to pay is in fact a leading contender.

It is an assumption, but it's kind of the same point - Rolex didn't want to pay, and Swatch did. When Goldeneye came around, product placement was the new thing (BMW Z3! Perrier!) and Hayek was waiting in the wings with public money backing and a marketing strategy. For me, having to pay to become top dog carries with it a whiff of the... desperate. But then again, Omega is now selling eight-grand dive watches (out of sale season anyway) and Rolex is paying Federer to put a DJ after the match, so they're both at it now.

Fair play, the competition has given us new Submariners which are no tougher than an old one, but certainly feel the part. And now all consumers pay so much more. Not sure that's progress, but then I speak with the bias of someone who can't play :3
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » December 12th 2017, 7:53pm

conjurer wrote:Ian Fleming was only a cut or two above Clive Cussler. John Le Carre could wipe the floor with both of 'em, and then sodomise their arses with cooking fat, Dirtbox-style.

I did enjoy the film based on Le Carre's book, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. But that's that. Haven't quite had the opportunity to appreciate Le Carre's writing. I have read the first few pages of The Constant Gardener, and it was just this exact sort of boring that makes me put the kibosh on reading any more books from a particular author. Long story short, it felt as if it was written by the Jane Austen of spy thriller writers. And I just happen to share Mark Twain's attitude towards Austen.

I agree about Cussler being a rubbish writer. I mean, he has a vivid imagination, so vivid that I'd like to know what is he smoking, but his writing style sucks flaccid lingam.

I've read one book by Fleming, and it had a similar effect on me as books by Clancy and Ludlum - I know it isn't ambitious literature, kind of a chewing gum for the eyes, really, but it is good enough to kill time on a flight or on the train. When boredom is the only alternative to reading, these books usually have me beyond hooked - it would probably take Scarlett Johansson offering to give me a blowjob to distract me from reading.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » December 12th 2017, 9:29pm

Racer-X wrote:
biglove wrote:Craig is the best thing to happen to the series since the end of the Connery era.

Sorry, Russ but Brosnan and Dalton damn near killed the franchise for me.

No worries Travis, I was referring the awesome Goldeneye Nintendo 64 video game that I played for many hours back in the day.

How's this...I remember buying my KIDS an N64. Fuck, I am old...
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 12th 2017, 11:12pm

Hey, now: The Fleming series, yeah, sure - but no spy books have never had an impact on me like the paperback Man From U.N.C.L.E. book series; someone snuck one into the sixth grade library, and it was the first time I ever read about a beautiful, naked woman in incredible, reverential tones.

Every word of this one is true.
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » May 25th 2018, 9:29am

But in the book series he always wore a Rolex Submariner -

https://www.simmonsjewelers.com/james-bond-watch/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » May 25th 2018, 9:45am

All I know is that I own a Rolex and an Omega Seamaster, and the fact that they were worn in movies by a fictional spy had noting at all to do with why I own them. The day I see some superhero or movie macho man wear something then rush to the store to copy them, well, open the door to the loony bin, here comes Dweeby.

Another thing I've never done is wear a baseball jersey with someone else's name on it. I always loved what Don Imus once said to one of his cast members who was going to a game with a Derek Jeter jersey on: "What, are you seven? What, you think the manager's gonna put you in?"
Since many people weren't in lockstep with his beloved cheese box shit watch brand, The Cruise King ran off blowing snot bubbles, far away from his once-beloved forum. Here, eat this mudpie, Paw Paw. It tastes like a Hershey bar. Go ahead, dig in.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » May 25th 2018, 10:24am

This is a close as I'll ever get to a big crown 6536.

I have a regimental NATO strap arriving today. It is 20mm not 16 or 17mm like in the movies. It will make Foggy crazy.

I will probably get my Beretta out too.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bobbee » May 25th 2018, 11:14am

That dial could do with a scrub... :D
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » May 25th 2018, 11:33am

smellody wrote:This is a close as I'll ever get to a big crown 6536.

I have a regimental NATO strap arriving today. It is 20mm not 16 or 17mm like in the movies. It will make Foggy crazy.

I will probably get my Beretta out too.

.25 cal. right? Despite Bond's many successful kills with it, it apparently got snagged on his shoulder holster and caused him some difficulty. Q, being sniffy, called it a "lady's gun", took it away and provided Bond a .38 cal Colt Police Positive to deal with Dr. No. Later on Bond laconically cabled Q with the message "Colt not effective against flamethrower."
"General, those brave men will not surrender - what shall we do?"
"Kill them all then, colonel. I would not have them be brave in the Devil's service!"

Major Gen'l. Thomas J. Jackson CSA
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » May 25th 2018, 11:39am

Would love this rarity.

ImageImage
"O' cruel fate, to be thusly boned! Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee." ~ Bender Bending Rodriguez

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine." ~ Cory Doctorow
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby JAS1125 » May 25th 2018, 12:40pm

koimaster wrote:But in the book series he always wore a Rolex Submariner -

https://www.simmonsjewelers.com/james-bond-watch/

To my knowledge the Submariner was for the movies only. In the novels it was an Oyster Perpetual. Fleming himself wore the Explorer.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to General Watch talk