The Madness Of Daylight Savings Time

The Madness Of Daylight Savings Time

Postby spanky1 » March 10th 2018, 4:08pm

"It’s absurd – and fitting – that a century later, opponents and supporters of daylight saving are still not sure exactly what it does. Despite its name, daylight saving has never saved anyone anything. But it has proven to be a fantastically effective retail spending plan."

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 180968435/
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The Madness Of Daylight Savings Time

Postby smellody » March 10th 2018, 4:33pm

I fucking hate it. It is fucking stupid. My body click will be FUCKED for a month. Idiots
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby foghorn » March 10th 2018, 4:42pm

It's no big deal. I've experienced it for 65 years and it really isn't a big deal. It's a freakin' hour twice a year. It's like wanting all your automatics to be within COSC specs.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » March 10th 2018, 4:43pm

No it is stupid and fucks with my head.

One world time zone. One and done.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bedlam » March 10th 2018, 6:24pm

I see the EU countries are tossing it.

It is a pain in the arse here in Oz as the eastern states have it but the western don't. So in summer they are an additonal hour ahead (three hours) and the reduced overlap in the business day makes communication harder for no real gain.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » March 10th 2018, 6:40pm

We don't do daylight savings here and that's something I would never lobby for.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 11th 2018, 12:17am

I really fucking hate it when I agree with Mr. Spanky.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » March 11th 2018, 3:05am

Amazing what happens when the political forum closes for a day. We stop arguing like crazy people and find things that we can all agree with.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » March 11th 2018, 3:38am

smellody wrote:No it is stupid and fucks with my head.

There already is one. If you enforced it though you’d get this:

“Give me a call at 11 am, just before I enjoy a nice lunch”
“Fuck off, I’m asleep then. Didn’t you know I’m in another time zone? Go and learn some fucking geography”

Not going to happen... even if it does, countries will quickly develop their own timezones anyway otherwise they've had to change their clocks to record "12 pm" in the middle of the night, or late afternoon, etc.
Last edited by Pubbie on March 11th 2018, 5:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » March 11th 2018, 4:16am

smellody wrote:No it is stupid and fucks with my head.

We have a GMT system...not the most convenient for everyone though.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » March 11th 2018, 5:22am

My two dogs usually wake up and wander out to wake me up at the same time ---- sunrise. So, now they get "up" an hour later --- but to them it's the same time.
I'm 73 and even as a child (not an exceptionally bright one, either) I could never understand how you could "make" an extra hour of sunlight, as was the popular idea back then.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » March 11th 2018, 6:20am

conjurer wrote:I really fucking hate it when I agree with Mr. Spanky.

Yep..my dogs, young as they are, are used to being fed around 5 a.m...they'll have a problem letting me lie in bed for another hour...so, because they're so vocal, it will be miserable for me the next few weeks..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » March 11th 2018, 7:07am

bedlam wrote:I see the EU countries are tossing it.

It is a pain in the arse here in Oz as the eastern states have it but the western don't. So in summer they are an additonal hour ahead (three hours) and the reduced overlap in the business day makes communication harder for no real gain.

It is a pain in ass - it fucks with the offsets for friends in Asia.

Watch and Oz content: The Seiko Astron has a special case: Lord Howe Island. Once it determines it's location DST is a 30 minute adjustment.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » March 11th 2018, 7:27am

My watch says 6:25. My phone says 7:25. It's dark outside. This is fucking stupid.

I'm not sure if I am rested or hungry.

Whoever the fuck the do gooder who still think this is a good idea are fucking idiots.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby spanky1 » March 11th 2018, 7:48am

Reset all the wall clocks and changed out the AA batteries. I must admit, I do like the longer daylight hours in the afternoons for playing golf. Getting up in the mornings for work sucks, you never feel like you get enough sleep.
spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » March 11th 2018, 8:25am

No big deal. I can cope.It reminds me of how many quartz watches I have.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » March 11th 2018, 8:31am

I'm taking a stand and will not be adjusting my watch.

Why the fuck do the threads on my crown need undue wear for some fucking pansy asses who are happy and excited about and extra hour of stupid, fucking sunlight.

Get up earlier then. Stupid fuckers
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Hawk » March 11th 2018, 9:16am

smellody wrote:I'm taking a stand and will not be adjusting my watch.

Why the fuck do the threads on my crown need undue wear for some fucking pansy asses who are happy and excited about and extra hour of stupid, fucking sunlight.

What is perhaps worse is that there isn't even an extra hour of sunlight - they merely stole it from the front and pasted it on the ass end of the day.

I would assume that anything gained by an extra hour of light in the afternoon is negated by it's loss in the morning.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » March 11th 2018, 9:19am

^^^^ agree. FUCKED up redistribution of light.
smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » March 11th 2018, 10:14am

Sunlight is important to trees and birds and butterflies and shit. Sunshine should not be redistributed for the rich capitalist shitheels!!
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » March 14th 2018, 9:55am

Hawk wrote:

What is perhaps worse is that there isn't even an extra hour of sunlight - they merely stole it from the front and pasted it on the ass end of the day.

I would assume that anything gained by an extra hour of light in the afternoon is negated by it's loss in the morning.

The theory goes that the hour of light you steal from the beginning of the day isn't used by anyone, not even farmers who have to get up in the dark anyway, and saves on power used at the end of the day. Originally introduced by the Germans, and probably war related. Hated by northern English and Scots for the dark mornings it causes in March, by loved by the south for the long summer evenings it causes, really the best thing to do is:

{deep breath}

smash up all the countries and returning to having tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, which can war and squabble then get taken over again, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord

and so on.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » March 14th 2018, 10:30am

Pubbie wrote:
Hawk wrote:

The theory goes that the hour of light you steal from the beginning of the day isn't used by anyone, not even farmers who have to get up in the dark anyway, and saves on power used at the end of the day. Originally introduced by the Germans, and probably war related. Hated by northern English and Scots for the dark mornings it causes in March, by loved by the south for the long summer evenings it causes, really the best thing to do is:

{deep breath}

smash up all the countries and returning to having tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, which can war and squabble then get taken over again, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord will introduce a single timezone, and in future years on some new replacement for the internet people can complain about it to the point of distraction, then countries will split apart again into tiny little fiefdoms, all with their own perfectly tuned timezones, at which point there will be more wars and squabbles and invasions, at which point the overlord

and so on.

Indeed. To follow this to its logical conclusion, why not introduce personal time zones ( I say it's a quarter after 3 and I say the hell with it)? This is all part of my idea of the individual franchise i.e. you are the sole owner of your person. You hold the rights not only to personal real and intellectual property, but to any and all of your interactions with other individuals. You thus have the right to charge a fee (either flat or per hour/per minute and so on) for participating in said interactions. An example: telephone rings, you answer and the caller identifies himself and asks to speak with you - you reply "I'll be happy to speak with you - the rate is $5.00 a minute, billed to the second." At this point the caller may respond with his own fee structure or decline to continue the conversation. Since most all such interactions are now recorded in one way or another, setting up a world-wide electronic billing and payment platform should be relatively easy. In fact Caller ID can be modified to not only identify the caller but display his fee and show yours to him as well as the accept or decline decision. The market will undoubtedly determine the baseline for interaction fees.
I'm your huckleberry.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby kevco » March 14th 2018, 11:26am

Nucking Futs
kevco
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » March 14th 2018, 12:26pm

Someone is smoking some good stuff...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk