Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Re: Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Postby AlbertaTime » August 7th 2017, 3:49pm

Tzimisces wrote:Domains? Hosts? What is this sorcery?

Every website has a an address/URL/"domain name" often suchandsuch.com or .net, or .otherthing.

That address or domain URL is just a pointer. It points to the the "domain that is named", otherwise known as "server space" at a "host" or "domain host."

Files at domain hosts follow a directory structure, just like on your computer. On your computer, for example, you might have C:/my documents/legalstuff/divorce/freedom.doc, or something. Well, every file on a host is similar. At suchansuch.com, you might have a directory called "watchphotos". So: suchandsuch.com/watchphotos/.

You might put a Rolex photo in the watchphotos folder at suchandsuch.com. That photo's address would be: suchandsuch.com/watchphotos/rolexphoto.jpg.

And so it goes...you can link to a photo by address, like http://www.rongood.net/amchpr/Chinese_Mechanical_Watches/L/beijing_40_2.jpg, without actually showing it. or you can post it, like is usually done, like this, using the same address:

Hope that helps :-)
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » August 15th 2017, 9:13am

About Photobucket

Capture Forever. Share Today.

Photobucket is the premier destination for uploading, downloading, sharing, linking and finding photos, videos and graphics. Host all your images and videos for free, then share them by email or on social sites like Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. Your free Photobucket account can store thousands of photos and hours of video. Learn more

Our history

Photobucket was founded in 2003 and acquired by Fox Interactive Media, Inc., a division of News Corp. (NYSE: NWS) in July 2007. Photobucket merged with Ontela, Inc., in December 2009. The combined company, known as Photobucket Corporation, has a massive audience of more than 23 million monthly unique users in the U.S.* who upload over four million images and videos per day from the Web, Smartphones, and connected digital cameras. Photobucket is backed by News Corp., Steamboat Ventures, Oak Investments Partners, Voyager Capital, and Covera Ventures, and has offices in Denver, CO and San Francisco, CA.

Visit our blog for the latest news and announcements.

Read more: http://photobucket.com#ixzz4pqBYmkwY

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby koimaster » August 15th 2017, 4:13pm

There is a chrome extension for $1.99 that will download your albums quickly. photobucket downloader, the paid version, not the free one.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 15th 2017, 5:57pm

Downloaded all the pictures I had there, and deleted the account at Photofuckit. I don't think they'll be too concerned with the reason for deleting that I have provided them with:

"Deleting the account, as I won't have my pictures hosted by a bunch of fucking fleecers, who swindle people into paying for nothing that couldn't be had for free elsewhere. I hope that swindle of a business goes belly up, as it fucking should. Fare thee well and good fucking riddance, you sorry bunch of blithering wankers."
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » August 15th 2017, 6:10pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Downloaded all the pictures I had there, and deleted the account at Photofuckit. I don't think they'll be too concerned with the reason for deleting that I have provided them with:

"Deleting the account, as I won't have my pictures hosted by a bunch of fucking fleecers, who swindle people into paying for nothing that couldn't be had for free elsewhere. I hope that swindle of a business goes belly up, as it fucking should. Fare thee well and good fucking riddance, you sorry bunch of blithering wankers."

:bvbvbv:

:dsdd:

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby bedlam » August 15th 2017, 7:07pm

I'd be surprised if PB is still around in 2 yrs. They appear to decided to kill the company themselves :shock: :scratch:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Postby smellody » August 15th 2017, 7:13pm

^^^ agree.
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » August 15th 2017, 7:14pm

bedlam wrote:I'd be surprised if PB is still around in 2 yrs. They appear to decided to kill the company themselves :shock: :scratch:

They really did. I came up with about six alternatives without even looking all that hard. Cripes, I started up an Imgur account months ago, when, even with a PAID PB account, I couldn't log on about 10 times. Got fed up and already had the Imgur thing going.

It won't take long for PB to go belly up - heck, even if you have an Amazon Prime account, you can store photos there for free if that's all you need to do. This won't end well for PB, but who gives a rat's ass.
Proof that quartz is still not only viable, but sometimes, something to covet: Grand Seiko.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » August 16th 2017, 2:11pm

I just finally got notice yesterday that I will need to upgrade my account. I'm on an annual plan at (I think) $8/year. Apparently I can continue to use that until the end of 2018. But I will be switching elsewhere sometime over the next few months.

Their Download Album stopped working after I got about 8 of my 40 albums. It's not a big deal, I can rebuild those that I want from my iPhoto anyway. I won't bother with some older ones.

The site is almost unusable until I log into my account. The popup ads sometimes get in the way of logging in. It used to work okay when logged in, but in recent months more and more features seem to be broken. I really can't imagine what business strategy they have now. Do they honestly think I would go from $8/year to $399/year? For decining service? I can only assume they are losing money and decided to try one last hail-mary change before dying.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby koimaster » August 16th 2017, 3:26pm

SynMike wrote:I just finally got notice yesterday that I will need to upgrade my account. I'm on an annual plan at (I think) $8/year. Apparently I can continue to use that until the end of 2018. But I will be switching elsewhere sometime over the next few months.

Their Download Album stopped working after I got about 8 of my 40 albums. It's not a big deal, I can rebuild those that I want from my iPhoto anyway. I won't bother with some older ones.

The site is almost unusable until I log into my account. The popup ads sometimes get in the way of logging in. It used to work okay when logged in, but in recent months more and more features seem to be broken. I really can't imagine what business strategy they have now. Do they honestly think I would go from $8/year to $399/year? For decining service? I can only assume they are losing money and decided to try one last hail-mary change before dying.

Just as easy as using chrome even once, get the $1.99 photobucket downloader and away you go. I have down loaded 6000+ photos already in about 5 hours.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby AJC » August 16th 2017, 4:10pm

bedlam wrote:I'd be surprised if PB is still around in 2 yrs. They appear to decided to kill the company themselves :shock: :scratch:

On a related note. I have to switch cell phone carriers. I need a new phone but Virgin Mobile USA decided to stop carrying ALL Android phones and only carry the iPhone 7 for a whopping $769.99

I appreciate the $35 unlimited plan, but why switch from a variety of phones to choose from to ONE for nearly $800. Goodbye Virgin Mobile! See you in the corporation cemetery next to Photobucket.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » August 16th 2017, 4:46pm

AJC wrote:

On a related note. I have to switch cell phone carriers. I need a new phone but Virgin Mobile USA decided to stop carrying ALL Android phones and only carry the iPhone 7 for a whopping $769.99

I appreciate the $35 unlimited plan, but why switch from a variety of phones to choose from to ONE for nearly $800. Goodbye Virgin Mobile! See you in the corporation cemetery next to Photobucket.

Too bad you are not old enough for AARP. I have 4 lines (all cell phones of my own) for $66.00 -5GB data, unlimited calls and texting (fuck texting and trump both)

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby SynMike » August 16th 2017, 7:31pm

koimaster wrote:Just as easy as using chrome even once, get the $1.99 photobucket downloader and away you go. I have down loaded 6000+ photos already in about 5 hours.

Thanks. Based on your advice I bought that Chrome extension yesterday. It is not working for me. It stalls just like trying the regular download button provided by photobucket. It's like Photobucket saw that I was going to leave and they turned off a switch.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby koimaster » August 16th 2017, 7:36pm

Interesting. I just exit the album i get stalled on and hit the google download again. In some cases it several tries but i got all of downloaded

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby SynMike » November 8th 2017, 12:06am

My no-ads account at photobucket expired a little while ago. I have switched over to using imgur.

But my photobucket images still seem to be working okay. I guess this might be becaase the account agreement I had requires them to keep serving? Here is a test to see if my pics are still working:

SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby SynMike » November 8th 2017, 12:06am

Well I can see it.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby gerdson » November 8th 2017, 3:32am

I have actually closed my account with them. It didn't work anymore anyways, and there is no way in the world I am going to pay the amount they have asked for. A couple of bucks/year would have been ok, but that has not been offered. So screw them. It is a shame for older threads, created before I moved on to servimg.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby SynMike » November 8th 2017, 9:49am

gerdson wrote:I have actually closed my account with them. It didn't work anymore anyways, and there is no way in the world I am going to pay the amount they have asked for. A couple of bucks/year would have been ok, but that has not been offered. So screw them. It is a shame for older threads, created before I moved on to servimg.

Does servimg allow you to make albums or sets of photos you can sort and reuse? Or do you upload a photo and just get a link to post?
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Postby gerdson » November 9th 2017, 10:37pm

Hi Mike
servimg.com has a very basic user interface. You can create categories, and You can also move pictures between categories. That's about it. There is no download feature, unless You do it manually by "rightclicking" single images. During upload, pictures can be downsized automatically, which is convenient for forums. On photobucket I used to manually do this before uploading, another reason why I quit it. There is a bit of advertising, but it is not too bad (nothing is for free...). A bit in the bottom of the page, and a single pop-up that You can ignore. The user interface is clean.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » February 5th 2018, 1:44pm

On 2018-02-05 10:15, Photobucket wrote:
> Get Started Now! Two Plans, Both With 3rd Party Hosting! No matter if
> you run a Blog, Forum, Website or eCommerce site, we have a plan that
> will fit your needs.
>
> [1]
>
> TWO PLANS, BOTH WITH 3RD PARTY HOSTING!
>
> NO MATTER IF YOU RUN A BLOG, FORUM, WEBSITE OR ECOMMERCE SITE, WE HAVE
> A PLAN THAT WILL FIT YOUR NEEDS.
>
> INTRODUCING, PHOTOBUCKET'S COMMERCIAL AND NON COMMERCIAL PLANS!
>
> Click Here for More! [2]
>
> Need help choosing a plan? Email me at
>
> bcampbell@photobucket.com
>

My response to them this morning.

photobucket.JPG

Are you fucking crazy or just plain stupid? For years you tell people to upload photos that can be used free of charge on forums and even provide the code. Then because you start losing money you hold everyone hostage and stop existing forums with thousands of links to your site from using the photos.

You cause historical information threads and others to be damaged , destroying in some cases years of work done by members of these forums. FUCK YOU and I am one of the forum owners who is working to get a class action suit against your firm and the money men behind it.

Once again, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOUR COMPANY & do not bother me nor any other forum owner with your blackmail attempts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Wasp » February 5th 2018, 2:49pm

^ That. Kudos Koi
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » February 5th 2018, 3:14pm

Thing of all the important facts and emotions wasted in that void. My blogger friend had to hire someone to replace all photos on a very important blog in my industryindustry, took weeks.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » February 5th 2018, 4:08pm

koimaster wrote:
On 2018-02-05 10:15, Photobucket wrote:
> Get Started Now! Two Plans, Both With 3rd Party Hosting! No matter if
> you run a Blog, Forum, Website or eCommerce site, we have a plan that
> will fit your needs.
>
> [1]
>
> TWO PLANS, BOTH WITH 3RD PARTY HOSTING!
>
> NO MATTER IF YOU RUN A BLOG, FORUM, WEBSITE OR ECOMMERCE SITE, WE HAVE
> A PLAN THAT WILL FIT YOUR NEEDS.
>
> INTRODUCING, PHOTOBUCKET'S COMMERCIAL AND NON COMMERCIAL PLANS!
>
> Click Here for More! [2]
>
> Need help choosing a plan? Email me at
>
> bcampbell@photobucket.com
>

My response to them this morning.

photobucket.JPG

Are you fucking crazy or just plain stupid? For years you tell people to upload photos that can be used free of charge on forums and even provide the code. Then because you start losing money you hold everyone hostage and stop existing forums with thousands of links to your site from using the photos.

You cause historical information threads and others to be damaged , destroying in some cases years of work done by members of these forums. FUCK YOU and I am one of the forum owners who is working to get a class action suit against your firm and the money men behind it.

Once again, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOUR COMPANY & do not bother me nor any other forum owner with your blackmail attempts.

That. Was. Brilliant.
:okk:
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

A man's got to know his limitations...
Inspector Harry Callahan

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » February 5th 2018, 4:53pm

It gets better too. Take a look at the email address they want you to contact at photobucket in image 1. Then look at the second image which shows that email address is undeliverable.

Success Manager! Oh fuck off again.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » February 5th 2018, 4:56pm

I don't know way everyone's pissed at PB these days. They have FREE pop-ups.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

PreviousNext

Return to General Watch talk