Found 400 Watches

Found 400 Watches

Postby SynMike » October 7th 2017, 1:50pm

My friend just took ownership of a 50+ year old jewelry store. The repair department has boxes of items that were never picked up. So far we have found about 400 watches. He has a few more boxes we will tackle next week so we may end up at about 600. Why didn’t owners pick them up? Some unrepairable, some too expensive to repair, some the customer just never showed up. I am helping him sort. His repair guy will go back over the ones that seem worthwhile.

About 1/2 are boring quartz watches that would have sold for $40-$60, no name, now out of style, essentially worthless now. There are a surprising number of fakes, most labelled as unrepairable ;-). The non-fakes will probably go on ebay in 5 pound bags. :-)

Here are some of the ones that I personally found most interesting. There are about 70 mechanicals so far, Seikos, Bulovas, and a various vintage incabloc era. I hope to get one of the Seikos and the Longines in these photos. I’m wearing the Seiko 6119-7180 now: it is running about 2 minute slow per day but I assume it will be better after servicing.

Here are some pics:

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Found 400 Watches

Postby Racer-X » October 7th 2017, 2:02pm

Holy shit. That is awesome. Looking forward to the rest!
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » October 7th 2017, 2:24pm

Wow!!!..what a discovery..you guys are going to have some fun...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 7th 2017, 2:30pm

Dangulus Fuckus

That Pulsar was worth a ton back in the day!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AntFarm » October 7th 2017, 2:59pm

The Seiko Navigator is in really nice shape. Could that be an original bracelet? Nice so far!
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby smellody » October 7th 2017, 3:36pm

That's super Cool! I want the Tooter!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby AlbertaTime » October 7th 2017, 4:01pm

Cool post, wonderful finds!!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » October 7th 2017, 4:15pm

Wow! Just wow!
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 7th 2017, 4:19pm

This gets a wow from me, too. Those old Omega Geneves, if serviced right, should run just about forever. Lots of other great stuff there too.

Wow!
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 7th 2017, 4:39pm

The pocket Omega looks like a cal. 18SPB, however the calibre number is determined by the diameter of the movement in lignes, and this would range from 12''' to 19''' (the smallest and largest that I know of), with the layout being universal for all these sizes. The serial around the 14XXXXX mark would be somewhere between 1898-1900, I guess - at least that'd be my estimate based on Chuck Maddox's serial numbers chart. Can't see any Swiss hallmarks on the case (since the markings are illegible, can't determine case material- better pic of that needed), so I assume it has been cased locally in the US.

Of the Omegas pictured, I guess the Geneve f300 tuning fork is the one you'd really want to have - the f300s are quite collectible these days.

The ladies' ones are worth zilch, but I guess they make fine gifts for lasses anyway, especially that Geneve, it's the most timeless of the bunch - it is often the curse of ladies' watches, that trends in their design tend to change awfully quickly, and quite radically.

The Seikos (especially the Navigator) and the Longines are great. Especially the Longines- an Ultra-Chron in a shape that good? Get it if you can!
The Bulova Oceanographer looks interesting as well.

Pity about the Tudor, as the case is knackered- will need a new crown and stem tube, which means expenses. A fucking lot of expenses.

Never heard of La Salle, the movement doesn't ring any bells either. Never seen it before, not that I'd remember. There is only one matching (fitting the watch) trademark in Mikrolisk - La Salle, registered to the Timor Watch Co. of La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1930. My guess would be that it's from the late 1930s, mid 1940s at the latest. Obviously intended to look like a railroad watch (a popular design gimmick in PWs made for the US market from the 1930s on), although a fairly basic movement without a more precise regulator rules it out as one.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby SynMike » October 7th 2017, 11:59pm

Thanks for everyone's comments and especially or such great information about some of these watches. I know very little about vintage pieces and all of this is really helpful.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Tzimisces » October 8th 2017, 7:03am

foghorn wrote:Dangulus Fuckus

That Pulsar was worth a ton back in the day!

That's the one that caught my eye. I've been wanting an LED from my youth. I never had one, as they were too expensive for a kid. I did finally get my stepfather's old Armitron LCD circa 1980, but it wasn't the same.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » October 8th 2017, 8:11am

Dang, what a great time capsule of horological coolness!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Kahuna74 » October 8th 2017, 8:46am

wow fucking A.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby SynMike » October 8th 2017, 8:44pm

I read online that the batteries for those old Pulsar models are no longer available. That might be true, but that is only according to one internet comment.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » October 8th 2017, 9:09pm

Lots of cool stuff. I really like that Seiko that you've been wearing in the daily thread.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby SynMike » October 9th 2017, 1:24pm

I think we have about 50 watches that will interest watch geeks, maybe up to 100 after looking through a couple of other boxes. Most have been sitting in an envelop for 10-20 years. So they will all need to be serviced to be usable. We need to decide for each one whether it is worth getting serviced. I have very little experience with vintage watches so I don't know values. Can I ask for input here? Or any recommendations on the best forums to ask for value advice?

BTW, the friend who now owns all these watches is a Swatch watch collector. He has about 150 Swatch watches, most from the 80s and early 90s. He looks on them as art. He has about 100 of them mounted in picture frames, about 10 in each frame. Some very unique ones are in unopened box. He has a couple dozen he wears.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 9th 2017, 1:40pm

Timex electric probably isn't worth fixing,if it can even be fixed. The Bulova Accutron Quartz might also be tough to get repaired. The automatic Bulova might be worth a look.
I'd also do some research on the Pulsar. That might possibly be a diamond in the rough.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby smellody » October 9th 2017, 3:31pm

SynMike wrote:I think we have about 50 watches that will interest watch geeks, maybe up to 100 after looking through a couple of other boxes. Most have been sitting in an envelop for 10-20 years. So they will all need to be serviced to be usable. We need to decide for each one whether it is worth getting serviced. I have very little experience with vintage watches so I don't know values. Can I ask for input here? Or any recommendations on the best forums to ask for value advice?

BTW, the friend who now owns all these watches is a Swatch watch collector. He has about 150 Swatch watches, most from the 80s and early 90s. He looks on them as art. He has about 100 of them mounted in picture frames, about 10 in each frame. Some very unique ones are in unopened box. He has a couple dozen he wears.

I have some vintage Swatch I'd be happy to trade for that Tooter.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby svaglic » October 9th 2017, 5:36pm

If you see any Unicorns pull them out. There is a connection with the early ones and Rolex.
RWC LTD is a mark to look for when you crack the back.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » October 10th 2017, 12:04pm

I got a unique horn for those watches!
What a haul!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » October 10th 2017, 6:48pm

All I know for ding dang sure: Fix the Omegas. There's always a market for those (what appear to be) 70s models, though you won't make a mint, you'll surely make a profit.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk