Chart Of Top Watch Companies And Their Brands

Chart Of Top Watch Companies And Their Brands

Postby Racer-X » July 10th 2018, 1:17pm

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Chart Of Top Watch Companies And Their Brands

Postby Pubbie » July 10th 2018, 1:55pm

Good but CVC isn’t a watchmaker, just the majority shareholder - unless you’re planning to list the majority owners of Swatch, Richemont and LVMH stock ; )
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » July 10th 2018, 2:32pm

Pubbie wrote:Good but CVC isn’t a watchmaker, just the majority shareholder - unless you’re planning to list the majority owners of Swatch, Richemont and LVMH stock ; )

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 10th 2018, 2:45pm

Racer-X wrote:
Pubbie wrote:Good but CVC isn’t a watchmaker, just the majority shareholder - unless you’re planning to list the majority owners of Swatch, Richemont and LVMH stock ; )

T literally MMLH.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » July 10th 2018, 4:39pm

Richmont has the goods.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » July 11th 2018, 3:54pm

https://wristwatchreview.com/2018/07/10/a-reminder-that-watch-companies-rule-everything-around-you/

Why am I talking about this and showing you all this image? Because it’s important to understand that as much as we love watches – and I truly do – watchmaking is a still a business and business is, if you ask watchmakers, pretty bad. Watch sales are flat or down year after year and these massive conglomerates are cutting corners and releasing pieces that are derivative and aimed at flash over substance. That’s fine. Business is business. But I encourage you look at watch companies with a more critical eye. These companies bought centuries old brands and turned them into what you see today and their history often has little to do with what they show off at Basel. For my money I’d much rather support a watchmaker who creates art than a watchmaker that pumps out a million identical pieces every day.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » July 12th 2018, 1:32am

I hear that business is tough. But I don't see prices dropping...they keep going up.

My watch repairer is a sole trader and he is run off his feet and has appointed two other watch makers to assist in the last year.

When he is sitting on his hands and the price of a steel Rolex drops I'll be more likely to accept things are getting dire.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk